This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qmmp - good player

Qmmp player(Qt-based) with Winamp .wsz skins.

http://qmmp.ylsoftware.com/files/ubuntu/
    http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show....?content=59218

More skins:
    http://www.chairod.de/2OO8-O5-31/XMMS/Vortigo_1.1.wsz
    http://www.1001skins.com/skins_overv...reviews&page=1

Re: Qmmp - good player

Confirming that QMMP is a good player.

I like simpler players, I dislike players that are configured to ALWAYS synch my portable player and my PC etcetera; I dislike players that want me to tag and rate and share and scrobble EVERY stinking file I play... QMMP isn't doing ANY of that by default, and only some of the functions I listed above are even offered at all.

As of Kubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit, the latest version seems to be 0.3.1, but if you feel so inclined, source for QMMP 0.4.1 is posted in Debian repos right now.

Confirm that 1001 Winamp Skins offers skins that work for QMMP (I just downloaded and installed 5 skins from 1001) - just remember 2 important points:
    1] Only download skins that are titled 'classic' skin (modern won't work for QMMP),
    2] put the wsz file into your ~/.qmmp/skins directory.

Comment

Wonderful! I've got it installed and playing from my Sansa e280 mp3. Works perfectly!!

How, however, do you download the skins? I'm on 1001.skins.com and have checked just 'Classic Skins' and want to down load a few. When I click on the *.wsz file link, (which is a .php pointer) it opens in Konqueror as a UTF-8 encoded 'read only' file.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, using Firefox, I get the pop-up allowing me to open with Ark or to Save File, so that's good enough. But I would like to know how to make Konqueror do the same - offer me the choice to do something with it instead of opening it as a file.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          But I would like to know how to make Konqueror do the same - offer me the choice to do something with it instead of opening it as a file.
          No idea.

And welcome to MIME hell, good luck finding the answers.

I know that sounded sarcastic, but I can't seem to convince my system to let ME decide what opens certain file types, it seems that MIME encodings aren't user definable in some cases. I only use Firefox (Konq is here, just in case when I need a second opinion on a website), and it seems that I cannot convince FF to allow me to do specific things with specific files. It seems that a browser gets first dibs on how to handle a file which has a defined MIME type, but the normal user interfaces for the browser we are discussing do not allow user configuration for certain MIME types, even when other MIME types are displayed AND are user configurable, there is nothing there for certain MIME types. Like Black Ops on your PC or something. I've given up after asking in many places for any links to a tutorial that discusses how MIME types work (and are configured) in Linux.

But, getting back on topic, glad to hear you use QMMP and figured out how to save the skin into the proper location.

Comment

Running Kubuntu 10.04 32-bit w/KDE 4.5.1 here. Does/will qmmp read an audio CD? If it does, I haven't figured it out yet. It would be fantastic if it does.

Comment

Search for, and found the answer to my question: Yes, Qmmp will play audio CDs, but not in the version available in our repositories (version 0.3.1-1build1). Version 0.4.2 does, but you have to compile it currently, and it is not (yet) in the Ubuntu repos. Maybe soon?

Comment

Originally posted by mmmmna
                And welcome to MIME hell, good luck finding the answers
                The gates to MIME hell have been off the hinges for quite a while.

KMenu --> Systemsettings ---> Common Appearance and Behavior --> File Associations.

Konqueror opens the same settings dialog so that location changes MIME settings for all KDE4 apps.

FireFox mime types are controlled by /etc/mime.types and one which you can add mime types to ~/.mime.types
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'll add a plus one for this, good player, the skins work by just saving and going to settings/appearance/add however, as stated, not all skins work.

woodsmoke

sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Running Kubuntu 10.04 32-bit w/KDE 4.5.1 here. Does/will qmmp read an audio CD? If it does, I haven't figured it out yet. It would be fantastic if it does.
                    With the QMMP that I found in Kubuntu 10.04 repos, I hadn't yet played a CD in QMMP, so I searched a different forum, found this:

click the + button at the bottom of the play list window;
                    click add URL;
                    type only 'cdda:///' and then click add.
                    That got me a play list full of "CDA Track 0x";
                    I double clicked CDA Track 01, and it played the track from the CD.

HTH

Comment

That was a helpful bit if information mmmmna. Thank you. Works with my Qmmp version 0.4.1 on Maverick 10.10 and KDE 4.6.00

Comment

That was a helpful bit if information mmmmna. Thank you. Works with my Qmmp version 0.4.1 on Maverick 10.10 and KDE 4.6.00
                        Also works with QMMP 0.3.1 as installed on 10.04 64 bit.

Buuuutt.... I just installed 10.04 32 bit and the cdda:/// trick doesn't work. Must have configured or installed something along the way from install of 64 bit until the other day when I posted that hint.

Or maybe because I installed from a SD card in a USB card reader, so the CDROM drive access permissions was not set?

Comment

Working...
                        X