Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 15.04 about to switch from upstart to systemd?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 15.04 about to switch from upstart to systemd?

Ubuntu+1

Ubuntu Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=427

Thread: is 15.04 about to switch from upstart to systemd?: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2267496
    Try Me !

Ffe

FFE: switch system init to systemd [not touch] in 15.04: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1427654

FFE = Feature Freeze Exception: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess
    Try Me !

Comment

I tried booting with systemd a couple months ago on 14.10. Everything seemed to work except one item: KDM didn't load. The package is lacking a .service file. I tried hacking one up based on examples in other distros but never got it to work. Sure, I could switch to LightDM, but I'd rather keep my computers as pure KDE as possible.

Comment

It seems...

It seems that the next Monday is the day - http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/05...el.html#t17:03
        shadeslayer whoop whoop 17:03
        shadeslayer Announce: Vivid will switch to booting with systemd next Monday, brace for impact 17:03
        shadeslayer pitti ftw 17:03
        Riddell we could do with someone testing that first 17:04
        yofel systemd runs fine for about 2 months here already 17:06
        yofel the only thing I ever had problems with was sddm when we had the systemd support enabled 17:06
        yofel er... disabled ofc 17:07

Announce: Vivid will switch to booting with systemd next Monday, brace for impact - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ch/001130.html

A quick test with the 15.04 - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers:
        Switch for a single boot
        In grub, select "Advanced options for Ubuntu", where you will find an "Ubuntu, with Linux ... (systemd)" entry. This will boot with init=/lib/systemd/systemd...

Seems to work at here - http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...svinit-in-bash
        rog132@fox6v:~$ pidof systemd && echo "systemd" || echo "other"
        1184 933 1
        systemd
        No probmesölejrpwehtqö
        Last edited by Rog132; Mar 09, 2015, 03:32 PM.
        A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
        Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          I tried booting with systemd a couple months ago on 14.10. Everything seemed to work except one item: KDM didn't load. The package is lacking a .service file. I tried hacking one up based on examples in other distros but never got it to work. Sure, I could switch to LightDM, but I'd rather keep my computers as pure KDE as possible.
          With KDE Plasma 5 KDM is being replaced with SDDM and I do know that SDDM does work with systemd.

source -> http://news.softpedia.com/news/KDE-P...s-469977.shtml

Comment

Switched early to systemd (apt-get install systemd-sysv).
            All working fine apart from cifs shares in fstab needed modifying to mount properly and the pc isn't shutting down or restarting properly, screens turn off but pc not shutting down. maybe related to the cifs shares.

EDIT: looks like systemd not shutting the pc down is effecting others.
            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1427672
            Last edited by deadite66; Mar 07, 2015, 09:19 AM. Reason: added launchpad bug

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
              With KDE Plasma 5 KDM is being replaced with SDDM and I do know that SDDM does work with systemd.
              Yep. Seems there's no reliable SDDM for 14.10; at least there wasn't when I looked about five months ago. I haven't moved any of my machines to 15.04 because I use all of them for work.

Comment

Monday

After:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                Change:
                Reading package lists...
                Building dependency tree...
                Reading state information...
                The following packages will be REMOVED:
                upstart
                The following NEW packages will be installed:
                systemd-sysv
                The following packages will be upgraded:..
                ...and everything is quiet on the beach...

Last edited by Rog132; Mar 09, 2015, 04:09 AM.
                A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

No problems here, I can put up with a boot time of 10.568s.

Code:
                  [B]danum@15:~$ systemd-analyze[/B]
                  Startup finished in 4.402s (kernel) + 6.166s (userspace) = 10.568s

[B]danum@15:~$ systemd-analyze blame[/B]
                            4.919s systemd-udev-settle.service
                             372ms systemd-fsck-root.service
                             369ms NetworkManager.service
                             264ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
                             238ms systemd-udevd.service
                             205ms accounts-daemon.service
                             183ms systemd-modules-load.service
                             152ms ModemManager.service
                             143ms ufw.service
                             142ms plymouth-start.service
                             140ms grub-common.service
                             139ms udisks2.service
                             133ms upower.service
                             128ms apparmor.service
                             114ms networking.service
                             106ms systemd-journald.service
                             100ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
                              84ms systemd-logind.service
                              80ms console-kit-log-system-start.service
                              80ms alsa-restore.service
                              79ms pppd-dns.service
                              79ms rc-local.service
                              78ms ondemand.service
                              76ms systemd-user-sessions.service
                              76ms apport.service
                              75ms ifup-wait-all-auto.service
                              74ms rsyslog.service
                              70ms avahi-daemon.service
                              69ms plymouth-quit-wait.service
                              69ms plymouth-quit.service
                              65ms kerneloops.service
                              62ms irqbalance.service
                              61ms console-setup.service
                              53ms colord.service
                              51ms polkitd.service
                              44ms resolvconf.service
                              41ms systemd-update-utmp.service
                              37ms sys-kernel-debug.mount                                                                                                                                            
                              32ms [email]user@113.servic[/email]e                                                                                                                                                  
                              30ms systemd-timesyncd.service                                                                                                                                         
                              29ms systemd-sysctl.service                                                                                                                                            
                              28ms systemd-journal-flush.service                                                                                                                                     
                              26ms systemd-random-seed.service                                                                                                                                       
                              24ms home.mount                                                                                                                                                        
                              23ms systemd-vconsole-setup.service                                                                                                                                    
                              22ms systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service                                                                                                                              
                              22ms dev-mqueue.mount                                                                                                                                                  
                              21ms dev-hugepages.mount                                                                                                                                               
                              20ms [email]systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-783f9646\x2da3c0\x2d4249\x2db194\x2d8651beb5bd7e.servic[/email]e                                                                         
                              17ms kmod-static-nodes.service                                                                                                                                         
                              16ms console-kit-daemon.service                                                                                                                                        
                              13ms plymouth-read-write.service                                                                                                                                       
                              12ms [email]user@1000.servic[/email]e                                                                                                                                                 
                               9ms systemd-remount-fs.service                                                                                                                                        
                               8ms dev-disk-by\x2duuid-7a251c13\x2d86ce\x2d41ff\x2d9113\x2d42ba70bc36c7.swap                                                                                         
                               8ms [email]ifup@eth0.servic[/email]e                                                                                                                                                 
                               8ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                                                                                                                                    
                               6ms dns-clean.service                                                                                                                                                 
                               4ms pulseaudio.service                                                                                                                                                
                               3ms rtkit-daemon.service                                                                                                                                              
                               3ms ureadahead-stop.service                                                                                                                                           
                               1ms udev-finish.service                                                                                                                                               
                               1ms lvm2.service                                                                                                                                                      
                               1ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount  

[B]danum@15:~$ systemd-analyze critical-chain[/B]
                  The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the "@" character.                                                                                                   
                  The time the unit takes to start is printed after the "+" character.                                                                                                               

graphical.target @6.143s                                                                                                                                                           
                  └─multi-user.target @6.143s                                                                                                                                                        
                    └─pulseaudio.service @6.138s +4ms
                      └─NetworkManager.service @5.768s +369ms
                        └─basic.target @5.758s
                          └─sockets.target @5.758s
                            └─uuidd.socket @5.758s
                              └─sysinit.target @5.757s
                                └─networking.service @5.625s +114ms
                                  └─local-fs.target @5.625s
                                    └─run-cgmanager-fs.mount @5.838s
                                      └─local-fs-pre.target @5.577s
                                        └─systemd-remount-fs.service @929ms +9ms
                                          └─systemd-fsck-root.service @556ms +372ms
                                            └─systemd-fsckd.socket @555ms
                                              └─-.slice @540ms

Comment

I am not in a position to try networking at the moment, but I have not had any problems with systemd at this stage. Just for the heck of it, I removed the password prompt and measured the boot time with my stopwatch. I am running 15.04 from a sandisk usb 3.0 flash disc and the boot time for SDDM is 18s and for systemd it is 19s. So there is very little difference in speed. Bugs are another issue of course. So far I have not found any related to systemd.

Comment

I dual boot with SolydK (which, by the way, gives Kubuntu a real run for its money) and this is the boot time with Systemd with a SSD:
                      Code:
                      gerard@solydxk ~ $ systemd-analyze
                      Startup finished in 6.322s (kernel) + 1.612s (userspace) = 7.935s
                      I tried the same code in Kubuntu, but it does't work, but seems quicker still
                      sigpic

Comment

After the last update the command
                        Code:
                        systemd-analyze
                        now works and this is the output:
                        Code:
                        gerard@gerard-Satellite-L750:~$ systemd-analyze
                        Startup finished in 3.674s (kernel) + 1.375s (userspace) = 5.049s

Amazing!
                        Last edited by GerardV; Mar 10, 2015, 01:38 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Code:
                          nayar@nayar-laptop:~$ systemd-analyze
                          Startup finished in 2.905s (firmware) + 14.045s (loader) + 8.139s (kernel) + 40.528s (userspace) = 1min 5.620s

Comment

Code:
                            [COLOR=#000000]lee@kubuntu:~$ systemd-analyze blame [/COLOR]
                            [FONT=monospace]          7.973s NetworkManager-wait-online.service 
                                      3.187s systemd-udev-settle.service 
                                       426ms ModemManager.service[/FONT]
                            NetworkManager-wait-online always the biggest time hog for me.

Comment

Originally posted by deadite66 View Post
                              NetworkManager-wait-online always the biggest time hog for me.
                              I disabled it, and that hasn't caused any problems.

I read somewhere (Lennart's blog?) that it is useful for servers, not desktops.

Comment

Working...
                              X