This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want my old sudo password back

I don't even remember doing it, but my sudo password changed. It changed to another password that I was able to find, however I do not want that password as my sudo password. In System Settings, when I attempt to change it back, a window opens saying it is not a difficult enough password. How do I force my computer to accept my change? Thanks! I hate it when my freedoms are impinged upon. I don't want anyone making decisions for me. I have been using it for 20 years. Thanks and sorry for the attitude.

Alternatives...

The Kubuntu is using the User Manager:

You could try with the KDE KUser: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ser-Management

or cli: man passwd / http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/.../passwd.1.html
    Last edited by Rog132; Jul 21, 2014, 01:49 PM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

I really don't care that my password should be longer. I still want what I want, to the extent that I will reinstall if I have to. I go in and out of Root all the time. Because of missing part of one finger, I make a lot of mistakes when I type, especially when using upper-row symbols. And since Windows users bear the brunt of most of the problem, just having a password has kept my computer free from intrusion.

The only time I don't seem to have a problem getting my way in the issue is by making my choice when installing. Then I am allowed the password of my choice. I don't look forward to reinstalling applications and re-configuring everything. It takes a long time.

But after about a dozen upgrades over the years, I will not stop trying to find a way to get my way, when I screw up, like I just did. There must be a way to force the change. Someone programmed in the restriction. Thanks for any further help. I am getting very close to having my computer working precisely like I want, the first time since I have been computing.

By the way, your link did not work, so I will keep on keeping on. Thanks, friend.

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
      The Kubuntu is using the User Manager:

You could try with the KDE KUser: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ser-Management

or cli: man passwd / http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/.../passwd.1.html

Comment

The links are working perfectly well, try again....

Comment

Hi friend,

I am missing an important part of one finger. It makes it very difficult to use the numbers row without making mistakes. It happens so much that I changed my Root password to a very easy and small password to be able to open the Root files fast and easy. I am in and out of Root often.

I have been operating this way for 20 years. I have been fortunate that no one attempted to enter my system, but since it is much easier to enter many more Windows computers, I think I have been avoided. I at least have a password, while many of them do not.

Recently I built a new computer. It has a way to secure the BIOS. I put a very secure password on the BIOS, which I rarely have to open to get into the computer, because I rarely shut my computer off. This provided the wiser and greater security Kubuntu desires, when I am using my unsafe Root password. Nevertheless I recently must have changed my Root password, because it is now a medium valued password that I often use for Internet lesser security reasons. Additionally, when booting from OFF, I have to enter the BIOS password to enter the boot menu, restoring the missing security caused by using my easy Root password.

When I was unable to enter Root, because of a rejected password, I tried several other of my passwords until I found one that works. I have no memory of changing the root password, but I must have done it, since it is a password among others I use.

Now you understand my special circumstances.

The link you provided does Not provide a solution for my situation that I can find. I want to change my Root password back to the 2 letter password that makes work so much easier. Any attempts to apply this password are refused and a window appears suggesting that the password I want is too easy and must be made more challenging. The only way to apply the easy password, using my understanding, is to re-install the operating system. When installing the operating system, the less safe password is allowed with a warning of its lack of safety. I want to force my easier password, if possible, but I don't understand use of the Shell well enough to do so.

I was helped on this issue quite a while ago, but am unable to find my notes how to do same, so I believe it can be done.

There has been obvious resistence to the posting of such information, because it is a dangerous way to keep a computer safe from attack, so I need a compasionate guru to help me. It is very important to me. It is also very frustrating, because knowing it can be done, while I am refused the freedom to do so very annoying. Since Linux is so freedom conscious, there must be a way, now that you know I have made secure measures, to allow me this information again.

If you can provide the solution, please help me. To keep the solution from this open-post, go to your profile and leave me an inner-forum message. I promise to not post the solution on the open forum. I can't see any way this information can hurt anyone but me or another user who chooses to work with a less secure system, and which should be their decision, since it only affects me or them.

I am an old man, 71, and won't live a great deal longer. I have gotten my computer to work the best it ever has with only two lingering problems to fix, and would appreciate enjoying my last days having the things that affect only me - as I want them. My computer is the most important tool in my possession.

I hope this embarrassing disclosure will entice you to help me, if you are able. Can't tell you how grateful I will be. Cudos! and Thanks in Advance.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          The links are working perfectly well, try again....

Comment

Install kuser, it will allow you to create a shorter password.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
              I don't even remember doing it, but my sudo password changed.
              Your sudo password is the same as your login password. Your password didn't change on its own! You may not recall doing it, but you--or someone with access to your system--changed it.

It changed to another password that I was able to find, however I do not want that password as my sudo password. In System Settings, when I attempt to change it back, a window opens saying it is not a difficult enough password. How do I force my computer to accept my change?
              That's simple. See below.

Thanks! I hate it when my freedoms are impinged upon. I don't want anyone making decisions for me.
              This is Linux, not windows. Therefore you always have complete control. Please don't mistake a lack of knowledge on your part for an attack on your freedom on Linux's part.

Do this:

Code:
              su -
              [enter root's password]
              passwd [your_username]
              [enter the password you want]
              [enter it again to verify]
              exit
              Here's an example where root's password is whatever, the username whose password is to be changed is john, and the desired password is 123:

Code:
              su -
              whatever
              passwd john
              exit
              Done!
              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	KonsolePwNtre.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	642348

My first attempt at opening su used the new password that I want removed and was rejected with 'Authentication failure'.

The second entry for su was using my old 2 letter password, that I would like to return to, and it opened the konsole in Root. This is backward to what was expected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RtPswdChng.png
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	642349

This shows my attempt to change my password in System Settings in Account Details. It shows how my 2 letter password was rejected.

According to your instructions, can you see what I did wrong? Thanks.

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                Your sudo password is the same as your login password. Your password didn't change on its own! You may not recall doing it, but you--or someone with access to your system--changed it.

That's simple. See below.

This is Linux, not windows. Therefore you always have complete control. Please don't mistake a lack of knowledge on your part for an attack on your freedom on Linux's part.

Do this:

Code:
                su -
                [enter root's password]
                passwd [your_username]
                [enter the password you want]
                [enter it again to verify]
                exit
                Here's an example where root's password is whatever, the username whose password is to be changed is john, and the desired password is 123:

Code:
                su -
                whatever
                passwd john
                exit
                Done!

Comment

In a konsole, I entered ~sudo kuser. When kuser opened I believe it was in root. I selected 'edit' and selected 'change password', typed in the current password, then typed in and verified my new password. There were no warnings about the size or rejection, so I Logged out and back in. The new password did not work, but the one I want to remove worked.

I then restarted the computer thinking maybe it was necessary to reset the Root Password. The new password was still rejected, and the one I want removed worked.

When the Operating System opened, only the unwanted sudo command worked.

I am sure it is a mistake on my part, but I don't understand what I may have done wrong. Thanks!

Originally posted by dtr View Post
                  Install kuser, it will allow you to create a shorter password.

Comment

How to use the KUser

KDE Menu > Applications > System > KUser

Current administrative/root password will be asked.

Pick the user (left click it).

Left click the 'Set Password'

Enter the new password (twice: Password & Verify) - click 'OK' button

Click the 'User Properties' window 'OK' button.
                    Terminate the KDE User Manager.

At here, one character is enough - no complexity or length checks/whines...
                    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5113[/ATTACH]

My first attempt at opening su used the new password that I want removed and was rejected with 'Authentication failure'.
                      su isn't the same as sudo; its password--as noted in my instructions--is root's password. (Of course your password, which is used when you sudo, could be the same as root's password.)

The second entry for su was using my old 2 letter password, that I would like to return to, and it opened the konsole in Root. This is backward to what was expected.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5114[/ATTACH]

This shows my attempt to change my password in System Settings in Account Details. It shows how my 2 letter password was rejected.

According to your instructions, can you see what I did wrong? Thanks.
                      If you follow my instructions exactly it'll work.

Let's try again.

Get to a prompt. I use Konsole for my command line stuff.

At the prompt type:

Code:
                      steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ [b][color=red]su -[/color][/b]
                      Don't omit the minus sign.

Enter root's password.

Now type:

Code:
                      root@Yeshuah-desktop:~# [b][color=red]passwd steven[/color][/b]
                      You should be prompted for the new password. Enter it and enter it again to verify.

*IF* you did exactly what I wrote, you'll see that the password was changed successfully.

Here's what it should look like:

Code:
                      steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ su -
                      Password: 
                      root@Yeshuah-desktop:~# passwd steven
                      Enter new UNIX password: 
                      Retype new UNIX password: 
                      passwd: password updated successfully
                      root@Yeshuah-desktop:~#
                      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you, and I very much hope that the good things happen to youuuuu
                        Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                        su isn't the same as sudo; its password--as noted in my instructions--is root's password. (Of course your password, which is used when you sudo, could be the same as root's password.)

If you follow my instructions exactly it'll work.

Let's try again.

Get to a prompt. I use Konsole for my command line stuff.

At the prompt type:

Code:
                        steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ [b][color=red]su -[/color][/b]
                        Don't omit the minus sign.

Enter root's password.

Now type:

Code:
                        root@Yeshuah-desktop:~# [b][color=red]passwd steven[/color][/b]
                        You should be prompted for the new password. Enter it and enter it again to verify.

*IF* you did exactly what I wrote, you'll see that the password was changed successfully.

Here's what it should look like:

Code:
                        steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ su -
                        Password: 
                        root@Yeshuah-desktop:~# passwd steven
                        Enter new UNIX password: 
                        Retype new UNIX password: 
                        passwd: password updated successfully
                        root@Yeshuah-desktop:~#

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you, and I very much hope that the good things happen to youuuuu
                          You're very welcome!

Comment

Working...
                          X