This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu not shutting down after upgrade to 18.04

After upgrading to 18.04 TLS from 16.04 TLS the shutdown halts before the computer is really shut down. The same happens with the command shutdown -h now. All contact with input devices is lost, but the screen stays on and there is no further disc activity.

Hubert

e.c. Field reports that after updating to 18.04 his Dolphin "Find" command doesn't work. Now you report this.

IMO, updating from a prior release generally works only when your system is vanilla. That is, you didn't do anything fancy during the install of the older version, you haven't added any PPA's, installed deb packages from sources external to the repository, or created/destroyed links, etc.

Experience has taught us over and over that the best way to install a new release is to backup your data and then do a FRESH install. For both you and e.c. Field that is what I recommend. Those that do fresh installs have fewer cavities.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I would agree with GreyGeek on this, download/buy your next Linux version and burn it to a DVD or USB drive. Then, backup all your important stuff ( -> DVD, USB drive, etc.). Then, and only then, do a fresh install.

In my opinion the day when it was possible to 100% successfully upgrade a distro, is gone. Not to say that some distro upgrades have worked well, but they are the exception. Regardless, backup your stuff first and always ...
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        In my opinion the day when it was possible to 100% successfully upgrade a distro, is gone. Not to say that some distro upgrades have worked well, but they are the exception. Regardless, backup your stuff first and always ...
        Not very encouraging! One can backup his data, but not the applications and that's the big work for restoring.

I suppose that somewhere a logging is kept of the logout procedure. Where can I find it and how to read it?
        Last edited by Huibc; Aug 19, 2018, 02:45 AM.

Comment

You could try this:
          sudo apt update
          sudo apt install --reinstall plasma-desktop
          sudo apt install --reinstall plasma-desktop-data
          sudo apt install --reinstall plasma-look-and-feel-org-kde-breezedark-desktop

but I'm not guaranteeing anything will be fixed doing that.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

One could also try creating a new user, logging in with that user and seeing if the problem persists. If it doesn't; the PC properly shuts down as expected; then there is a configuration file problem with your user account.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 19, 2018, 03:15 PM.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but I will be away from home for the next 2 weeks. So it will take some time before I can try it out.

Comment

Why are we so quick to blame it on the upgrade? There are about 3707460.6 search result hits on the topic, and it is , at least to my eyes, not anywhere near an upgrade specific issue.
                Unfortunately, there is no one fix, but may lean toward a video card/driver/optimus problem as a more common possible culprit.

Comment

Newbie here, but in process of doing some updates this morning, mine got hung up at the blinking "kubuntu" after entering reboot from Konsole while I still had Chrome open. I found that "sudo reboot" is perhaps better than just "reboot" as there is a chance some process is running in the background that could cause an issue.

It it possible you had something open when you shutdown that might have had an inhibiting process running?

Comment

Originally posted by Huibc View Post
                    Not very encouraging! One can backup his data, but not the applications and that's the big work for restoring.

I suppose that somewhere a logging is kept of the logout procedure. Where can I find it and how to read it?
                    IF you use AppImages of your applications you can save them with your data.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      AppImages
                      sounds interesting...what are AppImages?
                      ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
                      http://www.hybridelephant.com/
                      ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Comment

Originally posted by Huibc View Post
                        The kernel log may give you some idea what's going on. There will be lots of unrelated stuff but maybe the entries towards the very end provide some hints as to what blocked the shutdown.
                        Restart your machine, open a terminal window and type:
                        Code:
                        nano /var/log/kern.log
                        Now scroll all the way down until you find the time of your shutdown attempt. Anything which looks like an error there? What's the last entry before the restart?

Comment

Working...
                        X