X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] File indexer not running

Precise 12.04, kde-4.8.80

Is this actually a beta version of kde? Lots of things not working. System settings > Workspace Appearance, and now:

Today I discovered (I don't know how long this has been going on) that file indexing is not working.
    Clicking on the system tray icon brings up a box for "Nepomuk Repository Details - Nepomuk Controller", which says the file indexing service is not running, and "Indexed files: calculating". But it isn't, its just stuck there. The "resume file indexing" button is greyed out.

Going to system settings > Desktop Search > Basic Settings
    we have: "Desktop Search Services are active", but "File indexing service not running", with no indication of why. The "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop" and "Enable Nepomuk File Indexer" buttons are both checked.

I tried, based on other posts, deleting the ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk directory and rebooting, no improvement.

Followng also observed:

Code:
    greenman@Wolfenstein:~$ ps aux | grep nepomuk
    greenman  4572  0.1  0.3 365124 31392 ?        S    14:58   0:00 /usr/bin/nepomukcontroller -session 1012114614dda000131069812200000033420022_1341957393_848794
    greenman  4828  0.1  0.3 369668 25808 ?        Sl   14:58   0:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_feeder --identifier akonadi_nepomuk_feeder
    greenman  5319  0.0  0.0  10356   912 pts/2    S+   15:00   0:00 grep nepomuk
    and

Code:
    greenman@Wolfenstein:~$ ps aux | grep virtuoso
    root      3589  0.3  2.7 1929980 221540 ?      Ssl  14:58   0:02 /usr/bin/virtuoso-t +wait +configfile /etc/virtuoso-opensource-6.1/virtuoso.ini
    greenman  5724  0.0  0.0  10356   912 pts/2    S+   15:11   0:00 grep virtuoso
    Seems to be nothing in /var/log/virtuoso-opensource-6.1.virtuoso.log

Maybe it doesn't coexist with virtuoso-opensource-6.1?

So I tried:
    sudo service virtuoso-opensource-6.1 stop
    ps aux confirms it stopped.
    Then:
    Code:
    greenman@Wolfenstein:/etc/init.d$ sudo service virtuoso-nepomuk start
    Starting OpenLink Virtuoso Open-Source Edition: /etc/init.d/virtuoso-nepomuk: 96: cd: can't cd to /var/lib/virtuoso/db
    /etc/init.d/virtuoso-nepomuk: 96: exit: Illegal number: -1
    So I did a reinstall of virtuoso-nepomuk, then rebooted. Now:

Code:
    greenman@Wolfenstein:/etc/init.d$ sudo service virtuoso-nepomuk start
    Starting OpenLink Virtuoso Open-Source Edition: The VDBMS server process terminated prematurely
    after starting up.
    ps aux confirms that virtuoso is not running.

I did at one time disable virtuoso-nepomuk in order to use virtuoso-opensource-6.1, but I think the above should have reversed this process. I have disabled /etc/init.d/virtuoso-opensource-6.1, and /etc/init.d/virtuoso-nepomuk is enabled. Now I have hit a brick wall. Any ideas?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

The 4.9 RC 1 is 4.8.95, sounds like you still have the older beta version. Also, when I added the PPA, just doing an apt-get upgrade said it was going to leave a bunch of stuff un-upgraded. I needed to do a dist-upgrade, instead.

Comment

Which PPA are you using to get the most recent beta kde?

I am at this point thinking the nepomuk problem is actually a virtuoso problem, so in this case it may not be related to kde versions.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I would bet it is!
        Here are virtuoso packages that i have installed:
        Code:
        dpkg -l | grep virtuoso
        ii  [B]virtuoso-minimal                  [/B]6.1.4+dfsg1-1ubuntu1       all          high-performance database - core dependency package
        ii  [B]virtuoso-opensource-6.1-bin[/B]        6.1.4+dfsg1-1ubuntu1      amd64        high-performance database - binaries
        ii  [B]virtuoso-opensource-6.1-common[/B]     6.1.4+dfsg1-1ubuntu1      amd64        high-performance database - common files
        + libvirtodbc0
        No virtuoso-nepomuk , no issues with indexing (at least with starting it )
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I have all of those, they have been reinstalled and dpkg-reconfigured.

Next step i think is to install kubuntu on a vm and see if I can trace down the relevant files.

Comment

What is the ppa for the most recent version (which I guess is 4.9x) for kde? Looks like 4.8.80 is just plain broken.

I loaded kubuntu-precise froma cd into a vm. Looks like the whole nepmuk thing is being started by kdeinit4, and not from /etc/init.d
            Is there a config file somewhere that tells kdeinit to start nepomuk, as it looks like that whole process tree is not running in the problem system.

In the new kubuntu in the vm, which is kde-4.8.2, looking at the files in the kde-runtime package, there is a whole bunch of nepomuk stuff. Most of that is missing in the kde-runtime package for 4.8.80.

Comment

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/nepomu...er/001859.html
              https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nepomuk-core
              sigpic

Comment

From searching, it appears that kde-4.9 is not yet available for precise, so I guess I wait.

So far, I have not been able to figure out which ppa the 4.8.80 came from.

$ apt-cache policy kde-runtime
                kde-runtime:
                Installed: 4:4.8.80-0ubuntu1~precise1~ppa1
                Candidate: 4:4.8.80-0ubuntu1~precise1~ppa1
                Version table:
                *** 4:4.8.80-0ubuntu1~precise1~ppa1 0
                100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

This doesn't tell me, in any way I can figure out, which ppa it came from. It doesn't seem to be backports or experimental. I would certainly like to shut this one out as I wouldn't really want this unstable a version on my system (for future reference, too late to fix it now). beta-backports is not enabled.

Edit: What I would really like to do is revert kde back to a stable version, but from reading various posts, I gather this is not reliably possible. Especially since we can't determine which ppa this thing came from. Will kde-4.9 be available for precise when it goes stable? This 4.8.80 has really borked the system, and I can't figure out how it got on there in the first place...
                Last edited by doctordruidphd; Jul 11, 2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Have quick look on the news page, should be 4.8.90
                  http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.8.90
                  Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd View Post
                    System settings > Workspace Appearance
                    This should work fine if you don't have incompatible window decorations installed. There are some window tabbing changes in kwin 4.9, and old versions of some window decorations (qtcurve, for example) cause the workspace appearance kcm to crash.
                    Last edited by kubicle; Jul 12, 2012, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                      Will try the backports/beta and see how 4.9rc2 does.
                      Will try removing qtcurve, oxygen and crystal, if 4.9 doesn't do it for me. Not looking forward to what gtk apps will look like without qtcurve...

Comment

Not looking forward to what gtk apps will look like without qtcurve...
                        You don't have to remove qtcurve widget styles (kde-style-qtcurve, gtk2-engines-qtcurve), just the window decoration (kwin-style-qtcurve).

Quantal's kwin-style-qtcurve version already works with kde4.9, but you're running Precise, right?

Comment

From searching, it appears that kde-4.9 is not yet available for precise, so I guess I wait.

So far, I have not been able to figure out which ppa the 4.8.80 came from.

Edit: What I would really like to do is revert kde back to a stable version, but from reading various posts, I gather this is not reliably possible. Especially since we can't determine which ppa this thing came from. Will kde-4.9 be available for precise when it goes stable? This 4.8.80 has really borked the system, and I can't figure out how it got on there in the first place...
                          For a brief time in early June, 4.8.80 snuck into the Kubuntu Backports PPA. It arrived on my T520 running Precise on 11 June. Some chatter on #kubuntu-devel indicated this shouldn't have happened. When 4.8.90 was uploaded to Kubuntu Beta, I dist-upgraded without incident.

Comment

I have just now realized you're using 4.8.80, thought it was 4.8.90
                            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1011683
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks to all. I just dist-upgraded from the backports-beta ppa to kde-4.8.90, and file indexing seems to be alive and well. I will try removing the troublesome kwin-styles,
                              Thanks again, issue solved.

Comment

Working...
                              X