This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it so difficult to install programs

I've been away from Linux for a while and just installed 14.04.1 so it is all the new stuff.
    on my Sony VGN SZ330P Laptop. Yes it is an older system but with a new SSD it is still alive and running well.

I downloaded the Aptana Studio but cannot seem to get it installed.

Why is there not a built in utility to unpack and install tar downloads.
    When will it get easy to use Linux?

Installation and Configuration
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by WebbDawg View Post
      I've been away from Linux for a while and just installed 14.04.1 so it is all the new stuff.
      on my Sony VGN SZ330P Laptop. Yes it is an older system but with a new SSD it is still alive and running well.

I downloaded the Aptana Studio but cannot seem to get it installed.

Why is there not a built in utility to unpack and install tar downloads.
      When will it get easy to use Linux?
      Um...it's BEEN easy to use Linux for a very long time now!

I had never heard of Aptana Studio until now, but I just downloaded it and was using it within 30 seconds. I'm not sure what could be easier than its installation...which was effortless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aptana_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	642526

Name:	Aptana_2.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	642527

Name:	Aptana_3.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	642528

Name:	Aptana_4.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	642529

Name:	Aptana_5.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	642530

All I did was:

. downloaded the file
      . right-clicked on it in Dolphin
      . chose "Extract | Extract Archive Here, Autodetect Subfolder"
      . entered its newly-created subdirectory
      . clicked on the AptanaStudio3 file
      . that's it, the rest was just setting up its working directory and then using the program
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Weellll I'll be a doof here.........

The first thing that I saw on THIS PAGE: was.,.............

https://wiki.appcelerator.org/displa...s2/Quick+Start

Create an account on the Appcelerator Network.
        Check your email and click the link to activate your account and open the Resources page.
        Click the link to download the appropriate Titanium Studio installer or application package.
        Install Titanium Studio:

Windows – Launch the installer and follow the instructions. The Windows installer also download and installs Java runtime, Node.js, and Git.
        Mac OS X – Unpack the DMG file and drag the Titanium Studio folder to your Applications folder.

Linux – Unpack the ZIP file to your folder of choice.

Ubuntu 12.04 requires a few extra packages and configuration settings before Studio can be launched. Run the following commands from a terminal:
        sudo apt-get install libjpeg62 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0
        echo 'export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/mozilla' >> ~/.bashrc

For 64-bit versions of Ubuntu, you need to also install the 32-bit libraries:
        sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
        Now yesss.....................anyone who "knows Linux" can download the tarball etc......but........for somebody who has been "away from Linux" for a while might need the previous posts to get things up and running

just a thought

woodkindadumbsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          Weellll I'll be a doof here.........

The first thing that I saw on THIS PAGE: was.,.............

https://wiki.appcelerator.org/displa...s2/Quick+Start

Now yesss.....................anyone who "knows Linux" can download the tarball etc......but........for somebody who has been "away from Linux" for a while might need the previous posts to get things up and running

just a thought

woodkindadumbsmoke
          Thanks, My point.

I downloaded the file
          Right clicked and choose extract.

OOPS, that was it. I guess I'm too stupid. I guess the Linux Programmers have not figured out how to install a TAR file by double clicking on it. Why the F would I download that file and double click on it

If Linux or Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Xubuntu or all the flavors) cannot make it SEAMLESS.......................you will always live in the closet.
          And you will think you are better than everyone with your "I smarter than you banter".

I'm not an idiot either.
          I got my first computer in 1990 by trading my Kawasaki 650KZ C3. I regret it everyday.
          But I took some classes qbasic, C and was soon building my own systems probably before you were born.

Been there done that.

Computers are only as smart at the programmers that program them.
          It's too bad that most programmers are not normal people and would rather hide in their rooms with a computer screen instead of seeing how people really interact with the real world.

OK

Comment

Thanks, My point.

I downloaded the file

OOPS, that was it. I guess I'm too stupid. I guess the Linux Programmers have not figured out how to install a TAR file by double clicking on it. Why the F would I download that file and double click on it
            I don't know. Why would you? And why should "the Linux Programmers" figure out how to install a TAR file by double clicking on it? Do you really think they aren't capable of that? They can write complex programs but can't make a file install by double clicking? Okay...

I'm not an idiot either.
            I got my first computer in 1990 by trading my Kawasaki 650KZ C3. I regret it everyday.
            But I took some classes qbasic, C and was soon building my own systems probably before you were born.
            If you're directing that at me, THANK YOU!!! It's been a very long time since I was accused of being that young. (Newsflash: I've used *nix for ~30 years, and my age starts with a 5.)
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

The creators of Aptana chose not to create an installable archive package (such as a deb or rpm), simple as that.

I am waiting for the rest of the old timers in here and start sharpening their canes and oiling up their walkers - a good number of 'em are old enough to be *my* father parent.
              Last edited by claydoh; Oct 24, 2014, 12:49 AM. Reason: oops that was quite sexist of me there....

Comment

What I find intriguing in the request for installing a package via double clicking is the fact that AFAIK Kubuntu is by default a single click environment

So I would ask, why is double clicking easier or better than the usual right click and pick from a menu?

In short: Linux is not Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  What I find intriguing in the request for installing a package via double clicking is the fact that AFAIK Kubuntu is by default a single click environment

So I would ask, why is double clicking easier or better than the usual right click and pick from a menu?

I was thinking the same thing ............................

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  The creators of Aptana chose not to create an installable archive package (such as a deb or rpm), simple as that.

I am waiting for the rest of the old timers in here and start sharpening their canes and oiling up their walkers - a good number of 'em are old enough to be *my* father parent.
                  cane sharp (check) short sward strapped on (check) 12 gage duct taped to the walker (check) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,come on back hear sonny.

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post

You are right and I APOLOGIZE. I am sorry to bash the programmers.
                    When I thought about it, you cannot double click on a .zip file and install it either.

But, after I unpacked the aptana tar file, I looked at the read me file.
                    The directions were command line directives and said nothing about

. downloaded the file
                    . right-clicked on it in Dolphin (or file manager)
                    . chose "Extract | Extract Archive Here, Autodetect Subfolder"
                    . entered its newly-created subdirectory
                    . clicked on the AptanaStudio3 file
                    So I am sorry for my rash judgement.

I just figured that after almost 4 years away thing would change a bit.
                    It just seems there is no consistency.

Windows
                    Mac
                    Linux

It is all crap.

Comment

I've been using computers from almost the beginning. My age starts with a 6.
                      What I don't understand: why don't you just stay with Windows, if you think Linux is really that stupid? If you want to work Linux just like Windows, I think it's far easier to stay with Windows then to try to change Linux to be like Windows.
                      (By the way: I work daily with Linux, Windows 7/8, OS X, iOS, Android, Windows Phone. I think Linux, my main workstation, is by far the easiest to use. Of course I had to get used to it.)

Comment

I agree developers are sometimes too much caught up in their own world and forget the simple issues a common user might have.

It would be good if they always published a short step by step with their application.
                        Or as some do, include a sort of run.me script that only needs clicking on, similar to what Truecript did (does).

But alas, they are volunteers and are primarily busy developing, help files and documentation is always way down the list...

But then we have (Kubuntu)forums where you can relieve your frustration and then find help

Comment

alas this is a problem of so many distros ..... if a developer dose not want to target one or more types of packaging like .deb , .rpm and such and decides to just make a generic .tar.gz + readme + install.sh that should work for any distro IF you check out the "readme" to find the depends of the app.

of course IF you find a Ubuntu .deb on the apps download web page it is as simple as you state you want ,,,,,,,,,,,, download it > click it> it will open in Qapt and check for the depends then ask you if you want to install them as well (if needed) and install it all.

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Windows
                            Mac
                            Linux

It is all crap.
                            Nope, they are just all different. Linux is not Windows. Knowledge of one does not directly translate to the other.

If you return to DYK's post and notice the third screenshot, you'll see that the highlighted file details indicate that it's an executable. One of the differences between Windows and Linux is that Linux doesn't rely on the .exe file extension to indicate an executable file. Whereas in Windows you would have unzipped an archive and looked for a .exe to run, in Linux you unpack an archive an look for whatever executables are there. Hints are some kind of icon in GUI file manager (like the gear you see) or the letter x in the file attribute bits of the ls -al command in a console window.

Comment

Thanks, My point.

I downloaded the file

Huh? When I click on a zip file, tar file, etc, it opens in KDE's Ark utility which has a big "Extract" button right on the toolbar. Also similarly to windows, you can right click and extract as DoYouKubuntu demonstrated. So there IS a built in utility that works pretty much the same you'd find in Windows and I do not understand what you're complaining about. What exactly did you expect to happen when you clicked on the tarball?

If Linux or Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Xubuntu or all the flavors) cannot make it SEAMLESS.......................you will always live in the closet.
                              And you will think you are better than everyone with your "I smarter than you banter".

I'm not an idiot either.
                              Yeah but extracting compressed files is computer use 101, so I don't get what's so confusing for you. I'm guessing you thought the tar file was some kind of installer and that clicking on it would install it for you and put a pretty icon on your desktop or something along those lines. If that's the case, then your beef is with Aptana, for not creating a package, not with Kubuntu. Sadly rather than doing a cursory google search to find an answer to your question, you chose to come here and rant and hurl insults.

Comment

Working...
                              X