Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A connection but being unable to ping a host name indicates that you don't have your DNS setup properly.
    Use Google's DNS in your wifi settings and see if you can ping google.com
    8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for IPv4 service, as well as 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844, for IPv6 access.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Are you maybe facing just a video issue now?
      I am using proprietary non-beta AMD drivers and for the last few kernel updates I seem to have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers manually.
      Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Originally posted by OldManRiver View Post
        Absolutely no attitude! When someone says a file is there and it is not, the truth is obvious, they lied. Guarantee you can not find the iwlwifi-100-6.ucode file anywhere. I've searched for months for it as this is not the first time I've had to address issues needing that driver. Had 6 times looking for it and probably over 100 hours of searching and can absolutely tell "IT DOES NOT EXIST"!
        I didn't see anyone mention that the "fix" was about adding the missing firmware (if they had, then you could well accuse them of lying)...instead the fix pushed was about making the kernel use the latest released firmware version (instead of demanding a specific version).

You were quick to point out things you did not read about, because my 9-24 post that you responded to definitely said I upgraded to 14.04 and it went splat. I also said previously, and by posted PBs showed my repository list, which shows backports are installed. If I do forget to post something, since I always have limited time, I apologize. I definitely do not want to be ambiguous about anything here!
        Well, from your post I got that you upgraded two desktops to 14.04, but not the laptop that was having the problem. If that was a misunderstanding on my part I apologize, but the post was a tad ambigious.

EDIT: and whether you have backports enabled is irrelevant, as the LTS kernel backports don't come through the backports repo (they come from the core repos with package names like linux-generic-lts-trusty [that's the trusty kernel for precise]) so if you haven't specifically installed that metapackage, there are good chances that you were running the (unfixed) stock 3.2.x kernel. And no one (including me) can deduce whether you have installed a newer kernel based on the fact that you have backports repo enabled.
        Last edited by kubicle; Sep 25, 2014, 07:50 AM.

Comment

14.04 Install problems

All,

Well finally got 14.04 on the laptop, using new liveDVD, but really got pissed because:
          • They did not include the "Recover" option in the new version, so have to do a fresh install, which partitioned my HD into 3drive partitions. Now I have to scrape all the data off the other 2partitions and then actively reformat the drive to recover the space this install, has wasted. I originally only had one disk partition. Suspect the original upgrade attempt to 14.04 installed the 2nd partition and the liveDVD installed the 3rd,
          • The have stripped "dselect" from the core which is the only package that can handle bulk re-installs from backup. Backup via:
          dpkg --get-selections > /somepath/somefile
          restored with:
          dpkg --set-selections < /somepath/somefile & dselect install
          This needed to install the 5,000+ apps I had originally installed on this machine.
          • Something is wrong with apt-get because consistantly get the message:
          E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
          and the CLI cmds that are supposed to clear all this of:
          apt-get install -f && dpkg --configure -a && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
          apt-get install -f && dpkg --configure -a && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
          do not work. Notice I issued the commands twice to see what is hanging open and try to get it fixed. Also checked in Synaptic and there are no broken or held packages shown. Therefore I am never able to install dselect, so can never run my restore scripts. Also notice dselect has a missing repository that needs adding to be able to run: apt-get install dselect,
          • The screens now all disappear when I move the mouse, so the desktop is totally totally unstable. I already disabled all that BS that makes actions occur when you move a window the the edge of the screen but do not know what this is called, so no idea where to look to turn this crap off,

• Icons on the taskbar do not stay in place. Everytime I either reboot or logout/login I have to open the taskbar and move them to their right places. Also the Desktop selector is no longer on the task bar and I have it set for 4 desktops in 2 rows but does not show,

• The desktop and apps keep crashing and the bug reporter has never worked because there is no way to interactively add or edit text, so therefore you can never report any details to the gurus to fix anything. This problem has existed for over 5 years, but I've always ignored the bug reporter, since it has never worked. Just now venting about this since I have all the other problems with this pile of crap.
          Told you a .04 release never stablizes until after the .10 release. I usually wait a full year after .04 release before ever installing and then just to one machine as trial. Never installed an LTS version to actually attempt fixes to broken crap in an older version. Not supposed to work that way. Supposed to be fixed in the old version with updates, then rolled into the new version only after being proved in theold realease. Untested, unproven apps, fixes, patches and upgrades are not supposed to be allowed even near a new release, but see the OS gurus have thrown this rule out the window.
          • I live working in LAMP stack but since apt-get is erroring can not install any of the LAMP stack packages, so laptop is totally useless, until I can actually work from it.

• Due to these crap installs reformatting and crapping my HD instead of running "RESTORE" I will have to find a MySQL recovery program to find and recover the data from the other HD partitions,

• "Locate" does not map the 2nd and 3rd partitions, so impossible to find files needed for recovery on these partitions currently,

• All my work files are on my Dropbox and since apt-get install will not work, can not install Drobox so again CAN NOT WORK!

Yeah you can tell I'm really pissed, since I'm venting so much and this is less than 5% of my compliants on this!

Cheers!

OMR
          Last edited by OldManRiver; Oct 02, 2014, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Don't know why this posted twice, system kept saying I was logged out and returned garbage HTML code, so corrected and reposted.

Cheers!

OMR

Comment

Thank, but not the problem

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              A connection but being unable to ping a host name indicates that you don't have your DNS setup properly.
              Use Google's DNS in your wifi settings and see if you can ping google.com
              8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for IPv4 service, as well as 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844, for IPv6 access.
              GreyGeek,

Thanks for your input, but DNS is/was not the problem. When I was finally able to completely strip the total piece of crap Network Manager off the system and run WiCD only, all things WiFi corrected except one, which is the Wifi is not refreshing correctly, so will drop out and not re-establish the connection, so having to switch to wired connect a lot to keep trying to work.

However if you are following closely, you find I actually can not work from this laptop as aptitude has a problem, keeps giving a "file held" error and will not install anything, so can not install any tools I use for work. I mean work fixing issues on the machine and real "work" still can not happen.

Still have not found a way to fix the aptitude problem so apt-get will work right!

Cheers!

OMR
              Last edited by OldManRiver; Oct 04, 2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by otisklt View Post
                Are you maybe facing just a video issue now?
                I am using proprietary non-beta AMD drivers and for the last few kernel updates I seem to have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers manually.
                otisklt,

Nothing to do with video! Not AMD, since both desktops are HP DC7700 and use the same monitor, running through KVM.

Cheers!

OMR

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                  Well, from your post I got that you upgraded two desktops to 14.04, but not the laptop that was having the problem. If that was a misunderstanding on my part I apologize, but the post was a tad ambigious.
                  kubicle,

I think I did say I attempted installing on the laptop, but it failed. I finally got this fixed, as you see from my notes that "double posted"!

Would delete the dup if I could find a way, but do not see a "delete" option here on the board/thread. First entry (entry #19), which is the un-edited version should go, not the 2nd (entry #20).

Cheers!

OMR
                  Last edited by OldManRiver; Oct 04, 2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

New Thread

All,

Really need help with the aptitude issue so I can close this, since now the only issues on Networking that remain are:

• WiCD is not refreshing/reconnecting on WiFi dropout,
                    • LAMP Stack/localhost does not work (but can not correctly install due to aptitude issue),
                    • Samba does not work (but can not correctly install due to aptitude issue),

Hope to resolve these soon and close this. Most other issues, with my laptop, would merit a new thread and close this one.

Cheers!

OMR

Comment

Would delete the dup if I could find a way, but do not see a "delete" option here on the board/thread. First entry (entry #19), which is the un-edited version should go, not the 2nd (entry #20).
                      Done.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

All,

So any ideas on how to fix my aptitude issue. Tried the "Safe Mode" fix packages approach and nothing. Any other suggestions or links to HOWTOs?

Cheers!

OMR

Comment

The have stripped "dselect" from the core which is the only package that can handle bulk re-installs from backup. Backup via:
                          dpkg --get-selections > /somepath/somefile
                          restored with:
                          dpkg --set-selections < /somepath/somefile & dselect install
                          This needed to install the 5,000+ apps I had originally installed on this machine.
                          dselect is no longer a part of a standard *buntu installation. To follow the old --get and --set mechanisms, you can either install the dselect package and then run:
                          Code:
                          $ dpkg --set-selections < [i]/path/to/packagelist.txt[/i]
                          $ sudo apt-get -u dselect-upgrade
                          Or you can let Aptitute take care of it without the help of dselect:
                          Code:
                          $ dpkg --set-selections [i]/path/to/packagelist.txt[/i]
                          $ sudo aptitude install
                          (source)

Comment

Working...
                          X