This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no suitable destination host found by cups-browsed March 2021

Ecotankland has exposed what "may" be a situation with older versions of "cups-browsed".

The situation seems to depend on the distribution / version

The situation is this: cups-browsed

I have checked this on three different systems:
    a) the latest neon
    b) kubuntu 19.04
    c) Kubuntu 20.01

latest update of Neon user

I can remove cups-browsed and then restart the machine and then reinstall cups-browsed and the device is found automagically and it works for...SOME applications.

LibreOffice and Calligra will print 'the letter a" which is a kind of standard test that I have used for decades and it works.

GIMP will print a "picture of a house mouse" properly ONE TIME and then it prints half of the picture and then the bottom half of the page is filled with the "large color slabs" when printing a test page using the old style test page.

Other graphics applications will only produce this:

" no suitable destination host found by cups-browsed".

There are quite a few threads on the net about this with several workarounds.

Using Kubuntu 19.04

cups-browsed is in the repo but if I try to reinstall it I get the following:

Ubuntu / pool / main / c /cups _ 1.22.5-1 AMD 64.deb
    404 not found: IP 91.1 89.91 . 3880

cups-browsed stays installed and the Ecotank is not shown at all.

Using Kubuntu 20.1
    cups-browsed

shows the followiing in the repo: 1.28.5

Sooooooo it would seem that the situation is one of cups-browsed and even the latest, as of march 2021 not working for some OS but working with other OS.

Here is a long thread at the Mint forums:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop...10a9c9720c0020

If there are any comments by more experienced folks who could make some kind of "updated" comment on threads on the net that are in the range of this Mint thread from MARCH 06 2021 then such comments might be useable by folks using an older version of their particular OS.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 10, 2021, 01:31 PM. Reason: typed wrong version in 19.04
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Hi
    I will leave it to the good offices of the moderators as to whether to keep this thread, but, for the Neon machine, the situation seems to be SOMEWHAT resolved.

I, personally, dunno about other folks had a DISTRIBUTION UPGRADE today that installed 198 packages and required a restart and a "new" start.

I used the above test about the Ecotank and:

a) after plugging it into the USB port it was automagically found and configured.

b) Libreoffice printed the letter W and the image of the house mouse.

c) however GIMP again printed the:

Top half of the house mouse, centered on the page
    The bottom half of the house mouse was the above noted "colored registration lines" that covered about the bottom third of the page.

D) there is nothing in the print cue so the OS is finding the image and printing it to the printer but, apparently it may now be something with GIMP

E) Image viewer produces the house mouse but only with about "HALF" of the bottom half of the page with "registration colors" but only, again, HALF of the registrations lines that are in GIMP. AND THEN...

The printer module says that "it is waiting for the job to complete" and maybe... five minutes later, the image is PRINTED AGAIN... and the house mouse is now fully rendered.

HOWEVER, now I am back to the original situation that Image Viewer now returns the "no suitable destination is found".

Trying to print the letter "A" with Calligra Words, again, the message about "no suitable destination is found".

So, apparently, again, the Distribution Upgrade may or may not have been involved with this at all.

And, after the OS tries to "cups-browsed", some applications can find an image and print it once and then cups-browsed stops and others not.

woodsmoke

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 12, 2021, 08:10 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I have the same very annoying problem since I upgraded Neon to vmlinuz-5.11.0-27-generic this morning. I get the same problem with an HP laserjet M102W or an HP Officjet 6950. I haven't tried unistalling and reinstalling cups-browsed, but am a bit overwhelmed by the other mentions of the pb on the Internet, as Woodsmoke has indicated.
      Last edited by joneall; Aug 17, 2021, 10:33 AM.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

One restart later, I can say that unistalling (dpkg -r...) and reinstalling cups-browsed helped not at all. Still the same depressing message.
        I should have mentioned I am trying to print from Okular.
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Has nobody an idea of how to fix this? Not being able to print at all is a big hit on the system. It's a damn nuisance having to ship the file off to my wife's Windoze machine just to print it.

Comment

Working...
          X