This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Icons

I've got custom icons for programs that I like to "pin" to the "Icon's Only Task Manager".

When they are running, they show the icons that I want them to show. When I close out of the program, they revert to the icons that are supplied in the theme (I'm assuming this as other then FF, T-Bird, VLC, the other programs that I have "pinned" are either AppImages or Binary Archives and not installed through the package manager).

I have either edited (the apps that were already installed) or created custom .desktop files (that work in other DEs and do show the correct icon when the program(s) are open) to reflect the necessary changes that I need. My question is are there any other settings that I need to do in KDE to keep my custom icons even when the program is not open?
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

I thought the icon system worked the same as before. I am still using 14.04 and I can use any PNG for an icon. All I do to create a custom icon is create or save the image as PNG to any folder. I right click the application to open the properties. On the General Tab, I click the image of the current icon and browse to find my replacement. To keep this all well organized, I place any custom icons in my home in a hidden icons folder.

Doesn't 18.04 work that way?

Comment

This is what I do:

1. Keep the icons (SVGs) in their own folder.
      2. Direct the icon listing in the .desktop file to where the SVGs live.
      A. For the binary archive and the appimages, I've created my own desktop files that I put in the /usr/share/applications folder (this have been used for other distros etc, so the desktop files themselves are kosher)
      B. For the already installed applications, I go in and edit the same line in their respective desktop files

What I observe using the Icon Only widget, is that when I open and the pin a program, if the program is open, it displays the desired icon. When I close the program, it goes to whatever icon is used within that theme. Open it up again, it goes to the one that I wanted.

Attached is what I've also observed as well. This happens with all of the launchers, not just this specific one. Don't know if it's related or not.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so if I pin them before opening the program, the custom icons will stay with the icon that I want after I close out the program.

The launcher version (attached picture above), still remains the same in all 3 launcher versions. It's really getting me with my OCD more then anything.

I could do away with the launcher widget and use the search widget for programs that I need to run outside the programs I have pinned, but then I can't replace the icon for that widget (at least it's not easily accomplished in the widget settings, if there is another way, let me know). Again, neither really is a game stopper by any means, it just afflicts my OCD and I just hopefully can find a way to fix it.

Comment

Working...
        X