Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like the new blue login screen in Zesty?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you like the new blue login screen in Zesty?

Click image for larger version

Name:	plasma-5.8-boot.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	649188

Zesty is shipping with Plasma 5.9 which comes with a very basic blue login screen, what are your thoughts on it?

I don't mind it one way or the other. There are those among us (not meaning just here in KFN) who place way to much importance on what the background of the greeter screen and deskop 'look like', and actually consider the OS of poorer quality because of that singular concern.

"You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Developers have to make subjective choices on the asthetic aspects of the OS, and they simply will not be able to 'please all of the people' when doing so.

Kubuntu Linux is highly configurable. Don't like something? Change it. Sometimes making the change 'you want' requires a bit of knowledge and skill. However, if you don't have one or the other (or both), that's what we (KFN) are here for. In almost every user case problem presented here, a solution was found.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Kbuntu Linux is highly configurable. Don't like something? Change it.
        Well said!! Therefore I would like to appeal to the more artistic among us to contribute your ideas and work for the rest of the community to enjoy.

The KDE Store has the potential to be so much more, and I for one would love to see more Kubuntu branded contributions!

https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/101/

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post

Zesty is shipping with Plasma 5.9 which comes with a very basic blue login screen, what are your thoughts on it?
          Earlier - KDE Forums: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...137502#p370239

The Breeze 5.9 SDDM greeter is supporting the image background and also supporting user configurable background color in the SDDM theme: https://phabricator.kde.org/D2983

The kcm-sddm module doesn't have the color picker. The user can add to the /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze/theme.conf.user the background color and the background type to the configuration file - example:

Code:
          [General]
          type=color
          color=darkgreen
          Colors are the Qt supported colors: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-color.html
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

yes I do like the blue ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

but their is a lot you can do with it

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Why now have the Kubuntu logo in the Kubuntu version? Seems easy enough. It's all about the BRANDING, after all.
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

https://store.kde.org/p/1174674/
                This in particular is wonderful. Allows you to have slideshow, video, playlist, etc on login screen with a near identical login style. I have tried it and customized it, and it's very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Oderus View Post
                  https://store.kde.org/p/1174674/
                  This in particular is wonderful. Allows you to have slideshow, video, playlist, etc on login screen with a near identical login style. I have tried it and customized it, and it's very nice.
                  +1 ,,,I am using that as well ATM Rog has a lot of good stuff and info ,,,,,,,

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                    Why now have the Kubuntu logo in the Kubuntu version? Seems easy enough. It's all about the BRANDING, after all.
                    Kubuntu logo where?

I do agree though. At least to the extent that it would be nice to bring some unobtrusive branding back into kubuntu.

Don't necessarily want to diverge too far from the default Plasma appearance IMO, but a few touches here and there to make it visibly kubuntu would be nice.
                    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I really liked the old colour scheme for the login and how it logged in. This black background with the massive, horrible three dots and an arrow logo, not keen on it at all. I do not like the stupid logo as a launcher button either. The K in the cog one is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                        I really liked the old colour scheme for the login and how it logged in. This black background with the massive, horrible three dots and an arrow logo, not keen on it at all. I do not like the stupid logo as a launcher button either. The K in the cog one is much better.
                        I Agree completely. Dislike the black splash screen. Not sure how to theme that part yet. You can however change the menu icon easy enough.

Comment

Generic plasma 5 image splash

Earlier Kubuntu Forums: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post398821

'The splash screens can be added by adding a 'Look and Feel' theme with only the splash part'

KDE System Settings > Workspace Theme > Look And Feel > Get New Looks...

KDE System Settings > Workspace Theme > Splash Screen ...
                          Last edited by Rog131; Apr 26, 2017, 01:06 PM.
                          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                            I actually quite like it, though I am admittedly a fan of more minimalist stuff like this.

However, is also a bit Windows 'boot screenish' which is, ummmmmm...

As said, I would like to hopefully, with feedback from the community, do a bit of a re-work of our look and feel for kubuntu. From boot, sddm, to spash, to desktop tweaks. So all feedback like this is great.
                            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

What I like is that if I don't like something I can change it to something I do like. Ya gotta love Linux, especially Neon!
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X