This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widgets crashes unified display

I finally got the unified display to show the desktop icons, as mentioned in another post. But installing widgets causes crashes, and after a crash the icons are in a row on the top, rather than in my own order. Can anyone suggest how to control the desktop widgets and avoid them causing crashes?

In this situation I prefer my previous setup, only showing the primary Monitor, and only using the unified display for Monitor and TV, when I really need it (for HTPC) - probably using a script like suggested by ronw. Not ideal but ...

Had similar experiences with Fedora 22 and Plasma 5 - will give up for now trying to use Plasma 5 for unified display.

Comment

Have tried to understand what is happening. My starting point is a not unified display with my monitor DVI-0 as primary display and TV DVI-1 as secondary display. Going into System Settings/Display and Monitor - making sure the Monitor coordinates are 0,0 - and moving the TV to cover the Monitor - also making sure 0.0 coordinates. Pressing Unifiy display and then Apply updates the coordinates in ~/.local/share/kscreen/29a188dec574e6c7694496c85b854517 So far so good!

But when exiting settings/display one gets asked to confirm the changes - this updates ~/config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc from a 10-page text file (including coordinates for desktop and panel Widgets and Icons ) to just over 1-page file (with just the panel Widgets and Icons). When logging out and in again the display on the Monitor and the PC are identical - showing the panel Icons and Widgets, but nothing on the desktop. Tried to copy back the previous 10-page file and relogin, but to no avail.

The above happens with the layout setting "Desktop" in the "thingy". Changing that to "Folder" and applying Unify settings and Apply as above, updates the coordinates in~/.local/share/kscreen/29a188dec574e6c7694496c85b854517. Fine! But one is not asked to confirm the changes when exiting settings/display, and thus the ~/config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc is not changed. When logging out and in again the display on the Monitor and the PC are identical - showing the panel Icons and Widgets as before, but on the desktop there are no Widgets and the Icons are in ordered rows on the top of the desktop rather than i my previous arrangement. I can rearrange the existing Icons but cannot ad new Icons. When trying to add Widgets, they either disappear straight away, or if I manage to move them into the desktop, they cause crash.

Comment

The problem disappeared with a fresh install of 15.10

Comment

Spoke too soon - problem returned after second or third reboot.

Comment

Working...
          X