X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 16.04 does not start up to GUI

Hi there,
    I've recently upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04. So not a completely new, but still very much a Kubuntu-amateur...
    After upgrading to 16.04, I'm experiencing a problem that so far Google could not solve for me. Problem is that the boot sequence stops at a login commandline. Upon starting up, I get the Kubuntu-logo in the center and after some time I get a terminal screen with login. After logging in I have to enter "startx" for the GUI to finally start.

How can I bypass all of this and have the boot sequence continue all the way to show my desktop?

By chance, in 14.04, did you have a customized Login Greeter Theme?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the super fast response! But no, as far as I remember I did not have such a theme.
      Is it always suppose to start in a command line screen?

Perhaps I should note that at the login in screen it says "Ubuntu 16.04 LTS" (So not Kubuntu). Only after loging in and typing startx the Kubuntu interface starts.

Hope youŕe able to help me. Thanks in advance!

Comment

If you are already on your Desktop, open a konsole and type: sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm and select sddm. Log out/reboot and see if things are as they should be.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

YES!!! Succes! Although after inputting the sudo command and password, nothing happened. I wasn able to "select" sddm, so I just typed it and restarted with succes!
          That solves one of my two issues after updating. The other one concerns the KDE migration and wallet, but I will create a new thread for that.

Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X