This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi-scrambled text in Launcher GUI

In https://i.stack.imgur.com/gjdxd.png (from https://askubuntu.com/q/1118019), the second line of text appears all broken. The poster claims it happens in other KDE Plasma distros as well.
    Kubuntu 20.04

The poster has included the output of inxi -Fxz. Could it be something to do with the NVIDIA graphics card?

Text typed in the Search box is normal.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Sure it may be the driver (340), as 390 is the current stable in 18.04, I don't think the GT610 is relegated to an older driver ( I don't have that card any longer)

But really, the resolution looks funny, 1360x768 is normally 1366x768 (720p), so it could be the monitor or TV it is connected to. I had a problem with this years ago on a 32 inch 720 tv that would not get 1366 no matter what brand or model of card or xorg setup, iirc. It had abnormalities like this. It was 2011, and I had other more pressing problems so I don't recall if I ever got it to work well enough, but I did sell the TV and got a 27inch (720p) monitor instead, which worked as expected.

A newer driver might help if the resolution is correct.
      Just google 1360x766 and see how often weirdness exists no matter what the OS.

Comment

yeah, Nvidia lists the 390 driver as the choice.

pro tip: when upgrading/downgrading Nvidia drivers no matter if installed via command line or via the Driver Manager (preferred), run sudo apt autoremove to get rid of stray conflicting bits of the previous driver, else the graphics will be low res or similarly garbled

Comment

@claydoh, thanks! I've linked to this thread. Let's hope the poster joins KF
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
          X