• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13.10 to 14.04 :]

So did a
    Code:
    do-releace-upgrade -d
    last night on the 13.10 partition ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,worked just great

on 14.04 now and all seams well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just sayin

Code:
    vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ lsb_release -idrc
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
    Release:        14.04
    Codename:       trusty
    vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ uname -a
    Linux vinnys-HP-G62 3.13.0-8-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 11 17:55:27 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ kde4-config --version | grep KDE 
    KDE Development Platform: 4.12.2
    VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

It's amazing how stable it is, isn't it? Blew me away...
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

13.10 runs a little slow for me as a VirtualBox guest. Your positive reports have inspired me to upgrade. I'll report how it goes.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
        It's amazing how stable it is, isn't it? Blew me away...
        I have never had stability issues with any of my installs (just lucky I guess) ,,,,,,,BUT yes ,,,,so far so good ; it dose seem a bit '''''' snappier than the last 2 or so .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

So according to the schedule Rog posted, this should have features and UI frozen, but not the kernel.

Can those of you who are more experienced (all of you ) shed since light on how much of a difference these steps usually make to stability?

I'm guessing that each freeze makes less of a difference than the previous freeze... but when do you choose to make the plunge, and why?
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Mostly out of habit, I upgrade my laptop at alpha 2 or thereabouts. Two month's distance from final release seems like the best time to test, with the most stability. The ole lappy isn't critical, even though it is my daily driver.

My pc I usually wait for a rainy day after the final release, or an XBMC upgrade.

I don't usually do a clean install, unless I get really bored on a different rainy day, or the very rare times an upgrade or PEBKAC has ruined something.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters
            Last edited by claydoh; Feb 21, 2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Pebkak?

Last edited by Feathers McGraw; Feb 21, 2014, 02:02 AM.
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I think he meant PEBKAC, Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.
                I call it a Keyboard to Chair Interface Failure
                I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

The "K" stands for knucklehead

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Hehe I'll have to remember that one!
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
                      13.10 runs a little slow for me as a VirtualBox guest. Your positive reports have inspired me to upgrade. I'll report how it goes.
                      It took me a while to get to this. Kubuntu 14.04 is a little snappier, but there is an imap KMail bug noted at the end of this post.

I had a Kubuntu 13.10 VirtualBox guest that was originally ugraded from Kubuntu 12.10.
                      First I cloned the virtual dirve for my Kubuntu 13.10 VirtualBox guest.
                      Code:
                      $ VBoxManage clonehd /media/multimedia/.test_virtual_drives/Kubuntu-quantal-testing.vdi /media/multimedia/.test_virtual_drives/Kubuntu-trusty-tahr-test01.vdi
                      0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%
                      Clone hard disk created in format 'VDI'. UUID: 08ac190d-dc13-4107-9ec1-ff6e48189c24
                      $
                      I started the cloned VirtualBox geust and needed to make sure eth0 is still the wired connection 1.
                      (If it wasn't I'd remove the old rule from 70-persistent-net.rules and change eth1 to eth0 on the new rule for the current guest. Before removing it I'd also make sure it was the old rule by comparing to the MAC Address for the VirtualBox guest to this ATTR{address}== value in the rule.)
                      Code:
                      $ sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
                      I changed the hostname.
                      Code:
                      $ sudo vi /etc/hostname
                      $ sudo vi /etc/hosts
                      I performed the upgrade to trusty.
                      Code:
                      $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
                      The VirtualBox guest additions failed to install, so I upgraded to latest version of VirtualBox and installed the guest additions again.
                      I received this warning message.
                      Code:
                      Warning: unknown version of the X Window System installed.  Not installing
                      X Window System drivers.
                      After rebooting the resolution was 640 X 480!

I resolved by installing the package virtualbox-guest-x11.
                      Code:
                      $ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11
                      I rebooted and now my resolution is 1643X939 and auto resize my guest display is enabled.

Akonadi was not running, so I had to start it.
                      I launched KMail and it connects. I can send and receive mail, but I receive this error multiple times in the System Notification area.
                      Code:
                      Fetch failed, server replied: A000040 BAD FETCH Additional arguments found after last expected argument [ CLIENTBUG ]
                      I found a bug report here
                      It was also reported on KDE Community Forums here
                      sigpic

Comment

I installed another VirtualBox guest (clean install) from the Trusty Alpha2 image. I haven't seen the BAD FETCH message so far in the clean install, and its been running for nearly six hours.

The upgrade install in the previous post is still plagued with this issue even after updates. I deleted and re-created the IMAP e-mail server, but I still get the BAD FETCH message.
                        Last edited by life0riley; Mar 03, 2014, 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling
                        sigpic

Comment

The Kmail "bad fetch" messages have stopped with the recent updates.
                          sigpic

Comment

Feathers asked why do the upgrade; when I get bored and need a challenge
                            Regretfully this can happen while in some place with a bad internet connection...

Comment

Loving the subtle updates for 14.04. The small attention to details such as the new networking icon and the updates to KDE IM really makes for an attractive desktop environment; it is great how FF is now the default browser too. Did I mention it is very snappy compared to 13.10? Great job devs , gets better with every release. Running on a A8 Richland, MSi FM2-A75MA-E35 board, 8gb of ram, 240GB ssd.

Comment

Working...
                              X