X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok so make a mount point for the partition
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
    you do not half to call it windows it can be named whatever you like but if you use some thing elce use it in the chown command and the fstab line insted of windows as well!!
    now give your group access to the new folder
    Code:
    sudo chown -hR root:you /mnt/windows
    where "you" is your user name so if it were me doing this it would be "sudo chown -hR root:vinny /mnt/windows" ,,,,,,see.

open fstab for editing with kate
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
    and add this line to the bottom of the file
    /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0"
    and change the line
    Code:
    UUID=416bf55c-8bb6-4e28-876e-a11091a04a42 /               ext4    errors=remoun$
    to
    Code:
    UUID=416bf55c-8bb6-4e28-876e-a11091a04a42 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0       1
    and
    Code:
    UUID=d906b49c-e548-4ce7-b936-9cd15fd1757b none            swap    sw           $
    to
    Code:
    UUID=d906b49c-e548-4ce7-b936-9cd15fd1757b none            swap    sw   0    0
    when you finish editing the file place the cursor on a new line at the bottom of the file and press enter twice then save and close kate.

now just do a
    sudo mount -a
    and your windows data is in /mnt/windows

of course it should show in dolphins places panel any way without doing all this and would be accessible with a click .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      ok so make a mount point for the partition
      Code:
      sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
      you do not half to call it windows it can be named whatever you like but if you use some thing elce use it in the chown command and the fstab line insted of windows as well!!
      now give your group access to the new folder
      Code:
      sudo chown -hR root:you /mnt/windows
      where "you" is your user name so if it were me doing this it would be "sudo chown -hR root:vinny /mnt/windows" ,,,,,,see.

open fstab for editing with kate
      Code:
      kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
      and add this line to the bottom of the file
      and change the line
      Code:
      UUID=416bf55c-8bb6-4e28-876e-a11091a04a42 /               ext4    errors=remoun$
      to
      Code:
      UUID=416bf55c-8bb6-4e28-876e-a11091a04a42 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0       1
      and
      Code:
      UUID=d906b49c-e548-4ce7-b936-9cd15fd1757b none            swap    sw           $
      to
      Code:
      UUID=d906b49c-e548-4ce7-b936-9cd15fd1757b none            swap    sw   0    0
      when you finish editing the file place the cursor on a new line at the bottom of the file and press enter twice then save and close kate.

now just do a and your windows data is in /mnt/windows

of course it should show in dolphins places panel any way without doing all this and would be accessible with a click .

VINNY
      Thank you Vinny all of the above worked like a charm. elder73 (Now 77 )

Comment

Originally posted by elder73 View Post
        Thank you Vinny all of the above worked like a charm. elder73 (Now 77 )
        you are welcome ......now tell me ,,,,,,why now 77 ?
        I just had to ask is it your age and you were 73 when you made the screen name ,,,,,,,

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You got it right... Time flies when you're having fun. I drifted away from Linux as I was working so much with Windows. Over time though I got so sick of all the rubbish that lands into your system via Windows. Never could get completely in control of the pop-ups. Cheers Bill ... alias elder73

Comment

Originally posted by elder73 View Post
            1. Boot into recovery mode root prompt
            2. run "mount -o rw,remount /"
            3. edit fstab with "nano /etc/fstab"

With high hopes I did the above and the main result was a page on "Mount".
            This might have been because the fstab file was borked and mount couldn't get the necessary data to remount the root file system from it...a more complete mount command like 'mount -t ext4 -o rw,remount /dev/sda5 /' would have probably worked, but anyway, glad you got it solved regardless.

Comment

How many of us septuagenarians are there on this forum?
              Never too old to learn
              Ault, CO, USA

Comment

Working...
              X