X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Settings] Cursor disappears when typing in konsole or kate

Hi,
    When typing in konsole or kate the cursor disappears. This is an annoyance that interferes with my work as I have to move the mouse and look for the cursor across multiple screens to locate it.
    I have seen solutions that say delete the program "unclutter" but this is not installed on my system.
    I cannot find any relevant sections in the settings or config files for the applications.
    I cannot find any relevant settings in the system settings.

How can I make the cursor stay on all the time.

Thanks.

Kubuntu 18.04
    plasmashell 5.9.4
    uname: Linux 17-5770 4.15.0-34-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 27 15:21:48 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Qt: 5.9.5
    KDE Frameworks: 5.44.0
    kf5-config: 1.0
    computer
    description: Dell 17-5000 laptop
    product: Inspiron 5770 (0811)
    vendor: Dell Inc.
    RAM: 24GiB

Well, I'm definitely of the opposite opinion.

It's always irritated me how the mouse cursor gets in the road when typing. I have been quite pleased that the mouse cursor disappears in Kate and the Konsole and I wished it would do that everywhere.

Just the other day I decided to do something about that. I tried unclutter, but it no longer works it seems. I then found xbanish which is doing exactly what I wanted. The mouse cursor is visible until you start typing something whereupon it disappears and stays hidden until you want it back again by just moving the mouse or clicking on one of the mouse buttons.

The only hassle with xbanish is that you have to compile the source code. I generally try and avoid compiling source these days but sometimes it's necessary to get what you want.

Sorry I can't help you with your problem. I have no idea how you could turn off the current Kate/Konsole behaviour.
    Last edited by Rod J; Sep 14, 2018, 06:37 AM. Reason: typo
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

well as far as I can tell from looking for an answer to this , is that it's a feature hard coded into the Konsole with no setting to turn it on or off , so I will assume it's the same with kate .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by emper View Post
        When typing in konsole or kate the cursor disappears..
        Two work-arounds:
        • Use vim; it has an option for this. (You could even use vim in terminal mode instead of konsole.)
        • Park the cursor just outside the konsole or kate window while you type.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X