Thread: RECOMMENDED system requirements Kubuntu 14.04

1. Back To Top    #1
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 8th 2020
    Local Time
    09:32 PM

RECOMMENDED system requirements Kubuntu 14.04

I am not sure if my ultrabook meets the recommended system requirements for Kubuntu 14.04. I want to make full use of the desktop effects. I plan to replace Windows 8 with Kubuntu.

Medion Akoya Ultra book S4216 (MD 98487)

Processor: Intel Core I3-3217U quad core, 64 bit
    1.80 Ghz, 3 MB smart cache, hyper-threading
    RAM: 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM
    SSD: 32 GB
    Hard Drive: 1 TB
    Video Card: integrated graphical functions (on the CPU). Shared memory

Can I run Kubuntu 14.04 smoothly with the fancy desktop effects on this configuration?

Also, I am concerned about the amount of space I have on the SSD (where the OS will be installed as well as other applications). According to the Kubuntu page on Wikepedia, the recommended space on the HD/SSD is 10 GB. However when I consulted the Kubuntu Handbook on the "org" site I came across this, "The root ( / ) directory needs at least 25 GBs of space". I only have 32 GB on the SSD, not very much left over.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 8th 2020
    Local Time
    04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gorivera View Post
    I am not sure if my ultrabook meets the recommended system requirements for Kubuntu 14.04. I want to make full use of the desktop effects. I plan to replace Windows 8 with Kubuntu.
    In terms of performance, I'd expect pretty much anything that runs Windows 8 to be adequate for Kubuntu. FWIW, I'm running Kubuntu 14.04 64-bit with a bunch of desktop effects on a comparable machine (50% faster processor, no SSD, nVidia GT520 video), and I'm very happy with my performance (video could be better in games, but this card was $60 four-five years ago; next year's tax refund is partly earmarked for an upgrade).

Edit: relative to space, I have Kubuntu installed in a 20 GB root partition, with home folder sharing a 67+ GB partition with another OS -- runs fine, and I've got about 11 GB free space in the root partition (haven't installed GIMP and Inkscape yet, but they'll only take a couple GB between them). If you put your home on the spinning drive, the SSD will have plenty of room for a boot partition and the OS.
    Last edited by Silent Observer; Aug 14th 2014 at 10:05 AM.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 8th 2020
    Local Time
    10:32 PM
    I have (had, ~two weeks ago it grew legs and walked off) a 32 GB USB3 flash drive with 64-bit Kubuntu 14.04.
    I sometimes used it on the company's Thinkpad T430s with an i3 and 4GB of RAM.
    It worked really well and I see no reason why your system wouldn't be better!

I had it partitioned with 14GB for root, 16GB /home and the remainder swap.
    It is possible to install on less root but this will cause problems during a large upgrade where a lot of temporary space is needed for the packages.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Veteran Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 8th 2020
    Local Time
    03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gorivera View Post

Medion Akoya Ultra book S4216 (MD 98487)

Processor: Intel Core I3-3217U quad core, 64 bit
    1.80 Ghz, 3 MB smart cache, hyper-threading
    RAM: 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM
    SSD: 32 GB
    Hard Drive: 1 TB
    Video Card: integrated graphical functions (on the CPU). Shared memory

Can I run Kubuntu 14.04 smoothly with the fancy desktop effects on this configuration?

Also, I am concerned about the amount of space I have on the SSD (where the OS will be installed as well as other applications). According to the Kubuntu page on Wikepedia, the recommended space on the HD/SSD is 10 GB. However when I consulted the Kubuntu Handbook on the "org" site I came across this, "The root ( / ) directory needs at least 25 GBs of space". I only have 32 GB on the SSD, not very much left over.
    My Asus x202e has the same processor. Runs Kubuntu fine.