Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird problem with a SuperMicro server motheboard and graphic card ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Weird problem with a SuperMicro server motheboard and graphic card ?

Hi

Here is the problem I encounter. I have a Linux server running on a SuperMicro motherboard (X10SLR-F) with some ZFS storage arrays (the Linux itself is running on a software linux raid on two SSD). It was installed around 3 years ago with Ubuntu 14.XX I guess. It has no graphic card in it (I was just using the remote IPMI system to access graphic interface of Ubuntu if needed (row resolution 640-480 as IPMI).
    Now I want to install a basic new NVidia card GT710 and reinstall clean the OS (since three years I made a lot of tests and experimentations and it became a big mess and the network part became cahotic..).
    I install the graphic card in the server (in a PCI-E 3.0 16X slot) and then try an install of Kubuntu on it. As the machine is in a closet I use the IPMI interface to do the install that goes fine (the ZFS arrays is disconnected of system for install as I'll have to install after the zfs tools and import the arrays !).
    Then i reboot and I see the grub prompt appears that I validate and then the system hangs immediately on the purple ubuntu color full screen then I realise that the output has probably switched to the graphic card but nothing on HDMI output of the graphic card. I tried few times but not much more luck. The system is setup to boot in UEFI and I forced BIOS in 'Legacy' but still exactly the same !
    I'm unable to switch too to a tty to see any logs or errors.
    I have reset all BIOS parameters just in case but same.
    The worse is that even if I put back the old drives (the old OS I have kept apart just in case) exhibits same symptom now even without the graphic card !

I'm pretty lost here where is the problem... Is the graphic card defective ? or might it have damaged the motherboard ? or modified something that prevents the old system to boot too now ?

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have or similar cases ? Will post any updates if I continue investigations tomorrow, for now pretty bored with it so switched off machine

Thanks

Vincen
    Last edited by vincen; Feb 17, 2019, 10:41 AM. Reason: syntax
Working...
X