This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Runs Great without baloo

I know that file indexing is cool and all that, but my Kubuntu/KDE sessions were unusable with baloo running and using up CPU, RAM and disk activity.
    I was forced to try Gnome3 and gasp.... Unity. I could not use these desktops, however. But... since I disabled baloo, my KDE sessions are running like a charm. Fast, Responsive: now if I could only find a way to throttle Chrome down.

File search of my home directory still works. I can't say what I am missing without baloo.
    Is there a PERMANENT way to disable/stop baloo rather than renaming "baloo_filedotdesktop?"

After updates I usually open a Konsole and run
    sudo updatedb
    which refreshes the locate database. The locate command helps me to locate file names by full or partial expressions.

If I forget it doesn't matter because there is a daily chron activity, mlocate, that updates the locate database. If I want to search into a file(s) I use sed and grep. For example:
    grep -B3 -A4 hide /home/jerry/Documents/FOIA/FOIA/mail/*
    allows me to search over a thousand emails for the world "hide".

In addition, I can use Kate to search a directory containing thousands of files for an expression and I will get the collection of hits from which I can click individual hits and have the document appear in the document panel, at the line where the hit was found. It's very fast. here is a graphic of a search through over 1,000 emails for the word " decline ", which took two or three seconds.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	search_using_kate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	640770
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      After updates I usually open a Konsole and run
      sudo updatedb
      which refreshes the locate database. The locate command helps me to locate file names by full or partial expressions.

If I forget it doesn't matter because there is a daily chron activity, mlocate, that updates the locate database. If I want to search into a file(s) I use sed and grep. For example:
      grep -B3 -A4 hide /home/jerry/Documents/FOIA/FOIA/mail/*
      allows me to search over a thousand emails for the world "hide".

In addition, I can use Kate to search a directory containing thousands of files for an expression and I will get the collection of hits from which I can click individual hits and have the document appear in the document panel, at the line where the hit was found. It's very fast. here is a graphic of a search through over 1,000 emails for the word " decline ", which took two or three seconds.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]4908[/ATTACH]
      Thanks for the tip! I need to get more comfortable working with commands like grep. I am afraid of sed, however.

Comment

baloo however is interesting long term.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          baloo however is interesting long term.

woodsmoke
          I agree. Why not treat it like some distros treat Wayland: allow users to install it if they want to give it an early trial.
          Baloo now reminds me of the issues that KDE4 had in the beginning -- lots of great stuff, but not ready for everyday use.

Anyway, I'm back to KDE full-time sans baloo.

Comment

With or without Baloo

Baloo links

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...71-Baloo-links

Without Baloo - Tools

KFind

http://www.kde.org/applications/utilities/kfind/
            KFind can be used as a standalone search tool, launched by KRunner or from your menu....

The KFind is in the official Ubuntu repositories.

kio-locate

kio-locate is a KDE I/O Slave for the locate command. This means that you can use kio-locate by simply typing in dolphin/konquerors address box...

or through the KRunner "You can use kio-locate in all KDE applications, that accept URLs."

The binaries for the kio-locate can be found from the PPA: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?n...ter=kio-locate

Recoll

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...?content=52353

Recoll is a personal full text search tool for Unix/Linux...

The Recoll is in the official Ubuntu repositories.
            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Excellent post, Rog132!

I've gotten comfortable using the tools I've used in the past and don't bother to look for or examine replacements. Your post opens my eyes to new tools, which I am going to investigate.

EDIT:
              Baloo-kcmadv is not in the repository. I found the amd64 package here: https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+ar...+build/5949975
              Last edited by GreyGeek; May 06, 2014, 08:37 AM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X