X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking

All,

Where is a good HOWTO on rebuilding networking without any connection? All I see require the inet connection.

My networking got corrupted on my laptop, so had to purge it. Had the following installed:

• Networking (purged),
    • Network-Manager (in place but not connecting at all),
    • WiCD (needed this because laptop with Intel Centrino N100 requires iwlwifi6, which is not available anywhere online, only in the Live CDs/DVDs) and Network-Manager can not work with or fix WiFi issues with iwlwifi6. This also in place but not connecting).

Machine is Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. When I would run cli cmd: /etc/init.d/networking restart or start would always get a "FAILED" error message, but nothing at all in the logs, so that is why I purged it.

Always get messages, on boot up:

• Waiting for network configuration,
    • Waiting an additional 60 seconds for network configuration,
    • Booting without network configured.

Then I have to manually start network-manager.

All help appreciated!

Cheers!

OMR

Can I get some help?

Comment

network-manager and wicd i think conflict each other..

try reinstall kubuntu-desktop . it will pull all required packages. if it works great . if not then install wicd and let it remove what it needs to .

you might also want to upgrade to 14.04 your problem with your card and network-manager may have been fixed.

and how are you connecting on boot via wifi or cable? (incase it matters for others to help)
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Progress

All,

OK 3 parts to this problem:

1. wired networking - already found an fixed this issue, now connecting, but unstable,
        2. apache/localhost - localhost/phpmyadmin and localhost/files aliases work, but localhost root and all other aliases fail,
        3. WiFi - Have not looked at this part yet.

So with it at least connecting part time some progress!

Cheers!

OMR

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
          network-manager and wicd i think conflict each other..

try reinstall kubuntu-desktop . it will pull all required packages. if it works great . if not then install wicd and let it remove what it needs to .

you might also want to upgrade to 14.04 your problem with your card and network-manager may have been fixed.

and how are you connecting on boot via wifi or cable? (incase it matters for others to help)
          sithlord48,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes wicd and network-manager conflict but have never been successful in purging network manager, which I desperately want to toss. I hate that piece of trash and whoever coded it did the worst job ever, and the guys approving it into the codebase had to be out of their everloving minds!

Upgrade to 14.04, HELL no! 13.04 is still not stable and not an LTS and I only upgrade to stable LTS versions, never to anything experimental! If I'm right LTS versions are only released for the "even" numbered years, so will be a while before I upgrade.

I'm running production and can't afford downtime! It always take 9-18 months after an LTS release before it is stable, so I always wait and make sure all or at least 90% of the issues are gone before upgrading anything. But thanks, appreciate the thought.

As for iwlwifi6 driver being fixed, you know it is not fixed if you can not find the driver anywhere and download it, so sticking where I know I'm at and where I know how to fix things.

For the cable vs wifi look at my latest post on "3 parts"! Been working with a couple experts on irc.freenode.net to fix the issues, but if you have insight to why things aren't working will appreciate it.

I just was looking at all my aliases and many were now giving 403 errors. They were showing ownership of root:root from ls -al, so ran:

chown -R www-data:users /var/www && chmod -R 770 /var/www

but still not getting the right permissions. Going to run all aliases and record errors both from the browser and the logs and submit to PB, since it might help!

Cheers!

OMR

PS:
          WebMin and Cups are working at localhost:10000 and localhost:631 respectively!

OMR
          Last edited by OldManRiver; Aug 26, 2014, 04:00 PM.

Comment

"Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (Latest Release and Long Term Support)"

when you install wicd it will remove packages it confilicts with. you do not need to to this manually.

for your apache issue . check that you have set your configs correctly. it could also be related to your trashed network situtation.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Progess

All,

Still working out the network issues on my Kubunutu 12.04 LTS Acer Aspire 7739Z laptop.

Wired networking iffy. Does not come up on boot/reboot so have start or restart using combo cmd:

"/etc/init.d/networking restart && ifconfig && ping www.google.com"

which has to be issued 2-4 times before networking finally comes up. The last showing actual connect before wired networking starts.

Wifi non-existent. Have both network-manager and wicd installed. Network Manager will not work with the iwlwifi6 driver needed for the Centrino 100N wifi controller on this machine. That is why we installed WiCD. Was finally able to delete Network Manager and then re-installed WiCD, but wifi still not working, at least not per latest test! Just notice the WiCD clients were not installed, so could not see it! Installed those now! Getting error from SAMBA4 on these installs. Hope that does not kill WiCD!

Not sure what is needed because boot/reboot first showing for over a minute "Configuring Network", then says "Taking another 60 seconds to configure network", then finally boots with "Booting without full network configuration". One of the gurus on irc.freenode.net suggested I use:

"auto eth0 -> allow-hotplug eth0"

instead of the default of just:

"auto eth0"

but got "fail" on network restart. He thought that would fix the reboot/boot issue! Obviously not!

Just glad I have wired working now so do not have to cut-n-paste to flash drive and then load everything up on inet for help!

I think at this point I need to check to see what new patches are in the latest 12.04 LTS 64bit and see if they addressed any of the issues! If I see the right patches might be worth new LiveDVD copy. Will also check to see if 14.04 is now stable, cause might just upgrade to that! Especially if I think the WiFi is fixed, but will not trust or use NM as it has shown to be a code set that is not properly maintained and violates the Linux directive of "independence" as it is intregrated into too much, so that is why it was so very very hard to remove!

NM is too integrated into core so become a huge problem! When we tried other standard cores, always got the messages, iwlwifi6 driver needed, please load the file, with "browse" button to find and load it, but since not available anywhere online, can never succeed installing normal core!

If you think you have some insight past this please send in!

Thanks!

OMR
              Last edited by OldManRiver; Sep 03, 2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

You cannot have both NetworkManager and WiCD installed at the same time. I'd urge you to remove all traces of WiCD and bring NetworkManager back, as that's what KDE and Kubuntu assume you'll be using.

I can't find any references to a driver called iwlwifi6. According to the kernel's wireless documentation, the iwlwifi driver supports the Centrino N-100. The documentation also explains that you will need a firmware file; in this case, iwlwifi-100-5.ucode. This file is part of the package linux-firmware, which you will need to install if it's missing.

Comment

iwlwifi

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  I can't find any references to a driver called iwlwifi6. According to the kernel's wireless documentation, the iwlwifi driver supports the Centrino N-100. The documentation also explains that you will need a firmware file; in this case, iwlwifi-100-5.ucode. This file is part of the package linux-firmware, which you will need to install if it's missing.
                  SteveRiley,

When standard Ubuntu loads or when recovering from Wifi issues, with re-install, the Kubuntu/Ubuntu core asks for the iwlwifi-100-6.ucode driver file and will not accept the iwlwifi-100-5.ucode version, which you can see is not available via the URL you posted.

This is why I learned NM is crap as it is totally looking for the wrong driver and either it is NM asking for the iwlwifi-100-6.ucode incorrectly or this is correct and the core site at URL posted is not up to date.

Anyway got NM finally removed/purged, now only WiCD, but when I open WiCD to insert connect codes, all listed wifi nodes are "greyed" as in "read only" so can not edit to actually get a connect working!

Cheers!

OMR
                  Last edited by OldManRiver; Sep 04, 2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Progess - Again

All,

OK now WiCD comes up and have set SSID key and logs in but something still wrong as ping to Google or anyother site still not working! Ifconfig does show the right IP address assignment, but no traffic.

Keep having to go back to "Wired" to get this to work!

Cheers!

OMR

Comment

I'm wondering if you're still having a firmware issue. Seems like a bug from April 2012 might have resurfaced.

Comment

All,

OK that time of the year where .04 releases get stable so upgraded 2 of the desktops to 14.04 LTS. They went fine. Still have one more desktop and the server to upgrade.

Since this is what most were saying would fix all my problems (I knew better); when I attempted to upgrade the laptop however got the error:

************************************************** *************************
                        Unable to calculate version
                        ************************************************** *************************

And of course I have splat where KWin and KMix show errors on boot, Plasma does not start and the windows wrappers are gone, so basically useless machine until I can get some help figuring out what the real problems/errors are and how to fix them!

All help appreciated!

Before the attempt to load 14.04, I did get the Apache Issues fixed as you can see at thread:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...st-not-working

Thanks!

OMR
                        Last edited by OldManRiver; Sep 12, 2014, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          I'm wondering if you're still having a firmware issue. Seems like a bug from April 2012 might have resurfaced.
                          SteveRiley,

The File existing on that site "iwlwifi-100-ucode-39.31.5.1.tgz" does not contain iwlwifi-100-6.ucode that is needed, but only contains iwlwifi-100-5.ucode, which does not support the "Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 100". Only the "iwlwifi-100-6.ucode" supports this chipset, which is not in this file and the guy reporting he fixed it lied as he did no such thing!

As you see this issue is still outstanding since 2012, because no one with enough clout has challenged this idot on his lie!

I sure do not have enough clout to make him fix his boo boo! Do you?

Cheers!

OMR

Comment

Originally posted by OldManRiver View Post
                            As you see this issue is still outstanding since 2012, because no one with enough clout has challenged this idot on his lie!
                            The attitude doesn't really help (kernel developers do not tend to lie about the fixes they push).

Which kernel are you using, the bug report suggests the bug was fixed in 3.4 (and IIRC, precise has 3.2.x if you have not installed backported kernels)

And the fix just makes iwlwifi to use latest installed firmware version (instead of depending on the iwlwifi6 firmware, which was still a dev/test version at the time), so even the 3.4 version might not include the firmware version 6 (but that...and newer versions are certainly available on more recent versions).

To solve your problems, I'd recommend either:
                            1. trying a backported kernel for lucid (if available)
                            2. upgrade to 14.04 LTS (as already suggested on the thread)

Comment

Kubicle,

Absolutely no attitude! When someone says a file is there and it is not, the truth is obvious, they lied. Guarantee you can not find the iwlwifi-100-6.ucode file anywhere. I've searched for months for it as this is not the first time I've had to address issues needing that driver. Had 6 times looking for it and probably over 100 hours of searching and can absolutely tell "IT DOES NOT EXIST"!

You were quick to point out things you did not read about, because my 9-24 post that you responded to definitely said I upgraded to 14.04 and it went splat. I also said previously, and by posted PBs showed my repository list, which shows backports are installed. If I do forget to post something, since I always have limited time, I apologize. I definitely do not want to be ambiguous about anything here!

Please read carefully, I need help not regurgitation of things already done.

What I'm now attempting, and hope it works, is I have downloaded the 14.04 Live DVD and hoping "repair" from there can fix the issues.

Sorta hoping I can get SSH, NFS or Samba working on that machine (laptop) so I can archive off all the files a fresh re-install, might destroy, if push comes to shove!

For backups I wrote a series of BASH scripts to push files to my 64GB flash, but never got those working successfully.

The WiFi networking was not working before the 14.04 upgrade, but the upgrade now has it working, but since I have no KDE/X-Win working component, basically only have CLI on that machine.

Will let ALL know when I finish the "repair" attempt!

Cheers!

OMR

Comment

Working...
                              X