This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTP Support

Any Idea how to read and write to MTP devices?
    I have kubuntu 12.04 and Samsung Galaxy S3. When I connect my phone to my PC, I can open it, I can see the file names, I cant read files, I can't write to it.
    Please help.

try "mtp-tools" in your package manager.

it should pull in the rest of the packages kneaded to access the device properly ..........I think

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Guys,

I also just 'discovered' this little inconvenience when I tried connecting my new Samsung G3 to my laptop running Kubuntu 12.04 today. The phone only will mount as a camera.

After checking the web for info, I stumbled on to this thread recommending installing the 'AirDroid' app from the 'Google Play' store:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/43086...android-device (see 4th post in thread)

Tried it & it works well as is very easy to use.

For quick and easy access, I find this method rather useful.

I am not sure of the security and risk aspect if using this freeware app, though.

From,
      Jude

Comment

I have always been a really big fan of using ES File Explorer - its FREE. It has a built in FTP function that you can use to easily make your phone accessible from another phones/tablets or your laptop/desktop. Plus Dolphin uses the excellent FTP KIO-Slave meaning access is super easy and very well integrated in the desktop.

Lastly you could just use the KDE MTP KIO-Slave. Its included in KDE 4.10 by default and you might be able to find a *buntu package somewhere if you look. openSUSE 12.2 has a package for it.

Comment

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...er/006527.html
          KIO MTP packaged for raring and quantal...
          KIO MTP: http://www.afiestas.org/workspaces-gain-mtp-support/
          Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
          - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Possibly of interest...

* Dan Morrill, a Google engineer, "explains" why MTP is the future.

* MTP is, yes, a Microsoft invention ( > ) and is specifically designed to support restrictions:
            Additionally, the MTP allows MTP Initiators to identify the specific capabilities of device(s) with respect to file formats and functionality. In particular, MTP Initiators may have to provide passwords and other information to unlock files, or otherwise enable restricted capabilities. Nothing specific of this nature is in the core standard but the possibility is allowed via Vendor extensions (whereas USB mass-storage does not cater for such extensions).

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              try "mtp-tools" in your package manager.
              mtp tools, and all solutions based on libmtp, are very flaky for me with 12.10 and my Galaxy s3. If I turn off the phone, and on again, and try to connect with mtp within a few seconds of plugging in, it sometimes works. Just spent 10 minutes trying before I got a connection using jmtpfs[1], which holds the connection open with a fuser mount; then it works pretty well. I couldn't get kio-mtp to work, though it might work just as often as jmtpfs, it's easier to try repeatedly on a command line.

[1]http://research.jacquette.com/jmtpfs-exchanging-files-between-android-devices-and-linux/

I'm going to give airdroid a try. To move a lot (say, a few GB) of files I expect it's easier to use an SD card.

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post

I'm going to give airdroid a try. To move a lot (say, a few GB) of files I expect it's easier to use an SD card.
                Many new phones don't have SD cards anymore. That's one of the big issues people run into.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  Many new phones don't have SD cards anymore.
                  I presume the OP's s3 has a slot, because mine has:;

Regards, John Little
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Yeah all S3s (International and the US variants) have micro SD slots. I forgot that the OP has an S3 so my bad.

Comment

MtP support seams to work correctly for my nexus 7 however i can only see the internal "sdCard" . since this device doesn't have an sd card its emulated.

That is untill i try to copy files (deleting seamed to work). then it died.
                      Last edited by sithlord48; Feb 17, 2013, 12:49 PM.
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                        MtP support seams to work correctly for my nexus 7 however i can only see the internal "sdCard" . since this device doesn't have an sd card its emulated.
                        That's sort of how the KIO-slave works. It makes it seem like a normal directory. The Nexus 7 and all other Nexus devices will only appear as a single device since they have no internal partitioning. Most devices do and will appear as 2 devices. The MTP KIO-slave is the best way to work with MTP at the moment on Linux. A mod needs to mark this thread solved.

Comment

Can I just ask how MTP devices such as Nexus7 are working in Kubuntu?
                          In openSUSE 12.3 I posted this: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/ca...suse-12-3-128/
                          kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbasher View Post
                            Can I just ask how MTP devices such as Nexus7 are working in Kubuntu?
                            In openSUSE 12.3 I posted this: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/ca...suse-12-3-128/
                            It works on 12.04. I remember needing to add a ppa and installing the mtp KIO-slave. It worked much like it did on my openSUSE 12.2 install and current openSUSE 12.3 install. Just try it.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                              It works on 12.04. I remember needing to add a ppa and installing the mtp KIO-slave. It worked much like it did on my openSUSE 12.2 install and current openSUSE 12.3 install. Just try it.
                              I'll be giving 13.04 a run.
                              kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Working...
                              X