Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Software update freuency setting is ignored?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software update freuency setting is ignored?

Hi -- I run "kdesudo software-properties-kde" and change the "Check for updates" frequency to "weekly" but I still see updates every day. Is there another place to change this value that I need to alter?

Thanks!
    Last edited by chconnor; Dec 05, 2018, 06:12 PM.

You can also check and update that configuration in Muon -> Configure software sources -> Updates tab. Muon will prompt you for your password.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thank you -- but that menu option pulls up the same thing as software-sources-kde, so it's already at Weekly.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are seeing everyday, unless you have some PPAs or other sources that I don't have, but mine is set to Daily an I maybe see updates once or twice a week at most. Not sure what the answer is ...
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

There are two package managers installed: Discover and Muon.
          Which package message is responsable for the update messages
          I thought this was Discover.

Comment

Originally posted by chconnor View Post
            Hi -- I run "kdesudo software-properties-kde" and change the "Check for updates" frequency to "weekly" but I still see updates every day. Is there another place to change this value that I need to alter?
            Software properties setting is a holdover from the old apt based update mechanism. The icon/updater you see uses package kit and frequencies for checking updates are coded in, without user facing options. :/

Both those issue maybe worth reporting as a bug or feature request, if not already done.

i.e. setting could maybe be hidden in software-properties if running a KDE session, and discover for options for that.

Originally posted by v7peer View Post
            I thought this was Discover.
            It is. The updater is built and installed in the Discover source/package.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
              Software properties setting is a holdover from the old apt based update mechanism. The icon/updater you see uses package kit and frequencies for checking updates are coded in, without user facing options. :/
              Wow, really surprising to hear that. Thanks for the info. So if I disable updates entirely (in software-properties-kde) will that setting apply? There must be a way to make PackageKit chill out without removing it?

Both those issue maybe worth reporting as a bug or feature request, if not already done.
              I can't seem to find an existing bug in the PackageKit bug list.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to make a new bug, either. After making a freedesktop.org account, and finding no link for the package kit project available here or in the gitlab area, I hacked a link following the pattern I saw: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_b...uct=PackageKit but it says "Sorry, entering a bug into the product PackageKit has been disabled."

It's seems really, really weird that PackageKit would have a hard-coded update interval. E.g. is there no cron job or config file or such that one can alter?

And is there nowhere to file bugs?

I feel like I must be missing a lot, here. :-)

Comment

Sorry. I know what I meant, but was maybe not clear. I meant coded into the software invoking packagekit, not packagekit itself. A bug against packagekit would be wrong.

The updater tray icon etc is part of plasma discover.

Also see: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=156081
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks. Bug filed here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=401810

Strangely, though, I'm having the exact same issue on Lubuntu 18.04. Maybe it's coincidentally the same kind of bug; i.e. the graphical widget is only partially-implemented.

Comment

Hmmmm. I'm looking at the code, and there might be a bug. Seems it may actually try to read and respect that software-properties setting, but is getting it wrong.

I'll message the discover developer to check.

Comment

The plot thickens! Thanks!

Comment

Hey, looks like the dev has already fixed it, wow!

https://phabricator.kde.org/D17375

Comment

Working...
                        X