This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make Mongo DB work on 18.04

I'm still new to Linux. Used to Windows.

Mongo works really well and easily on Windows. It took me all of 2 minutes to get it working there. No such luck on Kubuntu.

Per the Mongo docs,
    https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/tuto...odb-on-ubuntu/

I removed the ubuntu version of mongo and installed the Mongo DB Community Edition.

I'm not entirely certain that I did it correctly and would not be opposed to wiping out the mongo installation and starting over.

Is there someone who can help me understand and get this working?

[EDIT]
    For anyone else who installed the 'official' version of Mongo and then found that it was buggered up, the solution is in post #11, just skip ahead.
    Last edited by TwoFistedJustice; Feb 06, 2019, 03:32 PM.

You would need to tell us what is wrong, not working, or what error messages you are seeing.

What are you expecting to see?
    How did it go with the stock Ubuntu setup?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

The error I was getting was rather opaque. "connection failed" or some such.

I didn't even try the native Ubuntu mongo because the official MongoDB docs strongly implied that I should only use theirs and I naively believed them. So now I'm in a bind.

Prior to installing the mongodb-org packages, I uninstalled the Ubuntu version. Could that be the source of my problem?

If there is a way to simply remove all the mongodb-org stuff and re-enable the Ubuntu versions, that might be easier than slogging through this. I will gladly try that first if can find out how.

In Muon, Mongodb-org was listed as "Broken". So, through Muon, I uninstalled everything mongo, then attempted to reinstall the Mongodb-org packages via this tutorial,
      which is a more readable clone of the official docs:
      https://tecadmin.net/install-mongodb-on-ubuntu/

Mongo is still "broken", but this time I saved the terminal output. Here it is with some added formatting to make it easier to follow. Note, I followed any suggestions made the by the installer. User input is italic. Prompts are in bold. Errors are called out in red.

<begin output>
      hoo@BadWolf:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv 9DA31620334BD75D9DCB49F368818C72E52529D4
      [sudo] password for hoo:
      Sorry, try again.
      [sudo] password for hoo:
      Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.R87cCRTWjY/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv 9DA31620334BD75D9DCB49F368818C72E52529D4
      gpg: key 68818C72E52529D4: "MongoDB 4.0 Release Signing Key <packaging@mongodb.com>" not changed
      gpg: Total number processed: 1
      gpg: unchanged: 1

hoo@BadWolf:~$ echo "deb [ arch=amd64 ] https://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu bionic/mongodb-org/4.0 multiverse" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list
      deb [ arch=amd64 ] https://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu bionic/mongodb-org/4.0 multiverse

hoo@BadWolf:~$ sudo apt update
      Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [88.7 kB]
      Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
      Hit:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/nathan-renn...ck/flux/ubuntu bionic InRelease
      Ign:4 https://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu bionic/mongodb-org/4.0 InRelease
      Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [88.7 kB]
      Hit:6 https://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu bionic/mongodb-org/4.0 Release
      Ign:7 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
      Hit:8 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable Release
      Hit:9 http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu bionic InRelease
      Get:10 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [74.6 kB]
      Fetched 252 kB in 2s (152 kB/s)
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      63 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
      W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (multiverse/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11-icons (multiverse/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11-icons-hidpi (multiverse/dep11/icons-64x64@2.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11-icons-large (multiverse/dep11/icons-128x128.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target CNF (multiverse/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target CNF (multiverse/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (multiverse/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11-icons (multiverse/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11-icons-hidpi (multiverse/dep11/icons-64x64@2.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target DEP-11-icons-large (multiverse/dep11/icons-128x128.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target CNF (multiverse/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1
      W: Target CNF (multiverse/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list:1

hoo@BadWolf:~$ sudo apt install mongodb-org
      Building dependency tree
      The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libapm1 libappindicator1 libboost-program-options1.65.1 libcairo-perl libdbusmenu-gtk4 libept1.5.0 libglade2-0 libglib-perl libgnutls-openssl27
      libgoogle-perftools4 libgtk2-perl libindicator7 libntlm0 libpango-perl libpcrecpp0v5 libqt4-help libqt4-scripttools libqt4-test libqtassistantclient4
      librarian0 libtcmalloc-minimal4 libvte-2.91-0 libvte-2.91-common libyaml-cpp0.5v5 mongo-tools net-tools python-appindicator python-cairo python-gconf
      python-glade2 python-gtk2 python-pexpect python-ptyprocess python-qt4 python-sip python-xdg rarian-compat sdparm
      Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
      The following additional packages will be installed:
      mongodb-org-mongos mongodb-org-server mongodb-org-shell mongodb-org-tools
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
      mongodb-org mongodb-org-mongos mongodb-org-server mongodb-org-shell mongodb-org-tools
      0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 63 not upgraded.
      Need to get 0 B/58.2 MB of archives.
      After this operation, 251 MB of additional disk space will be used.
      Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
      debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
      debconf: (Dialog frontend requires a screen at least 13 lines tall and 31 columns wide.)
      debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
      Selecting previously unselected package mongodb-org-shell.
      (Reading database ... 227706 files and directories currently installed.)
      Preparing to unpack .../mongodb-org-shell_4.0.5_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking mongodb-org-shell (4.0.5) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package mongodb-org-server.
      Preparing to unpack .../mongodb-org-server_4.0.5_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking mongodb-org-server (4.0.5) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package mongodb-org-mongos.
      Preparing to unpack .../mongodb-org-mongos_4.0.5_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking mongodb-org-mongos (4.0.5) ...
      Preparing to unpack .../mongodb-org-tools_4.0.5_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking mongodb-org-tools (4.0.5) ...
      dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mongodb-org-tools_4.0.5_amd64.deb (--unpack):
      trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/bsondump', which is also in package mongo-tools 3.6.3-0ubuntu1
      dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Selecting previously unselected package mongodb-org.
      Preparing to unpack .../mongodb-org_4.0.5_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking mongodb-org (4.0.5) ...
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      /var/cache/apt/archives/mongodb-org-tools_4.0.5_amd64.deb
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

hoo@BadWolf:~$ sudo apt autoremove
      Building dependency tree
      You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
      The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      mongodb-org : Depends: mongodb-org-tools but it is not installed
      E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

hoo@BadWolf:~$ apt --fix-broken install
      E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
      E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?
      hoo@BadWolf:~$ sudo apt --fix-broken install
      Building dependency tree
      Correcting dependencies... Done
      The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libapm1 libappindicator1 libboost-program-options1.65.1 libcairo-perl libdbusmenu-gtk4 libept1.5.0 libglade2-0 libglib-perl libgnutls-openssl27
      libgoogle-perftools4 libgtk2-perl libindicator7 libntlm0 libpango-perl libpcrecpp0v5 libqt4-help libqt4-scripttools libqt4-test libqtassistantclient4
      librarian0 libtcmalloc-minimal4 libvte-2.91-0 libvte-2.91-common libyaml-cpp0.5v5 mongo-tools net-tools python-appindicator python-cairo python-gconf
      python-glade2 python-gtk2 python-pexpect python-ptyprocess python-qt4 python-sip python-xdg rarian-compat sdparm
      Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
      mongodb-org-tools
      mongodb-org-tools
      0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 63 not upgraded.
      4 not fully installed or removed.
      Need to get 0 B/23.9 MB of archives.
      After this operation, 113 MB of additional disk space will be used.
      Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
      (Reading database ... 227732 files and directories currently installed.)
      Preparing to unpack .../mongodb-org-tools_4.0.5_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking mongodb-org-tools (4.0.5) ...
      dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mongodb-org-tools_4.0.5_amd64.deb (--unpack):
      trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/bsondump', which is also in package mongo-tools 3.6.3-0ubuntu1
      dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      /var/cache/apt/archives/mongodb-org-tools_4.0.5_amd64.deb
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

<end output>

Comment

I think this file should not exist:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list

It looks like a leftover from a previous install attempt, and conflicts with the 4.0 version. I don't know if it causes the later errors, but it might.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Not a dealbraker nhere, but you have two different mongo repos in your /etc/ap/sources.list.d

This probably will just create these warning message floods, assuming both places have the same info. You can delete one of these.

The above is indicating that Mongo's packaging is putting different files in different sub-packages as compared to Debian/Ubuntu. For those who haven't installed Mongo before, this would not happen, only those who try installing on top of the existing stuff. Your install instructions have a troubleshooting, and has info about what to do in this specific problem.
          https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/refe...dpkg-deb-error
          Basically you need to purge the mongodb-org package, run sudo apt autororemove, find and remove any remaining Ubuntu 's mongo packages, then start over.

I am no IT, database or other big iron sort of person, but personally I would begin with the Ubuntu provided packages to start, and only use the official Mongo provided packages unless there is a compelling reason to have the ultimate latest (and less proven) version. Ubuntu is well used in enterprise settings, and thoer packages should be quote good.

Remove the mongo repos file added to /etc/apt/sources.list
          run: sudo apt update
          Remove all mongodb packages: sudo apt purge mongo*

Start over.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Start over.
            I like this idea. Let's make it happen. I'd like to put all the Ubuntu stuff back and get rid of the 'official' stuff.

I've removed as much as I know how and to avoid further disaster I haven't installed anything new.

`sudo apt list --installed | grep mongo` shows no results

`dpkg --list mong*` shows
            un mongodb <none> <none> (no description available)
            in mongodb-org-tools <none> amd64 (no description available)
            un mongodb-server <none> <none> (no description available)

These files remain. Is it safe to delete them? Or should I just leave them?
            `file:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list`
            `file:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list`

Comment

These files remain. Is it safe to delete them? Or should I just leave them?
              `file:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.0.list`
              `file:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.list`
              You will want to delete them unless you want to use the mongo provided packages over the stock ones. These contain the repo info for them (twice, actually), and will take precedence over the stock repos for Mongo here.

Comment

Thank you claydoh!

Both files are deleted.

How do I restore the Ubuntu version of mongo?

Comment

Just install mongo as you did the very first time.
                  Lemme look.......
                  sudo apt install mongdb

Digital Ocean have good writeups for this sort of thing, as do Linode. Digital Ocean's is more current:
                  https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-18-04

Comment

Didn't work... I got this output. I saw something somewhere else about deleting a lock file and reconfiguring the warp plasma relay?
                    (3rd answer)
                    https://askubuntu.com/questions/2698...ly-file-system

hoo@BadWolf
                    :~$ sudo apt install mongodb

[sudo] password for hoo:
                    Building dependency tree
                    libboost-program-options1.65.1 libgoogle-perftools4 libpcrecpp0v5 libtcmalloc-minimal4 libyaml-cpp0.5v5 mongo-tools mongodb-clients mongodb-server
                    mongodb-server-core
                    libboost-program-options1.65.1 libgoogle-perftools4 libpcrecpp0v5 libtcmalloc-minimal4 libyaml-cpp0.5v5 mongo-tools mongodb mongodb-clients mongodb-server
                    mongodb-server-core
                    0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 63 not upgraded.
                    Need to get 0 B/53.4 MB of archives.
                    After this operation, 217 MB of additional disk space will be used.
                    W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend
                    W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
                    W: chown to _apt:root of directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
                    W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
                    W: chown to _apt:root of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/auxfiles failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
                    W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/auxfiles failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
                    W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
                    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
                    dpkg: error: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
                    W: Problem unlinking the file /var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz - FileFd::Open (30: Read-only file system)
                    W: Could not open file /var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz - open (17: File exists)
                    W: Could not open file '/var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz' - EIPP::OrderInstall (17: File exists)
                    E: Could not create temporary file for /var/lib/apt/extended_states - mkstemp (30: Read-only file system)
                    E: Failed to write temporary StateFile /var/lib/apt/extended_states
                    W: Could not open file '/var/log/apt/term.log' - OpenLog (30: Read-only file system)
                    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
                    W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - pkgDPkgPM::Go (30: Read-only file system)

Comment

0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 63 not upgraded.
                      This is saying you have pending updates to install, this probably should be done first before installing anything new

Didn't work... I got this output. I saw something somewhere else about deleting a lock file
                      No, this seem to be something else, and completely unrelated:

After this operation, 217 MB of additional disk space will be used.
                      W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend
                      W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
                      W: chown to _apt:root of directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
                      W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
                      W: chown to _apt:root of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/auxfiles failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
                      W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/auxfiles failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
                      W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
                      Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
                      dpkg: error: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
                      W: Problem unlinking the file /var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz - FileFd::Open (30: Read-only file system)
                      W: Could not open file /var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz - open (17: File exists)
                      W: Could not open file '/var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz' - EIPP::OrderInstall (17: File exists)
                      E: Could not create temporary file for /var/lib/apt/extended_states - mkstemp (30: Read-only file system)
                      E: Failed to write temporary StateFile /var/lib/apt/extended_states
                      W: Could not open file '/var/log/apt/term.log' - OpenLog (30: Read-only file system)
                      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
                      W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - pkgDPkgPM::Go (30: Read-only file system)
                      The disk is mounted with read-only permissions for some reason.
                      Similar to this:
                      https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2411261

you can try to remount it
                      Code:
                      sudo mount -o remount,rw /
                      But it would be safer to look at the logs etc as this user in the post does, and report anything you find that shows an error before proceeding
                      Also make sure that there isn't a full disk. There usually is an error to this effect, but not always. I doubt this is the case, but is easy to find out.

Comment

Achievement unlocked!

The solution was to delete the lock file at /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Once that was gone the Ubuntu Mongo reinstall went smoothly and now it is working as expected. Running dpkg-reconfigure was unnecessary since mongo was not installed.

Thank you claydoh! Your help was indispensable. Without your assistance I would have had to re-install the OS to get this working.

As a synopsis for anyone else who was naive enough to believe that the official Mongo docs are more correct than the Ubuntu community:

From claydoh's post in #5
                        Remove the mongo repos file added to /etc/apt/sources.list
                        run: sudo apt update
                        Remove all mongodb packages: sudo apt purge mongo*

Run the following command, it should show no results
                        `sudo apt list --installed | grep mongo'

Run the following command, expect something similar to what I show below
                        `dpkg --list mong*`

un mongodb <none> <none> (no description available)
                        in mongodb-org-tools <none> amd64 (no description available)
                        un mongodb-server <none> <none> (no description available)

Check for the presense of a lock file. If it is there, remove or rename it. It will be at:
                        /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Install mongo as normal
                        `sudo apt install mongodb'

After that mongo should just work, no need to start the service.

Comment

Working...
                        X