This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu signal loss after booting live USB Geforce GTX-1060 problem

It seems that there is still a problem with the Geforce GTX-1060 to boot with a working signal on my screen. I have tried the previous versies: 18 and 19, but the problem with signal loss in combination with a Geforce GTX-1060 still does not work. Choosing the save screen modus does work, but the windows are so big and I cannot reach the buttons that are falling off the screen. I don't want to figgle with the boot files to tweak the nouveau Nvidia drivers: this should work immediately. I have tried to boot the live USB stick with my other PC (older Geforce GTX 950) and it does work like a charm and resolution is immediately detected (4K at 60Hz).

Can Kubuntu upload a better version of 20.04 that supports my Geforce GTX-1060 immediately with a 4K screen attached, without loosing signal immediately after booting ? Windows immediately recognizes my 4K screen at 60 Hz refresh immediately after installation, but Kubuntu 20.04 stucks after booting and looses signal on my GTX-1060. The problem must be in the Nivida Nouveau drivers, but a normal person is not keen to figgle on the boot files to make the card work.

Nvidia the company does not help the open source driver folks with Nouveau much if at all. It is definitely something out of Kubuntu's hands, and probably even out of Ubuntu's, considering that iirc 20.04 has pretty up to date Nouveau driver.
    Your gpu/display combo may be an outlier of sorts, I do not see reports of blank screens in the installer in *buntu so it may not be the 'norm' for this popular gpu.

Hopefully those who use Nvidia cards can chime in with their experiences and possible troubleshooting hints.

Comment

The first thing that I'd do is go to NVidia's downlaod page and read the release notes on the Linux drivers to see if they support 4K displays. If they do, then go to the next step.

I have a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti card that initially had bad screen tearing and display/system hang issues with the Linux 5.4 kernel in Kubuntu 20.04. After playing with settings with unsatisfactory results, I finally upgraded my kernel to 5.6, which solved the problem. It's easy to upgrade the kernel using the instructions at http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...tu-linux-mint/. Worked great for me.
      ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by Tanker Bob View Post
        The first thing that I'd do is go to NVidia's downlaod page and read the release notes on the Linux drivers to see if they support 4K displays. If they do, then go to the next step.

I have a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti card that initially had bad screen tearing and display/system hang issues with the Linux 5.4 kernel in Kubuntu 20.04. After playing with settings with unsatisfactory results, I finally upgraded my kernel to 5.6, which solved the problem. It's easy to upgrade the kernel using the instructions at http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...tu-linux-mint/. Worked great for me.

Unfortunately, this does not help the OP with this specific issue, as this is happening on the live installer.

I wonder if a nomodeset flag at the boot menu might help? At least to give a more useful or working resolution, perhaps?
        I think this is still a common boot tweak for installing with Nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Unfortunately, this does not help the OP with this specific issue, as this is happening on the live installer.

I wonder if a nomodeset flag at the boot menu might help? At least to give a more useful or working resolution, perhaps?
          I think this is still a common boot tweak for installing with Nvidia
          Hmm. Well, this page seems to have a how-to that might help: https://itsfoss.com/fix-ubuntu-freezing/.
          ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
          X