X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin - Single or Double-click-mode?

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know whether you use the "single click to open files" or the "double click to open files" - mode in Dolphin (/your file-manager).
    I myself use double-click because I find it more intuitive and I have a hard time marking files in single-mode (especially if I want to mark several files using Ctrl+Mouseclick).

Also: How exactly do you browse files and why do you use your method of navigating files? What advantages do you see in your way of navigating files?

Thanks for participating in this little poll of mine ^^
    Oh and a merry Christmas (/Happy Holidays) and a happy new Year to everyone.
    Single click to open
    72.41%
    Double click to open
    27.59%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Caaarl; Dec 27, 2013, 02:24 AM.

Single click drives me crazy. Not quite sure what your questions about browsing flies mean...

Comment

I use single click to open files in Dolphin ... but most of the time I use Krusader as my file manager and I have that set to single click to select files (double click to open).

Season's Greetings to one and all too!
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Single click. Double click wastes energy. As far as selecting files, easy enough with hover and clicking the + that appears in the upper left corner, or ctrl-click.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

Caaarl,
          I use single click in Dolphin. If I want to select multiple files I left click in a blank area (not on a file) and drag up or down diagonally to select them.

I use more or less a standard method for naming file, content and date. I'll use Dolphin to navigate directly to the file if I know where it is. If I can't remember where I stored the file I right click the desktop, then left click Run Command to launch Krunner and type the name of the file there. This works very well as long as I stick to the naming convention.

richb,
          I like your signature! I just noticed it.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks life0riley,

I use Dolphin's find command if I need to find a file. It is powerful searching by file name or word in the file.

Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              Single click drives me crazy. Not quite sure what your questions about browsing flies mean...
              It drives me crazy, too ^^
              I just want to find out why the KDE-Team keeps single-click as standard.

And @all other repliers: I didnt expect that most would use single click. I always find myself struggling when it comes to selecting files (the + is just too small). So for me single-click uses far more energy ^^ (and gets me frustrated because I keep f**cking things up

Comment

Not surprised single is more popular, as of this writing anyway. It just seesm more natural. of course double click is a Windows default and perhaps hard for some to get used to. The plus looks plenty big to me. But to each his own and it is easily changed.
                Rich

Comment

I use single click because I can no longer coordinate a double click due to involuntary hand tremors. I can reliably click once, but getting the second click in within the alloted time is getting harder and harder. Sometimes I get a second click even when I don't want one. Yes, getting old stinks.

BTW, Occam's Razor selects the choice which is the easiest, not necessarily the right one. Physics has painted itself into a dark corner following Occam's advice.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    BTW, Occam's Razor selects the choice which is the easiest, not necessarily the right one. Physics has painted itself into a dark corner following Occam's advice.
                    That is why I said consider it. I did not say always follow it. There are times when it is the best choice, others when it is not. As an engineer I know that well.
                    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Caaarl View Post
                      Also: How exactly do you browse files and why do you use your method of navigating files? What advantages do you see in your way of navigating files?
                      I dump everything into one subdirectory and let Nepomuk have its way with my data. When I need something, I don't waste time navigating up and down an elegant carefully-crafted hierarchy, because (a) my brain doesn't work that way and (2) I'm lazy. So I just search!

Comment

Wow, Steve, you've described my wife's purse exactly, except that she doesn't have a Nepomuk index running on it.
                        Some things have literally disappeared for ever in that bottomless pit!
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Single click. Single left click if I know what's going to happen, single right click if I don't or I want to rename or I want to delete or I want root actions, ect al.
                          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            I use single click because I can no longer coordinate a double click due to involuntary hand tremors. I can reliably click once, but getting the second click in within the alloted time is getting harder and harder. Sometimes I get a second click even when I don't want one. Yes, getting old stinks.
                            I had to give up using a mouse for this reason, and even a trackball failed me after a few months. Now I'm happy with a touchpad. Have you tried one yet? My left hand doesn't tremble as much as my right, and even though I'm right-handed I adapted quickly to using the touchpad with my left.

Yes, single-click in Dolphin drives me crazy, but I still prefer it. I've learned to be careful when selecting a file.

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                              Thanks life0riley,

I use Dolphin's find command if I need to find a file. It is powerful searching by file name or word in the file.

I just tried searching by name or word in the file. This is powerful! I didn't realize I could do this.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X