This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error 29: Disk write error

I am attempting to install Kubuntu 6.10 and everything seems to go ok. After I remove the cd and reboot I keep getting Error 29: Disk write error.
    I've tried several times and always get the error. Only after an install not with the cd.
    I found this on the Unbuntu forums:

After installing Edgy in the primary disk (the only HDD in the system) I was unable to boot either ubuntu or the previously installed XP. I always got error 29 from GRUB (disk write error). I tried installing ubuntu as the only operating system in the whole disk (letting the installer wipe out the entire disk), and also changing master/slave with the CD and reinstalling again, but I always ended up with the same problem.

I realized that the recovery option worked allright, then found that the problem was realted to the 'savdefault' GRUB command. The solution was just booting with the recoery option and eliminating any reference to the grub command 'savedefault' in /boot/grub/menu.lst

but it doesn't tell me how to 'eliminate' the command let alone how to find it in the first place.
    I am the newest of the new noobs when it comes to linux, so a whole lot of hand holding and explaining will have to be done. I do have experience with that 'other' major OS. So I am not a complete neophyte.
    Hopefully we can get this working correctly. Thanks in advance.

Re: Error 29: Disk write error

To write to that file open up command line and type
    sudo kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
    This will bring it up in a text editor,
    Near the top of my file it has the following
    ## default num
    # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
    # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
    #
    # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
    # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
    # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved' or your
    # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
    default 0
    From the sounds of things where mine says default on the last line yours may have saved. Because mine does say 'savedefault' twice later in the file in relation to the boot options.
    Once for Kubuntu
    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic
    root (hd1,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/hdb3 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
    quiet
    savedefault
    boot
    and once for windows
    title Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal
    root (hd0,1)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

It may be that your problem is simply that you, like in my case, have two OS's vying for savedefault, and that you are using that option near the top. Hope this helps somehow.

Comment

This is an attempt at a fresh install. No other OS involved.
      Tried the sudo kwrite....
      and I get back:
      kwrite: cannot connect to X server

Comment

Got'er done!!
        Deleted the line that had 'savedefault', saved the file and Kubuntu boots up.
        Used the vim editor to do it. Took a day to study up on it some before I tried to bork it on my own.

Comment

Working...
        X