Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB or whatever the fault was, is fixed for me too, before this my computer would hang shutting down every couple of days on Utopic (even with adding systemd bit to GRUB) but all good after doing a full fresh install a couple of days ago - so far so good fingers crossed.

As for my graphics problem, well that was staring me in the face, I didn't notice that 14.10's xserver was too new for catalyst - but now AMD supports xserver 1.16 and watch my movies in peace without it being stretched out in smplayer & vlc.

Comment

I'm having this issue with my Dell 5000 series with Ati Radeon.

shutdown -h now didn't work and sudo update-grub didn't have any effect too.

Kubuntu 14.04 LTS was perfect. Hate regressions.

Comment

I'm having this issue too in Kubuntu 14.10, I have installed all updates at the moment and I keep experimenting this bug, Kubuntu freezes on the Plymouth theme while shutting down. Is this a confirmed bug or something? I do not want to mess around with GRUB and I dislike forcing my computer to shutdown every day...

Comment

Adding that systemd setting to grub proved to be an absolute disaster for me with hangs in boot and shutdown. So I started from scratch in that I reinstalled Kubuntu 14.10, on first boot I had to switch to tty1 to upgrade everything because of my new ATI graphics card (everything turns to garbled mess without updating it drivers). And rather having to shutdown from the command line all the time, I edited powerbtn in /etc/acpi/events/ and changed the bottom line from 'action=/etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh' to 'action=/sbin/shutdown -h 0' So far so good.

Comment

Solved For Me

My main box which started life as 14.04 and then I upgraded last week to 14.10 and now no shutdown. The picture below is where it always stalls at now, from here I have to hold power button in for 5sec to stop the computer.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-06 17.46.08.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	642737

Does anyone have any trouble shooting suggestions?

Previously the pc had always shutdown properly.

Update:
            My situation is solved, I moved the following file as below and it seemed to solve the problem.
            Code:
            [FONT=Ubuntu Mono]sudo mv /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service ~/org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service[/FONT]
            Also for good measure , in system settings >> startup shutdown >> session management
            I have enabled the options "turn off computer" and "start with empty session".
            Last edited by anika200; Feb 08, 2015, 06:58 AM. Reason: update situation mark as solved

Comment

I would look for messages in logs ... and the logs I would look at might include /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages

According to [SOLVED] Shutdown log you might need to enable 'messages':
              To do this edit /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf. Uncomment the following lines:

Code:
              *.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
              	auth,authpriv.none;\
              	cron,daemon.none;\
              	mail,news.none		-/var/log/messages
              Logs will now be written to /var/log/messages.
              There might be other useful logs. You'd be looking for messages that indicate a process or driver failing to terminate.
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
              X