This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba, Dolphin GUI, no pass

So recently my system HDD died, so I had to reinstall...
    I did have nice Samba setup - right click on directory in Dolphin --> Properties --> Share --> Share with Samba and Allow Guests if required... and everything worked like magic. If I did tick "Allow Guests" it didn't ask for login/pass, if I didn't tick it did ask... Didn't have to mess around smb.conf each time blah blah blah...
    Now I can't make it work like that... that's what I need help with. I tried bunch of settings but with no luck. In the end I reverted everything back to default.

Code:
    :~$ testparm
    Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
    Processing section "[printers]"
    Processing section "[print$]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
    Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

[global]
            server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
            map to guest = Bad User
            obey pam restrictions = Yes
            pam password change = Yes
            passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
            passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
            username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
            unix password sync = Yes
            syslog = 0
            log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
            max log size = 1000
            dns proxy = No
            usershare allow guests = Yes
            panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
            idmap config * : backend = tdb

[printers]
            comment = All Printers
            path = /var/spool/samba
            create mask = 0700
            printable = Yes
            print ok = Yes
            browseable = No

[print$]
            comment = Printer Drivers
            path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    I currently have two samba users:
    user1 with password
    nobody password set to none

I'll apreciate any help
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 31, 2013, 08:59 PM.

It appears to me that the only shares you have in your smb.conf is for your printer.

Unfortunatly, it's my server stack that has the samba server in my network, not any of the desktops/laptops. That makes it hard for me to help you. I can make guesses, but I'm afraid that I'm going to mess up your system for you.
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
      It appears to me that the only shares you have in your smb.conf is for your printer.
      That's because if you set up share via Dolphin, it stores it at /var/lib/samba/usershares/{nameOfShare}
      Code:
      :~$ cat /var/lib/samba/usershares/sdb
      #VERSION 2
      path=/media/sdb/Share
      comment=
      usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:r
      guest_ok=y
      sharename=sdb
      Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
      Unfortunatly, it's my server stack that has the samba server in my network, not any of the desktops/laptops. That makes it hard for me to help you. I can make guesses, but I'm afraid that I'm going to mess up your system for you.
      It's not like I can't revert it, so even guesses would be nice... I'm out of guesses, cuz I tried alot of things...

Comment

Originally posted by uldo View Post
        It's not like I can't revert it, so even guesses would be nice... I'm out of guesses, cuz I tried alot of things...
        This is good to know. I want to set up samba between my wifes desktop and mine, to share her printer. We don't want to share files across our desktop. Usually, we pass what we want to print thru the "nobody" part of the server to each others desktop (amongst other files).

I have this site bookmarked and I read it constantly. This is what I used to set up my samba stack on the server: https://calomel.org/samba.html
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I just got it fixed... in smb.conf under [global] section add force user and set security = user...
          Code:
          security = user
          force user = username
          optionally, you can add force user only to the [share] you want it to...

Buddlespit, thanks, I'll check that link out.

Comment

Working...
          X