This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Qt-based text editor that supports RTF

As far as I can tell, Kate doesn't support RTF files. Is there a Qt-based text editor that does? Preferably something that isn't as bulky as OpenOffice.

Re: Looking for a Qt-based text editor that supports RTF

Qscintilla

The 2.5 version is in the repository (at least in my Lucid Lynx repository)

QtCreator is also in the repository. Although it is not RTF, it is the best Qt4 GUI RAD on the planet.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Qscintilla seems to be more for programming.

I mean text editor like Notepad or Wordpad on Windows. I don't need fancy word processing features. Just the ability to write in .txt and .rtf formats.

Kate opens .rtf files, but they come out all garbled. I can use Wine to run Wordpad to open the files, or I can use OpenOffice, which is kind of bulky. I was hoping for a lightweight Qt app. Not something meant for programming, but something for writing stories and other stuff.

I guess I still come from the mindset of a "text editor" being something where you write notes or short stories instead of something where you write code.

Comment

Ted, an easy rich text processor

Installed the ted-2.21-i386.deb file. I added a menu entry under Utilities, as Ted doesn't do this for you. The Command line is just: /usr/local/bin/Ted

I created an icon for Ted (48x48 .png format) to use with it, which I'm providing below.
        Attached Files
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

AbiWord though it isn't QT AFAIK.

Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Oops, my apologies!

When I saw "Qt" my mind immediately thought "programming" because that's what I used to do for a living before I retired.

SnowHog's "Ted" is a good suggestion.

KWord, a light but powerful word processor, is also in the repository and is a KDE4 Office app which also stands alone.

Another is Abiword, also in the repository.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X