1. Back To Top    #71
    Kubuntu as Second Language NoWorries's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    Mar 29th 2020
    Local Time
    12:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRise View Post
    Sorry for stealing this thread but I know those on this chain can answer.

So, I have an 18.04 system that I want to migrate to 20.04. Best way? I'd like to help in the Beta Testing if at all possible.

Thanks!
    Glad to hear that you are giving it a go and welcome to this thread.

As a seasoned Kubuntu participant, I assume you have a separate home partition. To be on the safe side it would be useful to copy all your /home directory and its hidden files onto an external drive which is formatted to your preferred Kubuntu file system. I made a big mistake recently when I could not copy my /home to a Kubuntu file system. I was using KDE Partition Manager and it made the owner and user root! I was able to change this back to my /home directory ownership and do the copy.

I have always installed a new system by using the manual option for disk partitioning, in the installation process, and format /root and keep the /home as is. If I strike problems on reboot, I then try locating the hidden file/files causing the problem and change names by adding _bk to the end of the file. I have always found on reboot that the system creates new versions and I then copy files that I need from my backup directory.

Hope you have success with 20.04 and find it, as many of us do, to be a great system.

2. Back To Top    #72
    Threads
    Local Date
    Mar 28th 2020
    Local Time
    09:28 AM
    I would pretty much go with what NoWorries wrote, except that I am a fan of clean installs. I always created a single partition, "/" and let the system create /home without making it a separate partition. Then I install the applications I want. Then I do a reboot and make a backup. When that is finished I copy over the config and data file from the backup of my old /home account and adjust any setting that didn't get set up the way they were before the upgrade.

3. Back To Top    #73
    Threads
    Local Date
    Mar 28th 2020
    Local Time
    10:28 AM

Bionic To Focal One Shot

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRise View Post
    So, I have an 18.04 system that I want to migrate to 20.04. Best way?
    You should do a bootable stick of the daily ISO first, just in case. Backup important stuff.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

It's not all mirrors that support 20.04 yet. The best and fastest way is the is one below, we did it from 19.10 the very first week (Eoan). We have been tested many daily builds since then.

We have lost the installation 3 times in Proposed early in the cycle, but we define ourself as an aggressive tester.

Upgrading Bionic Beaver to Focal Fossa:

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/bionic/focal/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt -y dist-upgrade
    Code:
    do-release-upgrade -c
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    Before upgrading, do the following and redo them after upgrade:

Code:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
    Code:
    sudo apt autoremove
    Clear thumbnails and cache:
    Code:
    rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*.png
    Code:
    rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*/*.png
    Code:
    sync; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    Go luck,
    Last edited by Radcliff; Today at 06:01 AM.

4. Back To Top    #74
    Kubuntu as Second Language NoWorries's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    Mar 29th 2020
    Local Time
    12:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWorries View Post
    From now on, as I have two systems with 20.04, I have one with proposed and the other without proposed. IF I find a problem with the proposed system, how should I go about notifying anyone of the problem?
    Just for the record, my system with proposed enabled, now has muon working and I have purged Synaptic from this system.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678