This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen with Plasma

I have Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 14.14, a GeForce GTXTi Boost w/340.65 driver.

When I log in, all I get is a black screen. Conky and Docky load, but that's it. Alt+F2 will work, but nothing runs from there.

I've renamed all the config files that I can think of, tried reintslled plasma desktop and anything else that crossed my mind and I am at a loss. What information coudl I provide that woudl allow someone to help me?

in the alt-f2 run-command box, try entering 'plasmashell' to see if that will load plasma.

Plasma 5 has been iffy at times for me in 14.10 in the past (Nvidia Gt 610), but I have not seen any issues lately, and very few updates.

Which ppas have you used to get plasma 5?

Comment

was it working ok at one point ,,,,,,,or has this been the case since install .

did it happen right after a update and if so was their a new kernel in the update .

you can try loging out or rebooting then at the login screen do a ctrl+alt+F6 to get a TTY console ,,,,login to the TTY and do
      Code:
      mv ~/.kde .kde.old
      the type exit and press enter to log out of the TTY press ctrl+alt+F7 and you will be back at the login screen >log in >the system will make you a new ~/.kde ,,,,this is where most of your user configs live

VINNY

PS: lisen to @claydoh first
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

If I hit F2, the run command box comes up, but when it doesn't looks like it accepts commands. When I hit enter - nothing happens. So plasmashell didn't work. I've been using the Kubuntu-ppa/next/ubuntu-utopic.

I tried moving the KDE config file and it didn't help.

When I log into KDE as a new user, it loads up, right as rain.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          was it working ok at one point ,,,,,,,or has this been the case since install .

did it happen right after a update and if so was their a new kernel in the update .

you can try loging out or rebooting then at the login screen do a ctrl+alt+F6 to get a TTY console ,,,,login to the TTY and do
          Code:
          mv ~/.kde .kde.old
          the type exit and press enter to log out of the TTY press ctrl+alt+F7 and you will be back at the login screen >log in >the system will make you a new ~/.kde ,,,,this is where most of your user configs live
          This is not going to be the case, as much, moving on to plasma 5. Most if not all desktop (plasma and kwin) related configs are now going to be in the standard ~/.config folder. Application configs are still in ~/.kde/share

This is why the OP didn't have luck doing that.

Originally posted by thornside View Post
          I tried moving the KDE config file and it didn't help.

When I log into KDE as a new user, it loads up, right as rain.
          The likely culprit configs are the plasma* and kwin* files in ~/.config. There are other k* related configs in there as well, but not likely to have an effect on the desktop.

Comment

OK, I see them but there are a lot. Should I move them all in to a folder and reboot?

Also, I don't know if this is related, but the last thing that I did before my issues started was I was having problems with Deluge where it'd start redownloading stuff that I had already been seeding so I was thinking that it was starting up before teh drive was ready so I wanted to move it to upstart. I don't reboot very often though so I don't know if that's related in any way.

Comment

I had the same issues yesterday, except on a Vivid install. Black screen with an empty panel, Krunner would come up but do nothing, logging in as a new user worked.

Deleted all the ./config/plasma* files and was able to login under my original user account, with the expected loss of customizations. Making a mental note of the kwin* files as claydoh suggested.

Renaming or moving those files is the safe way to do it, but this is a test install booting off a thumb drive, so I was too lazy to do that.

Really like the new darker default wallpaper, and still liking everything set to Breeze Dark. Looking forward to running Plasma 5 as my everyday desktop.

Comment

I've deleted all of the .plasma and .kwin files - actually, I deleted everything in .config that wasn't in a folder and I still can't get Plasma to load up under my account. I aslo removed deluged.conf since that was the last thing that I had done.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  This is not going to be the case, as much, moving on to plasma 5. Most if not all desktop (plasma and kwin) related configs are now going to be in the standard ~/.config folder. Application configs are still in ~/.kde/share

This is why the OP didn't have luck doing that.

The likely culprit configs are the plasma* and kwin* files in ~/.config. There are other k* related configs in there as well, but not likely to have an effect on the desktop.
                  sigh,,,,,,,,,progress , gotta learn new tricks ,,,,,,,,they say that is tough for an old dog

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Can I just remove plasma and then resintall it? Would that (potentially) work?

LIke this:
                    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
                    sudo ppa-purge ppa kubuntu-ppa/next

Comment

Originally posted by thornside View Post
                      Can I just remove plasma and then resintall it? Would that (potentially) work?

LIke this:
                      sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
                      sudo ppa-purge ppa kubuntu-ppa/next

Considering that a new user account loads plasma 5 just fine, it has to be something in your /home. Reinstalling plasma won't touch anything there.

Sent from my cheap-assed Intel Atom iview i700 tablet

Comment

OK, we're up an running. I deleted a few things in the ./cache folder and everything in the .config that even started with a k as well as startupconfig and nvidia-settings-rc. No idea which did it, but it did it and at this point, that's all I care about.

Thank you all very much for pointing to the config files, it was super helpful and I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                        X