This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox - Flash not working

When I try to view a flash video in firefox, I get the message that I need to install Adobe Flash. If I connect to Adobe, and try to install flash, it wants an application for an APT stream. Don't know what to select, and I cancel the down load.

However, I did down load the tar.gz version,and did a manual install. I have also installed the kubuntu-restricted-extras and kubuntu-restricted-addons packages (as noted in another thread) and when I go to tools -> addons and slect the addons tab, it shows that Shockwave Flash is installed and allowed to activate. Checking all the files that I manually installed, and they all seem to have appropriate permissions.

Tried restarting Firefox, and then restarting the machine, but still doesn't seem to recognize that the flash player is there.

I've run out of ideas. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks for your time.
    Programmers, with their inbuilt sense of order and discipline should really be running the world.

You shouldn't have to go to Adobe's website because flashplugin-installer is in the software repositories for Kubuntu. You can install it from the terminal command line.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
    sigpic

Comment

Does Flash work on some sites? For some reason, a few websites I go to, the version of Flash installed (version11.2.202.359) doesn't work. But if I open the same website in Google Chrome it works, since it has it's own pre-installed version of Flash. Personally, I look forward to the day Adobe Flash is a nothing more than a distant memory of the likes of RealPlayer.

Comment

You won't see a newer version of Flash for Firefox in Linux. Adobe has withdrawn all support for Flash on Linux. The only way to get the latest version of Flash is to use Google Chrome which uses the latest "Pepper" implementation of flash or use Chomium and install pepperflashplugin-nonfree. Pepper Flash is now in Ubuntu repositories for trusty.
        sigpic

Comment

The adobe-flashplugin is installed on the system, but doesn't seem to do anything. I pointed it at the tar.gz file I downloaded, but nothing happened.

I really only need flash for one site (a local TV news site) so I think I will go the chrome route for now, and maybe come back and fiddle with firefox when I have more time.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
          Programmers, with their inbuilt sense of order and discipline should really be running the world.

Comment

I had similar problem, with version 11.2 the videos were lagging or in some cases "install flash" message apeared. So I just want to say you can actually have flash 13.0 on linux firefox thanks to pipelight.

Just uninstall flash from linux(to not have any conflicts) then
            Code:
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipelight/stable

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install pipelight-multi

sudo pipelight-plugin --update
            and
            Code:
            sudo pipelight-plugin --enable flash
            In my case at the beggining it installed ver12.0 but after same time and reboot it gone to newest one. For some reason firefox plugin page still shows shockwave flash 12.0 but when you check it on videos or check flash webpage there is 13,0,0,214 without questions.

Comment

Sorry for delay in responding. Pipelight has fixed the problem. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X