X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SkypeforLinux Pooched on Update

Hi everyone, new poster here

The latest update (Jan 8th 2018) of Skype for Linux (8.13.0.2 / 8.11.0.4) is pooched on my 64 bit Kubuntu 14.04. The software worked fine before the latest update on Jan 8, 2018. I use Skype for audio-only calls - I have no webcam on my laptop.

The application loads but all I can see is the border of the window and the menu - the center of the application window is all white. On first load I can sometimes see the proper application screen for a second before the center of the application window turns white again. Nothing appears when I select a menu item.

I don't have the software set to autostart during the boot process. Minimize, Maximize, Restore, window resize and system reboot to no avail. Searching the web I see that other people have have similar issues but I can't find a case that is solved. I tried posting on the Skype forum but the moderator was kind enough to inform me Kubuntu wasn't supported (aka please go fly a kite in a thunderstorm ).

I still have the deb file of the version I installed last fall and I was thinking I would try uninstall and reinstall the old working version - unfortunately I installed SkyeforLinux using a deb file I downloaded directly from Skype.com late last fall. Because I installed the deb file and didn't use the the Muon package manager I don't even know how to find the package name nor "the best" syntax to get the software uninstalled in terminal. (It was the first software I tried to install outside the Muon package manager I clearly have some learning to do in this area).

I ran the command: dpkg -S skype
    and I can see a directory called skypeforlinux in /usr/share/ but I'm not 100% certain that means its the proper name for the package.

My questions:
    Has anyone seen a fix for this issue?
    Is uninstall and reinstall worth a shot?
    Can someone explain how to find the package name and/or a good syntax for removing it from the system?

Many thanks,
    Kevin

I have the same problem with Skype. I'm using Kubuntu 14.04. I got Skype from the .deb. file, as you did (something like Skype for Linux dot deb--it's at the Skype site). Not sure yet what I will do, probably re-install from that or another deb file. Sorry, I'm on the run at the moment and I only have time to post this quickly to let you know that I'm seeing it, too.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

As I said previously - the deb file I downloaded in November worked well on 64 bit Kubuntu 14.04. I figure if I can get the uninstall done cleanly I will reinstall that older deb file and turn off the skype repository so that I no longer receive skype updates.

In the meantime I have found the weblink for the skype repository including the older versions: https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/skypeforlinux/

When I installed Skype last fall QApt opened when I clicked on the SkypeforLinux deb file. I don't really understand QApt - it seems like it's a portable package manager - I don't find it installed anywhere on my system. Once you install an application using this kind of package manager how do you get it out?

Comment

I don't think I'll be very helpful here, but I can tell you what I did (and it seems to have worked):

I use Muon. So, I checked Muon, and it had skypeforlinux listed as Installed. I marked it for Purge, and purged it that way. I got the NEWER skype for linux version downloaded, installed it, but it didn't work (as you have noted above in your OP). So, again, in Muon, I purged it. I still have the previous version I was using (8.11.0.4), so I installed it (by simply double-clicking), it installed, I set it up, tested it, closed it, opened it, tested again, and it appears that everything is OK now.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi yourself to consider the ONSLAUGHT of..."non state" actors..previously thought of as..."ANARCHISTS"...

Previously thought of as "havaing fun protesting"...

woodasks that you LOOK at it smoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hoy ...

and that relates to resolving the OP's concern in what way.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thanks Qqmike,
              I think I may have answered a few of my own questions:

Package Name of the Deb Installed
              How to find the package name used in the system: dpkg-query -l
              as per: https://wiki.debian.org/ListInstalledPackages
              Result -> package name is: skypeforlinux

Command to Remove Package
              In terminal: sudo dpkg --purge skypeforlinux
              Result -> skypeforlinux is gone but the hidden config files in /home/username/.config/skypeforlinux remained
              Manually moved the hidden skypeforlinux config directory out of /home/username/.config/

I tried reverting back to: skypeforlinux_8.12.76.7_amd64.deb from the skype repo (https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/skypeforlinux/)
              Result: doesn't run so back to the drawing board

Will try 8.11.0.4 next, i guess anarchy rules...

-------

Later that evening...
              Installed: skypeforlinux_8.11.0.4_amd64.deb from skype repo (https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/skypeforlinux/)
              Result: Works like a champ

Next Step -> Disable Skype from being updated by the Muon Update Manager
              Open Muon Discover -> Sources tab -> Configure Software Sources
              Uncheck the Skype Repo
              The Kubuntu Update Manager updating SkypeforLinux was what got me into this pickle in the first place.
              Last edited by Kevin2000; Jan 11, 2018, 10:24 PM.

Comment

LOL its all in the perspective...sometimes a flag inspires one...and other times...the code gets deprecated! lol

woodlotsafunsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  I don't think I'll be very helpful here, but I can tell you what I did (and it seems to have worked):

I use Muon. So, I checked Muon, and it had skypeforlinux listed as Installed. I marked it for Purge, and purged it that way. I got the NEWER skype for linux version downloaded, installed it, but it didn't work (as you have noted above in your OP). So, again, in Muon, I purged it. I still have the previous version I was using (8.11.0.4), so I installed it (by simply double-clicking), it installed, I set it up, tested it, closed it, opened it, tested again, and it appears that everything is OK now.
                  I haven't used Skype in years. But, out of curiosity, I decided to give the new version a spin. I DL'd it from the website, dpkg to install it and it seemed to work OK. The test call played back OK and I could see my mug in the video windows. But, I never made a call so I don't know if it really worked. Like you, I used Muon to uninstall it.

I would never use it for actual calls because MS has installed "Legal Intercept" on their Linux servers which are used to support the calls (unlike the old version which stole your CPU and IP bandwidth to do the same).

I installed Mumble and Discord for P2P communications.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the tip GreyGeek - can I use either of these to place calls to landlines?

Comment

Rather than uninstall the repository for Skype you can easily lock or pin a package in Muon to prevent updates. I did this yesterday when I heard (on another forum) that the latest version of Skype was problematic.

In Muon, find the package then right mouse click on it and choose "Lock package". Done.

I do this quite often for packages I don't want to update for various reasons. Later, when they have fixed the bug, it is a simple matter to unlock the package and then the update will be available.
                      Last edited by Rod J; Jan 12, 2018, 12:46 AM.
                      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I just logged on, read your post Rod J, a notification pops up saying a 69 MB update is available for skypeforlinux! Well, we'll see what this is about!

Comment

Oh-oh, I took that update -- looks like it doesn't fix the OP problem here ... ? Darn. Thankfully, I've kept the old deb file. Back to square 1.

Comment

Strange morning here. Shortly after accepting (from Muon) the update for skypeforlinux (mentioned in #12 and #13 above), Muon offered another such update, I took it, it also failed to produce a workable Skype (as per the OP description). Fyi.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin2000 View Post
                              Thanks for the tip GreyGeek - can I use either of these to place calls to landlines?
                              Not with Mumble. I haven't investigated Discord that much so I don't know if it supports PC-->phone calls.
                              However, I did use Ekiga, which features all forms of SIP communications.
                              http://www.ekiga.org/
                              For certain calls there is a charge. IIRC, calls within a country are free but calls to foreign countries have varying rates, from 1 penny/min to more. I still have about $10 in my Ekiga account but since I stopped using Ekiga when I got a cell phone with unlimited calls.

When I had a Google account I also had Google-Talk, which also allowed PC-->phone calls around the world. Rates the same as Eikga. But, when Google started doing evil I deleted my account (after I created and downloaded an mbox of all my calls and their list of my logins and passwords). Now I use StartPage or DuckDuckGo for searches. Or DogPile or one of several European search engines.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 12, 2018, 11:33 AM.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X