This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does one use Ktorrent?

I hope you will forgive the vagueness of that question. I will elaborate. I know what P2P means, and I've used something similar in the past on a windows machine. ButI'm quite the noob (somehow managed to build my own box, and upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10) at linux and I don't really understand how to get things going in Ktorrent.

Thanks.

Why can't life be more like Star Trek?

Re: How does one use Ktorrent?

open a torrent file and Ktorrent does the rest
    KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

I guess that's what I need to learn. Where do I get torrent files, and what are they?
      Why can't life be more like Star Trek?

Comment

A torrent file is a metadata file which is needed for the bittorrent client to connect to trackers and discover peers through various means. Torrents are most often found as links on web pages, where one may simply click the link to open the torrent in their client program. For example, you can get Kubuntu torrents in the Bittorrents section of the Kubuntu download page.

A tracker is a server which tracks torrent metadata and peer statistics. The newest generation bittorrent clients, including KTorrent, can download torrents without using trackers because they use DHT and peer exchange protocols to discover other clients with the torrent.

That is my half-baked explanation, now read on to learn more.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I am considering that you are using torrent for first time. so giving step by step actions for downloading.
          If it is tooo basic for you.. or you already knew this.. forgive me

Alt+F2: ktorrent

application will start. In right had side upper corner there is a search box.
          There will also be a caption on right side saying Engine.
          These are the engines which have torrent files. (isohunt is what i like 8) )
          select any one engine. Type in search box what you want..
          you will see search results. select one which has good number of seeds.
          and download the torrent file.
          when you click on torrent file it will open with ktorrent.
          check the files to download and click start/ok.. the download has begun.
          don't forget to put limit on download/upload rate if you are going to browse for some heavy stuff..
          asus A52N
          Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
          AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
          windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Slyck's site is a good place to start if you are new to bittorrent and other p2p stuff.

http://www.slyck.com/bt.php

Mark

Comment

Working...
            X