This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] 5.8 kernel update blues

Once again I can't seem to get a working update to the 5.8 kernel on the first try. I'm using Groovy Gorilla, by the way. The past few kernel updates have been incomplete. I get something called an unsigned kernel version, plus most of the other packages, but not the extras module. What happens? When I reboot the network and audio are lost, forcing me to go back to the previous kernel. Tomorrow I'm sure the missing packages will be sent and I can update correctly, but what I don't understand is why this is happening. Since when are kernel updates a two-stage process? It doesn't make sense to send out partial updates if the result is a computer that has no sound or internet. Something must be going on that I don't understand.

Is there a way to avoid this, apart from using Discover to see the updates before I approve them? I have never had this happen until the 5.8 kernels came out, and lately it's been a frequent occurrence.

What kernel is currently running on your machine?

This is what is on my Groovy install:
    Code:
    inxi -Sxxxx 
    System:    Host: HP-ENVY-x360 Kernel: 5.8.0-41-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
             v: 10.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.5 tk: Qt 5.14.2 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM 
             Distro: Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla)
    As far as I know, 5.8.0 was what was installed (with a clean install), and all kernel updates since then (late December) have gone without any issues. When I get the notice in the system tray for updates, I always go to a konsole and use apt to update and apply upgrades. I do not use Discover to manage kernels, beyond the system tray notices.

What does Synaptic show with respect to kernels on your machine?

I know there are threads concerning audio and video issues. Neither of those issues have occurred on my HP Envy laptop.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

oldgeek, I have seen the exact same thing 3 times now on 20.04 and wondered the same thing! I went so far as to pin the kernel until I see all the packages are in the repo.

Comment

So, oldgeek, this is occurring in a Groovy Gorilla installation, correct?
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

First of all, the required updates came in--the 'other' 5.8.0-43 kernel, which replaces the unsigned version (which was deleted), plus the extras module. I rebooted and Groovy is back to normal. This problem has occurred on the last three kernel updates--41, 42 and now 43, plus a few others before that (though not always!). I'm running 20.10, which was upgraded from 20.04, and so is not a clean install. I almost always update using the Konsole, particularly with an alias I got from this forum. That has always worked, except for the kernel updates in 5.8. My current kernels are the last two--43 and 42. The uninstalled ones go back to 5.8.0-25, as far as I can tell. I have only Kubuntu 20.10 on my system, using btrfs on a 500 Gb HD. Is there any other information I can add?

Comment

the required updates came in--the 'other' 5.8.0-43 kernel, which replaces the unsigned version (which was deleted)

The latest kernel in 20.10 is 5.8.0-41, not 43

The only way to get the -43 version is by enabling the experimental "proposed' section of Ubuntu's repos, which is the 'pre-release updates' option in Software Sources' Updates tab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210206_133924.png
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	645034

This used for testing only, and may not have the matching linux-modues-extra, or the kernel image package simply may not have it as a dependency in this section.

I could be incorrect, but here one can check (here, I have enabled the 'pre-release updates'):
            Code:
            apt policy linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic 
            linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic: 
              Installed: (none) 
              Candidate: 5.8.0-43.49 
              Version table: 
                 5.8.0-43.49 500 
                    500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu [B]groovy-proposed[/B]/main amd64 Packages
            versus
            Code:
            apt policy linux-image-5.8.0-41-generic
            linux-image-5.8.0-41-generic:
              Installed: (none)
              Candidate: 5.8.0-41.46
              Version table:
                 5.8.0-41.46 500
                    500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu [B]groovy-security[/B]/main amd64 Packages
                    500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu [B]groovy-updates[/B]/main amd64 Packages

or
            Code:
            apt search linux-image-5.8 | grep installed
            Will show similar info. Packages from groovy-proposed will not show unless it has been enabled.

It looks like the testing kernel does not have a corresponding linux-modules-extra package in the 'proposed' section. This of course is why you keep 'losing' this.

So, disable the Pre-release updates, and remove the -43 kernel (after booting to a previous one). or just disable, boot to the -41 kernel, and wait till the -43 becomes official. This should pull in the modules-extra package, as the kernel package in the normal section of the repos had a hard dependency on it.
            Last edited by claydoh; Feb 06, 2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Yes, Claydoh, that does seem to be the reason for the problems. I have unticked the last two update choices (don't even remember ticking them before). I wonder if that's the reason for the other problems people have been having with audio and networks...Kernel 5.8.0-43 seems to be up-to-date now and is running well, so can I just leave it as it is? Will that affect future kernel updates, or does the updater check to see what kernel is installed before updating it? I appreciate your clearing this up for me.

Comment

Since the -43 is due to be offered as a normal update at some point in the near future, you should be safe, especially having disabled the 'pre-release' option. Updates should be normal after this happens, now that you are out of the pre-release track.
                The very worst thing that could happen is needing to boot to a previous kernel, and uninstalling the pre-release version if there are somehow dependency issues trying to update to the official package (not very likely, but always possible).

Comment

Working...
                X