This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove KDE Wallet

I forgot how much I hated this thing, how can I remove it without losing my desktop? It nagged me to set for wifi, now everytime I boot up it wants a password. I set wifi to enable all users but the stupid thing still pops up each boot.
    Edit: I just changed the password to empty. kwallet seems far more trouble than it's worth
    Last edited by KBD47; May 28, 2018, 08:13 AM.

That's what I did.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have been using KDE for years and your right. KWallet is just a pain in the behind. I have opened KWallet and just disabled it all together. There is a check box when it first opens, just uncheck the box and it will be completely disabled. KWallet is just a redundant application that only causes more problems then it helps out. Many people have asked to not have it installed with the KDE desktop.

Comment

I hear a lot of people say that about KWallet but I can say I never had issues out of it.

Comment

For years i did NOT like Kwallet.

But, this last few years I have come to embrace it because I have SO MANY interactions through Kubuntu to the external "scary Windblows stuff" I mean...I now have no less than six...SIX...6 ... Windblows G-mail etc.e-mail things.

To put this into perspective, at FIVE places... I have to enter a password each time i get onto a Windblows machine... aaaarrrggghhhh

so...lets multiply that out... 6 password typings, and each different, that I have to remember...

Because of my volunteering with Kali this has come into sharp focus... each of these places has a different "change the password" policy...

And I have commented thereupon in another thread in this august forum.

So...at the end of a week I have spent...what fifteen minutes... entering passwords and "on average" changing passwords and sometimes...I forget ...but fortunately I have them written on a piece of paper that is rolled into what SEEMS to be a "ink" pen which will self destruct if it is not opende by me looking straight into the barrel of the pen...

but we will let that pass.

ahhh the relief...

all of those passwords are in their respective "interactions with the world" like e-mail things here in my Kubu...and I only have to enter the password once...

Passwords are a FACT of LIFE since the romantic days of Steven Levy's Hackers when all of those folks who say that they are MUCH smarter than you and I... that ...NOBODY would be so EVIL as to...use software for malicious purposes!!

Now...WHAT IS THE CHANCE...if YOUR ...DOOF HOME KUBUNTU COMPUTER Being "hacked" by a woman sneaking into your place and trying to find your...

Gweled scores...

ummmm not much...

But...there are "higher purposes"...

everybody just needs to "be aware"...

and if it takes entering ONE password to wrangle many things then probably that is a good thing...

Again...if you...YOU...do not interact with all the "stuff" that the old woodsmoker interacts with...do YOU..."NEED" a password controller when you just get on your machine to make a paper thing about birthdays to hang up on the fridge for the grandkids...ummm NO...absolutely NO...but...

Kwallet really does serve a purpose for certain people...

And ...to that end...the replies about how to "disable" are a GOOD thing;...

but...might the old woodsmoker suggest to the esteemed members of this forum that maybe they discuss SERIOUSLYL with kiddos...and grandkiddos...

a) the Raison d'être of passwords
          b) the LOGIC of how to create passwords that are WORKABLE and MEMORABLE...
          c) the FUTURE of what may replace passwords..

woodjustathoughoflittleworthsmoke

VOLUNTEERS are needed
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! I set up a laptop that is mostly used for printing and installed Kubuntu on it for my wife to use. Unlike all of my other computers I do not password protect it so she can access it easily, so I didn't want her to fool with kwallet to just print a few docs. The kwallet for wifi password and Chrome are the biggest pain. Wifi kwallet password requirement should be an opt-in toggle for someone needing that level of protection, and not a default. It is sort of a needless irritation that should be off by default IMO. Anyway, glad I got it figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by KBD47 View Post
              Unlike all of my other computers I do not password protect it
              Thanks for mentioning that. I was wondering why I haven't had issues with kwallet. I think it's the same with gnome-keyring.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
              X