This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XSane won't recognize presence of Scanner

I just installed 14.10 64-bit and all went will except that I can't get my Epson V30 to work. I installed the Epson scanner drivers and the XSane front end, but XSane doesn't recognize the presence of the scanner, nor does the IScan tool. I ran scanimage -L as me and a root and got the "I can't find any scanners" message. sane-find-scanner returns the following info:
    Code:
    luggw1@tahoe:~/downloads/VMware$ sudo sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
      # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
      # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
      # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0131 [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:002:006
    could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
    could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
      # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
      # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
      # can't be detected by this program.
    So, sane-find-scanner found the device, but I'm stuck at this point. I should mention that I also added myself to the scanner group, but that didn't help either. What am I forgetting? I seem to go through this every time I do a clean install. This time I'm going to write it down.

Thanks for the help.
    Bill Lugg

Installing driver for my Epson 3490 requires -

Open for editing /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf
    Add the driver name to the line firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/(in my case esfw52.bin goes here)
    Copy esfw to /usr/share/sane/etc

Don't know if you have to do anything similar but if it helps jog the memory!

Jim

Comment

Well, I discovered that the problem was not editing a file in the OS, but that I left out one key file from Epson. I needed to install the esci-interpreter file in addition to the iscan files. Once I did that it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the info though.

For anyone that's looking for Epson scanner drivers (and probably All-in-one drivers too), Avasys is no longer hosting them. You can find them at http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/se...search/?OSC=LX now. you just need to type in the model of the device for which you're seeking drivers and the site will (hopefully) provide the results you're looking for.

HTH
      Bill Lugg

Comment

Working...
      X