Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to enable Hibernate on (Kubuntu system menu -> Leave)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to enable Hibernate on (Kubuntu system menu -> Leave)?

Hello!

When I go to the Kubuntu system menu (big blue K at the bottom left) and click on the Leave tab, all options there work except for "Hibernate" which acts as if I had clicked on "Lock". The hibernate option did work perfectly for me in this computer on both 10.x and 11.x but not now on 12.04 (Precise Pangolin). I found that on Konsole I can type
    Code:
    sudo pm-hibernate
    to hibernate successfully, I just want it to work from the menu. Can anyone please tell me how to make the change? Thank you.

This may be relevant: How do I hibernate my computer?

Apparently hibernation was disabled by default in *buntu Precise - see Bug #812394 “Disable hibernate option by default” : Bugs : “policykit-desktop-privileges” package : Ubuntu - which I find astonishing. Also surprising that there is no simple (GUI) way to enable it, and no warning message.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I can confirm, too.
      Command
      sudo pm-hibernate
      hibernate successfully.

Hibernation in KDE does not working (menu option, power management)

Comment

Hello SecretCode, thank you for providing that link ("How do I hibernate my computer?"), I followed the steps and it works perfectly for me now. Thank you!

P.S. I did restart the computer before checking to see if the solution worked. Maybe it does without restarting first?

Comment

Good! (You can mark the thread solved via the "Thread tools" menu)

Comment

"The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla.

Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available."

That's the message I get when I try this. Any help? I have 100 GB of space and I made sure I had permissions set to write. What am I supposed to do?

Comment

What editor did you use? If a console-based editor, did you run it with sudo; if gui, did you run it with kdesudo?

Comment

I get the same error. I did go to the folder and enabled permissions for all to write.However, I can't save it to that folder nor can I move that file saved in another folder, to this folder. Please guide..
                Originally posted by foxman09 View Post
                "The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla.

Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available."

That's the message I get when I try this. Any help? I have 100 GB of space and I made sure I had permissions set to write. What am I supposed to do?

Comment

Kurious, How did you save that file to the folder. Did you change permissions somehow?
                  Last edited by PBharatK; Oct 20, 2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PBharatK View Post
                    I did go to the folder and enabled permissions for all to write.
                    I think it's a bad idea to change permissions like this on a system folder! Instead, use a console text editor like joe or nano or vi or emacs with sudo, or a GUI editor like Kate with kdesudo.

Comment

Code:
                      kdesudo kate
                      aria

Comment

I donlt know how to use kdsudo with kate. I am new to kubuntu.
                        Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                        I think it's a bad idea to change permissions like this on a system folder! Instead, use a console text editor like joe or nano or vi or emacs with sudo, or a GUI editor like Kate with kdesudo.

Comment

Do you prefer a GUI editor in a window, or a text-based editor at the console? I'm going to assume GUI! And Kate is the standard editor under KDE, but there are other choices.

Open a console or terminal window e..g using Konsole. Type the following:
                          Code:
                          kdesudo kate /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla
                          You'll be prompted for your login password.
                          Make the changes described in the article referenced above, and you should be able to save it.

"sudo" allows you to run commands with root authority, and "kdesudo" does the same but is better to use with GUI apps as it prevents config settings files in your home folder becoming owned by root.
                          Be careful what you change - check your typing - while running as root, because the system won't stop you doing dangerous things.

Comment

Thanks for your help, SecretCode. In spite of having changed the permissions I was not able to save that file using Kate alone. Thanks for your guidance in using the correct commands. I got Hibernation to work. Now I can just close the lid and not have to worry about having lost any of my work. Thanks again.
                            Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                            Do you prefer a GUI editor in a window, or a text-based editor at the console? I'm going to assume GUI! And Kate is the standard editor under KDE, but there are other choices.

Open a console or terminal window e..g using Konsole. Type the following:
                            Code:
                            kdesudo kate /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla
                            You'll be prompted for your login password.
                            Make the changes described in the article referenced above, and you should be able to save it.

"sudo" allows you to run commands with root authority, and "kdesudo" does the same but is better to use with GUI apps as it prevents config settings files in your home folder becoming owned by root.
                            Be careful what you change - check your typing - while running as root, because the system won't stop you doing dangerous things.

Comment

Thank you SecretCode for the link and the explanations.
                              Hibernation appeared in the menu, and works perfectly (HP-G6 i3-2350+hd3000 with 12.04).
                              Bests,
                              Last edited by aria; Dec 06, 2012, 09:51 PM.
                              aria

Comment

Working...
                              X