This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Desktop Wallpaper

O.K., I'm stumped. By itself, that is not newsworthy; it's commonplace. But here's what's going on. I change my desktop wallpaper with each season. I have a collection of wallpapers that I've used for years. Last evening, I went into Desktop Settings, found the fall wallpaper, and tried to use it. But as I mouse over the image, in the upper right-hand corner pops up the "forbidden" sign--the white circle with the red circle and a slash within it. I cannot figure out why it's doing that or what I need to do to stop it.

Here's what I have done so far:
    1. Run apt-get update
    2. Run apt-get dist-upgrade
    3. Rebooted
    4. Tried opening the wallpaper I want to use with Gwenview, and it comes up just fine.

What should I try next? Thanks.

Originally posted by Don View Post
    ...But as I mouse over the image, in the upper right-hand corner pops up the "forbidden" sign--the white circle with the red circle and a slash within it. I cannot figure out why it's doing that or what I need to do to stop it...
    Older plasma has on the top right the remove wallpaper button:

Current plasma (5.13) has ,low right, the dustbin icon for the remove wallpaper:

The remove wallpaper action is shown when the user has right to remove the image. You could edit the image permissions to hide the remove button - https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...wned-directory
    Last edited by Rog131; Sep 24, 2018, 12:48 AM.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks, Rog, but I'm not trying to remove the old wallpaper; I'm trying to use it on my desktop. But whenever I click on it, the screen goes black except for the panel and the desktop icons. The really odd thing is that my current wallpaper also shows up with the remove-wallpaper icon, but if I click on that from my black screen, the current wallpaper shows up again on the desktop. Why is it that some wallpapers with the remove icon will show up, and some won't?

Comment

instead of clicking the wallpaper try clicking the "open" button and navigate to where the wallpaper is and select it .

maybe the path has changed .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi, Vinny,
          I had tried your suggestion straightaway, but it still results in the black screen. (There was no path change.) OTOH, with the wallpaper that continues to work, I can banish the black screen either the image that shows up in "Desktop Settings" itself or by using Open and navigating to where the files are. Weird, huh?

Comment

yes strange ,,,,,,I can not replicate the behavior hear .

when I click on a different wallpaper in the settings window it just turns blue and the current wallpaper stays the same until I click "apply" and then it changes to the new one .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have a collection of wallpapers that I've used for years.
              So it might be a case of creeping incompatibility - Plasma, QT, or KDE. If it is an incompatibility issue, then about the only thing you can do is try to find a newer version of a particular wallpaper. I can't say that this is the case, because I've had some wallpapers that have lasted for years - or until I get tired of the same old view

Pick one and see if there is a newer version available - no guarantees, though.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
              X