This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Epson V600 Photo Scanner cannot be installed on Kubuntu 14.04

The Perfection V600 Photo scanner could be installed on Kubuntu 13.10 i386 using iscan deb files from Epson, namely:
    iscan-data_1.17.0-2_all.deb
    iscan_2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb
    iscan-plugin-gt-x820_2.2.0-1_i386.deb
    The instructions said to install them in the above order
    That worked with Kubuntu 13.10 but with 14.04 the first two files install but when attempting to install the third (using the QApt Package Installer) the dialogue box "Install Package" button is greyed out.

Can anyone suggest a solution for this?
    Volunteer OS Installer and Supporter for New Linux Users.
    So much to learn.... So little time!

go to a terminal and cd to the folder where you have the files. and type the following command :
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i iscan-plugin-gt-x820_2.2.0-1_i386.deb
    see if it installs if not post any error messages you get here.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Thanks Dave:
      I neglected to mention that I had tried that and here was the result:

dpkg: error processing archive iscan-plugin-gt-x820_2.2.0-1_i386.deb (--install):
      cannot access archive: No such file or directory
      Errors were encountered while processing:

Perhaps you can interpret the error and advise.

Thanks

Comment

It is saying it can not find the file. you may have typed the file name wrong, or you may need to type the full path to where it is located. Also the installer (dpkg) is case sensitive so if there are capitol letters they need to be type like that. if you indeed type everything correctly , then I would try re downloading the file. cause it may have gotten corrupted some how.

P.S. you must be in the directory where the file is located inorder for the installer to find it.
        Last edited by kc1di; Apr 26, 2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

After I attended to housekeeping here is the response:

Selecting previously unselected package iscan-plugin-gt-x820.
          (Reading database ... 124876 files and directories currently installed.)
          Preparing to unpack iscan-plugin-gt-x820_2.2.0-1_i386.deb ...
          Unpacking iscan-plugin-gt-x820 (2.2.0-1) ...
          dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of iscan-plugin-gt-x820:
          iscan-plugin-gt-x820 depends on iscan (>= 2.22.0); however:
          Package iscan is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package iscan-plugin-gt-x820 (--install):
          dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
          Errors were encountered while processing:
          iscan-plugin-gt-x820

Comment

Do not waste any more time on this on my account.
            I found on the Epson Drivers site that there is a new version of Iscan but I could not install it. Some work with Synaptic found a broken package from my earlier struggles with Iscan.

I will sort this out and try the new packages, which for some reason do not include the Iscan Plugin but perhaps it is no longer required.

I will return when I either solve the problem myself or need some more guidance.

Thanks for straightening me out on the terminal install. That got me back on track.

Comment

Glad I was of some help hope you get it sorted

Comment

Finally have it sorted out. Got so used to using the GUI that I forgot about the Terminal.
                Here is how I fixed it, just in case others may be wondering.
                Firstly the Iscan files I used to install on Kubuntu 13.10 have been superseded. Trying to use them to install on Ver 14.04 broke something. No error messages appeared . The installation would not work but no error messages appeared. The only indication of a problem was when trying to install the 3rd file of the installation (Iscan plugin) the "Install" dialogue box was greyed out. I re-tried the installation and then started getting installation errors.
                Thanks to kc1di suggesting that I use the terminal I found that there was a problem somewhere. I then reverted to the Synaptic Package Manager which told me I had a broken Iscan package.
                After deleting that package I returned to Epson's driver download site http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/se...h/searchModule and found that one of the installation files was updated this year. I downloaded the three files necessary to install the V600.
                They are:
                iscan-data_1.28.0-2_all.deb
                iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb
                Although some instructions claim that the third file is not required, I had to install it to make the scanner work on my system
                They were all installed using a Terminal. I had to do a system restart for the system to find the scanner.

Everything works great now thanks to Dave putting me back on track.

Comment

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and good you found a solution.

I've had such a scanner for several years (Summer 2011) and every half year I run into the same problem.

Nice to see you found newer versions than I'm presently using:
                  iscan-data_1.23.0-1_all.deb, iscan_2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb, iscan-plugin-gt-x820_2.2.0-1_amd64.deb

As you see I use the amd64 versions so there might be small differences.

So far the solution was to use gdebi instead of QApt.
                  This time I tried Apper and it also worked.

Kubuntu 11.10 introduced an issue with Hamrick's VueScan software on Kubuntu but with the aid of Ed Hamrick a final solution was found.
                  I can really recommend his scanner package!
                  I took the version with unlimited support.
                  http://www.hamrick.com/

Now I'm in the sales mode, I bought the scanner mainly for it's negatives and positives scanning ability but it's also excellent for regular paper.

PS, I downloaded the latest and found the same issue with QApt which was easily solved by using Apper.
                  Last edited by Teunis; Apr 26, 2014, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X