This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to access encrypted USB drive, Kubuntu 14.04

Just performed a fresh install of Kubuntu 14.04.2 (unencrypted). I had a previous LUKS w/LVM encrypted install of Ubuntu and need to access my files.

I can access the encrypted partiion of my old hard drive with the liveUSB stick but I can't move anything over to my new install.

When I went ahead and did a full install I've no longer been able to access the encrypted partition. I click to access the files in the file explorer, enter my password and get the following error:

An error occurred while accessing '465.5 GiB Encrypted Drive', the system responded: An unspecified error has occurred: No such interface 'org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Filesystem' on object at path /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/dm_2d0

I'm in over my head a little here and not sure where to start. Any help is surely appreciated. I just want to get my files off and retire the old drive.

I'm looking to try one of several things:

1. Ideally, clear up this error and be able to access and move my files graphically in my Kubuntu install
    1. Move the files around using the liveUSB but need to know how to change permissions around so it's possible.
    2. Do it in the command line.

I'm not coming up with much on the googles.
    TIA
    Last edited by isurveilu; May 19, 2015, 10:26 PM. Reason: elaboration

Bump. Still have this problem

Comment

No answers from me (as I haven't used LUKS), only questions.

How did you enable access from the live USB? What commands or gui tools?
      And what stopped you from moving files to the new install? That's the part that puzzles me.

With the new install, you're probably missing a device block mapper driver. Of some kind.

The suggestions here Mount encrypted volumes from command line? - Ask Ubuntu might help.
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

With both the live USB and the new install I'd plug the drive into a USB port, wait for the notification in the system tray that a device was plugged in and ask me what I want to do with it. I'd then click on the option to open to view the files in the file explorer and enter my passphrase at the prompt. Same procedure in both the live USB and the new install. In the live USB I can see the files but can't move them. I imagine it has something to do with permissions? I really don't know.

I'm going to try the suggestions in the link you gave me and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Comment

It could help to know more about how much you can "see" the files. Obviously you can get a listing of them. But can you open them, ie read the contents? If you could do that you should be able to copy them.

For example, mount the drive, pick a text file that's on your encrypted drive - say it's path/file.txt - and post the output of
          Code:
          ls -l path/file.txt
          cat path/file.txt
          eta - also
          Code:
          mount
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Ok, I solved my problem. I honestly don't know where the error came from. I followed the suggestions in
            http://askubuntu.com/questions/63594...m-command-line

and was able to get it to mount and to access it.

The exact procedure I used was (after trying a few things)

Code:
            sudo apt-get install lvm2
            sudo lvscansudo vgchange -ay
            sudo mount /dev/mapper/my_encrypted_volume /media/my_device
            Then I had to:

Code:
            udisksctl unlock -b /dev/sdb5
            udisksctl mount -b /dev/mapper/ubuntu-root
            The same error in the original post still comes up in the file manager and notification tray, but the drive itself appears in the lower left
            hand corner and I can access it.

Seems like an awful lot to have to do to mount an encrypted volume and I've never had to do this much in other distros. Just glad it worked out.
            For some reason though my /home directory is wiped out. I want to run fsck on it but if I understand right I can't run it on a mounted volume and
            an encrypted partition has to be mounted to access it. I could be wrong but that's how it looks.

Comment

Working...
            X