Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox no longer supports Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.438?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox no longer supports Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.438?

What are our options then? My version of Firefox is blocking flash media. I have to "authoize" it to use the old version which supposedly has a security vulnerability. So why is Adobe abandoning support for Linux? Again, what options do we have?
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Add Daniel Richard G.'s pepper-flash PPA
    This repository provides the pepflashplugin-installer package, which will download and install the newer "Pepper" (PPAPI) version of the Adobe Flash Player plugin for use with the Chromium Web browser on Ubuntu GNU/Linux. The package is similar to Ubuntu's official flashplugin-installer in that it does not include the plugin itself, but instead downloads the plugin and installs it automatically. (Specifically, it downloads the latest Google Chrome package, extracts the Pepper Flash files, and installs only those. Google Chrome itself is not installed nor otherwise used in any way.)

Some information on the Pepper Flash plugin and how it differs from earlier versions of Flash may be found here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2...-on-linux.html
    I and others have been using it for some time now.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Latest

The latest Adobe version for the Ubuntu Trusty is 11.2.202.440.

ubuntu/partner/trusty : https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/tr...ry/017782.html

Seems to work at https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

For the Linux:

Last edited by Wheel Inventor; Feb 01, 2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

During this transition, as Flash is finally allowed to go away (a good thing), use the version advised by Wheel Inventor, above.
        I get a regular update of the flash-installer which seems to keep flash running without needing to authorize the old version.

For those who still produce flash video... Have you heard about HTML5?

Even Youtube has dropped flash.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
          What are our options then? My version of Firefox is blocking flash media. I have to "authoize" it to use the old version which supposedly has a security vulnerability. So why is Adobe abandoning support for Linux? Again, what options do we have?
          If I understand correctly
          @mhumm2 is asking about Firefox
          The Pepper plugin referred to is for Chromium, presumably on pre- 14.04 *buntu OS's, as the plugin is included in 14.04

For Firefox, you will need
          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...h-with-Firefox
          kubuntu 20.10

Comment

I'm using Firefox. I use the Pepper-flash installer. Firefox reports in aboutlugins:

Shockwave Flash

File: libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so
            Path: /usr/lib/freshplayerplugin/libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so
            Version: 15.0.0.223
            State: Enabled
            Shockwave Flash 15.0 r0

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              I'm using Firefox. I use the Pepper-flash installer. Firefox reports in aboutlugins:

Shockwave Flash

File: libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so
              Path: /usr/lib/freshplayerplugin/libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so
              Version: 15.0.0.223
              State: Enabled
              Shockwave Flash 15.0 r0
              So I have pepperflash from the default sources, in use with chromium
              Why would adding the PPA make it work with Firefox?
              Sorry if that's a dumb question
              kubuntu 20.10

Comment

No, not a dumb question. I haven't used Chromium Browser in a long time now. I believe that the Pepper-flash Installer does the job of putting the libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so where it needs to be for Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  No, not a dumb question. I haven't used Chromium Browser in a long time now. I believe that the Pepper-flash Installer does the job of putting the libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so where it needs to be for Firefox.
                  OK
                  So I didn't know that was possible as such and was the reason for the work on fresh
                  https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplay...ster/README.md
                  kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
                    ... My version of Firefox is blocking flash media. I have to "authoize" it to use the old version which supposedly has a security vulnerability...
                    I got that message. Remembering that flashplugin-installer had sometimes had trouble running in the gui updater, I ran
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get update
                    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                    and firefox was happy again.
                    While I agree that flash is going away (and good riddance), and that pepper flash gives a much more current version that someone people need in the meantime, the above lets me get along with the least effort.
                    IMO firefox (through no fault of its own) has confused us when there was a new version of flash 11, the old version.

Regards, John Little
                    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 02, 2015, 05:19 PM.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                    X