This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound on Kubuntu 19.04

I have been looking for a cause/fix for this but havent had any luck. How would I go about resolving this issue?
    I have looked into settings and it is unmuted, it is set to internal speaker(built in Analog speaker),

Code:
    sudo apt remove alsa-base pulseaudio
    sudo apt install alsa-base pulseaudio
    And maybe followed by

Code:
    sudo alsa force-reload
    is probably worth a try.
    It worked for me...

Comment

I tried that and now it wont boot back. It give me an error like kde or something isnt installed. I dont have access to the terminal either. I will boot to that screen and post it here

Comment

The error I recieve is here. https://ranchoconcepcion.s3.amazonaw...808_112900.jpg

Comment

Can't see it I'm afraid.
          Can you attach it here?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190808-125657_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	644279 let see if this works

Comment

Getting some hardware info would be useful here, especially before suggesting a random package removal/reinstall, which seldom work, if ever.

Comment

I did an update on everything the ran the commands above. Then rebooted system and that's what it boots too now. What hardware would you need to know.

Comment

Something important was removed along with the pulseaudio packages.

see if (re)installing these fixes things:

plasma-desktop-data plasma-desktop kubuntu-desktop
                  for example:

Code:
                  sudo apt install plasma-desktop-data
                  Probably only the first one is needed, but the others two should make sure any other missing Plasma bits are pulled in.

Comment

I dont have access to the terminal.. l

Comment

I am in the root. Running in recoverymode I can get to the root user. I ran the apt plasma-desktop-data command and it says it is already at the latest version. Also ran the other two commands. I get the same results
                      Last edited by panch0; Aug 08, 2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panch0 View Post
                        I am in the root. Running in recoverymode I can get to the root user. I ran the apt plasma-desktop-data command and it says it is already at the latest version
                        Try apt reinstall instead. The image you posted is saying there is a missing file, and this package is what provides this file.

You can get to a full screen terminal from the desktop by using ctrl-alt-f2
                        And then back to the desktop with ctrl-alt-f1.

Also try installing kubuntu-desktop and plasma-desktop, which may also pull in some missing items

While Don's suggestion to uninstall some things also caused other things to be uninstalled as well, things not added back using his second command, those extra bits are not essential, and should not be causing your problem as far as I can tell, so you may be having other issues besides the sound not working.

Can you give more info, such as what make and model of system you have?

I may not be able to respond myself too quickly as I have to go back in to work shortly, but hopefully others will jump in and help as well.

Comment

I did cnrl - alt - t and got to the terminal. ran the commands and it now is back and working. Thank you very much for your help!
                          Also the sound is working

Comment

If reinstalling pulseaudio "caused other things to be uninstalled as well"... hmm...
                            (and may I point out that reinstalling pulseaudio when sound is not working is not exactly random)
                            ... when that sort of thing happens, in my limited experience it's usually a disk failing.

Me, I would try to run fsck or some disk utility from another system or a Live USB, and see what it says.

I may be wrong -only trying to help - but I've had sound fail more than once and reinstalling pulseaudio always worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                              If reinstalling pulseaudio "caused other things to be uninstalled as well"... hmm...
                              (and may I point out that reinstalling pulseaudio when sound is not working is not exactly random)
                              ... when that sort of thing happens, in my limited experience it's usually a disk failing.

Me, I would try to run fsck or some disk utility from another system or a Live USB, and see what it says.

I may be wrong -only trying to help - but I've had sound fail more than once and reinstalling pulseaudio always worked.
                              If you are on Neon still, there may be a difference in the dependencies to what Kubuntu has (not 100% likely, but very possible, but more so if you are running the dev-unstable branch)

IThe packages you suggested to remove also uninstalls a number of other things, and even more if an autoremove is run, as the command output suggests in the top half, as they are not needed when those two are gone.
                              Code:
                              gus@gus-HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF:~$ sudo apt remove alsa-base pulseaudio
                              Reading package lists... Done
                              Building dependency tree       
                              Reading state information... Done
                              The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                                fonts-noto-unhinted kde-style-oxygen-qt5 kgamma5 libdbusmenu-qt2 libibus-1.0-5 libkf5emoticons-bin
                                libkf5emoticons-data libkf5emoticons5 libkf5people-data libkf5people5 libkf5peoplebackend5
                                libkf5peoplewidgets5 libkfontinst5 libkfontinstui5 liboxygenstyle5-5 liboxygenstyleconfig5-5
                                libpulsedsp libqt5concurrent5 libsbc1 libscim8v5 libwebrtc-audio-processing1 libxcb-record0
                                linux-sound-base pavucontrol-qt-l10n plasma-desktop-data pulseaudio-utils
                                qml-module-qt-labs-settings rtkit sni-qt
                              Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
                              The following packages will be REMOVED:
                                alsa-base[B] kubuntu-desktop libcanberra-pulse pavucontrol-qt[/B] plasma-desktop [B]plasma-pa[/B] pulseaudio
                              [B]  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth[/B]
                              0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 8 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                              After this operation, 16.4 MB disk space will be freed.
                              Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
                              When reinstalling alsa-base and pulseaudio, NONE of the other packages removed are reinstalled.
                              As I did state, none of the the things removed along with the two would have caused the OP's problem, unless they did do an autoremove, which does not seem to be the case as the plasma-desktop-data package was still present on their system.

What might work on your specific hardware is not a guarantee that it will work on someone else's hardware.

Comment

Working...
                              X