X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wifi package completely broken

Hi
    Well, this is a first!

The wireless package is just ... broken.

the wireless drivers are the normal broadcom.

I do not have any critical data on the machine.

Because the tower is on the second floor I will have to unplug everthing and haul the box down to the first floor, unhook everything on the t.v. and internet, etc. and rehook it there to get cable internet........IF..........I can get cable internet on the tower.

So...........the question is............

Wiley is perking along very nicely and does everything I need, with the exception of KDE connect.

KDE connect works just marvy in Netrunner and Netrunner rolling...

Do I really want to go to all the trouble to haul equipment and plug and unplug etc and then still have to rebuild the wireless package somehow...

sudo dpkg –configure -a

Or....do I just want to sit the hard drive aside and install a fresh Xenius?

critical question being...........does it have a nice, freshly baked, working KDEconnect?

And a TOTALLY SECONDARY question.... can I get a transparent folder view widget if I change to the oxygen theme?

any comments will save a LOT of work for the old woodsmoker one way or the 'tother, so thanks ahead of time!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Is KDEconnect the only application affected? Can you connect to the Internet with your browser and/or ping domains from the CLI?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I apologize for not being explicite and was instead my normal smoky self.

KDEconnect stopped working some time ago.

it is the WiFi package that is now completely broken.

So question is, should I fiddle with something that does not have KDEconnect working anyway...

Or just install Xenius?

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Your wifi should just work. Have you checked System Systings > Driver Manager to see if the proprietary driver needs to be identified/activated?

Comment

Yep it is all there but just stopped.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

again to be more explicit.
            The menu system is completely empty.
            nothing in the menu box and red xs on top.
            Clicking it get a very generic and plain listing of "available" wireless, it is an artifact of the cache, and when woodsmoke is clicked nada.
            the whole package is broken.
            woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

If it were 'I', I would reinstall kde-baseapps.

Comment

Ok that entails hauling the think downstairs, etc. etc. easily half an hour or 45 minutes work.

Will kde baseapps bring back KDE connect?

woody
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

KDE connect is not in KDE baseapps.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...-baseapps.html

So, I think that I'll set the hard drive aside and install the latest and greatest Kubu on another and hope that KDEconnect will work and that ............maybe.........as Father MulCahy usedta say....."a little prayer action here", that I can change the theme to "oxygen" and have transparent folder widgets!

Hey thanks old friend for the comments!

woodappreciativesmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                    Ok that entails hauling the think downstairs, etc. etc. easily half an hour or 45 minutes work.

Will kde baseapps bring back KDE connect?

woody
                    Hmm. Don't know, and looking at the package description:

"This package provides core applications for the KDE 4 desktop."

However, even on my 16.04 installation (Plasma), that package (meta package) is identified as installed. So, maybe the better package to reinstall would be kubuntu-full or kubuntu-desktop.

But, if you want to install 16.04, I say 'go for it', with the caveat that you do a complete *new* installation (not saving your existing /home directory/partition). Bearing in mind, that doing so, you will loose any customization you have done.

I've been running 16.04 since it was Alpha, and I haven't had any issues with it. But, as the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."

Comment

24 hrs ago I installed 16.04 and regretfully KDEConnect is not fully working.
                      I get a connection but am not able to access my Android devices beyond All Files and Camera Pictures.

Same on the Nexus 4 and 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        24 hrs ago I installed 16.04 and regretfully KDEConnect is not fully working.
                        I get a connection but am not able to access my Android devices beyond All Files and Camera Pictures.

Same on the Nexus 4 and 7.
                        have you tried unpairing and re-pairing your devices? I have no problems with my 3 devices, with android versions 4.something to 5.1.1 and 6.0. All connect to my old laptop (16.04) as well as my less-old one (16.04), and work as expected. Sometimes I have had to re-pair b ut usually only after either the android app or the desktop package is upgraded.

Comment

Ok, nevermind. It worked the other day, I use the browse feature regularly so i think it must be a recent borkage. Sharing still works both ways, though. Setting up on my 15.10 HTPC works for remote browsing
                          Last edited by claydoh; Feb 25, 2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Woody, have you tried to set up WIFI manually, through the CLI?

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post384140

Comment

Tenuis I'll try that.

thanks!

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X