Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install Canon driver for Pixma mp540 (and others) in (K)ubuntu (amd64)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install Canon driver for Pixma mp540 (and others) in (K)ubuntu (amd64)

Some days ago I bought a Canon Pixma MP540 printer/scanner.
    I had some serious problems getting it to work om my AMD Quad core machine, but after some searching on various sites I found the solution for both the printer and the scanner setup.
    To save people my search I will post it here.

First: the printer.Download the drivers from the Canon website. I used the European site: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010641.asp
    Enter the above link and select option 11 (it says 11. Debian Linux Printer & Scanner Drivers (3.0))
    Download the driver to a new directory and un-tar them.
    You'll find 4 relevant .deb packages. For now, we'll just look at the printer packages.

On the Ubuntu forums, I found a post by feodo who explained the steps with an i386 machine:
    Hi,

My printer works, when I do next steps.
    1.Go to Canon-pages and download new Debian Linux-drivers.
    2. Install them.
    3. Go to Application/Add and remove aplications. There are two "printing"-services. Install both.
    4. Go back to "Addminstration/Printing".
    5. Remove "MP540"-driver.
    6. Install new printer and choose first one "USB..."(cnijusb:/dev/usb/lp0).
    7. Choose "Canon" and driver "MP540 ver-3.00".
    I hope this will work for most of you.
    On the same forums, I found a post by Industrial, who explained what to do when you have an amd64 machine (like I do):

The i386 drivers seem to work fine on my amd64 system. I had to install the deb files with the --force-architecture flag though. Also the cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb install had an unmet dependency which I fixed with a sudo apt-get install <dependency-name>.

So, my code was:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb
    which chucked up the dependency issue. Fixed with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libcupsys2
    Then, I was able to run:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb
    and
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-mp540series_3.00-1_i386.deb
    Then I followed the rest of feodo's steps.
    Hope this helps!
    After I installed the printer packages, I did install the scangear packages as well, but so far I haven't found any use for them. If anyone can hint me about their purpose, I'd be very grateful.

Second: The scanner
    This is somewhat more complicated (to be honest, I am a total newbie and I managed, so it should be manageable :P).
    I found the solution on The Canon Pixma Blog: http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008/04/gi...shly-sane.html
    This will get your scanner to work with Xsane. Follow the steps as closely as possible and you WILL get your scanner working.

I hope this post will be of use to some of you...

Working...
X