This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Booting on UEFI Laptop - First time

For years I've installed various flavors of Linux right alongside Windows with no problem, because I wasn't dealing with the UEFI setup but the old BIOS.

So back in March I buy myself a shiny new Dell Vostro 5370 that came with Windows 10. This weekend I finally decide it's time to dual boot this machine, and get Kubuntu 19.10 ready to go. After disabling secure boot in the bios and allowing the Legacy boot, I install Kubuntu without a problem.

After rebooting is when the problems began.

Instead of seeing what I was used to (GRUB), I saw a dark screen, then the Kubuntu logo. It boots into Kubuntu with no problems. A few restarts and Kubuntu keeps loading. No option for the Win10.

Playing around with the "one time boot" screen, I see under "Legacy the SSD and the external DVD drive I was using. Under the UEFI option I saw the Windows. Selecting the Windows brings up the Microsoft logo, the spinning dots, then darkness. Followed by booting into Kubuntu.

Never saw the "grub" menu. Is it still around? I needed the data on the windows 10 side, so I re-enabled the secure boot and turned the legacy boot off, and it booted right back into Windows without a problem.

So is there a proper way to install Kubuntu on a UEFI machine? My other hardware is rather dated, so this is my first time dealing with it.

I've messed with Kubuntu 19.10 in a VM, but as it was running native;y (briefly) I discovered it looked GREAT!

Not sure if this will help, here's how I did this:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post418607
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK View Post
      ... allowing the Legacy boot...
      I think you don't want that. IIUC if the computer boots in legacy mode it can't do UEFI, which Win 10 uses (unless it's an upgrade from Win 7), and it won't do a UEFI install of Kubuntu.

In theory, in Kubuntu you can install the package grub-efi-amd64 then do grub-install --target=x86_64-efi, but it might be simpler to turn off the legacy boot and reinstall Kubuntu.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Yes, jlittle, I missed that little detail! Yes, turn off Legacy Boot, and I think you have to turn on Secure Boot for the Windows OS, which is OK (as Kubuntu has a way of working around that OK).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I've just gone through this exercise, except my new/used laptop is a HP EliteBook. After a frustrating day of trying to work around UEFI, Secure Boot, creating a EFI partition, etc., I went into BIOS, set an admin password and turned on "Legacy Boot." That solved my problems and now my laptop dual boots flawlessly into Kubuntu or Windows 10.

UEFI was a "gift" from Microsoft that just keeps on giving.
          "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Regarding jlittle's post about not wanting a legacy boot, my new/used laptop was upgraded from Windows 7, so I've had no problems booting into Windows 10 with legacy boot. Just wanted to clarify my situation.
            "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Inconsistencies between OSes is just one of the reasons that I do not dual boot. I'm not talking about using a virtual machine, but with dual boot the user can only use one OS at a time. So, it becomes a PITA to go from one OS to another. Another reason I don't dual boot - there is nothing that I want to/need to do in some other OS (Windows anything). In reality, the best way to run two OSes (again, other than virtual) is to have two machines
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I octual boot

Code:
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.0.0-37-generic
                Found Arch Linux (rolling) on /dev/sda2
                Found Kali GNU/Linux Rolling (kali-rolling) on /dev/sda3
                Found Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (18.04) on /dev/sdb1
                Found Ubuntu 13.04 (13.04) on /dev/sdb2
                Found Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS (10.04) on /dev/sdb4
                Found KDE neon Unstable Edition (18.04) on /dev/sdc1
                Found Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development branch) (20.04) on /dev/sdc3
                Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration

Comment

@Don B. Cilly 👍 https://tinyurl.com/y35p5zts

Comment

Nice (actually, I almost didn't click on it, URL shorteners look suspiciously suspicious to experienced navigators ;·) but then, senior member and all...

You might want to mention rEFInd, which I find vastly superior to grub2 and is the boot manager I use.

Comment

Working...
                    X