This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Requirements/Recommedation

On my other PC I have 512mb ram and a 1.8ghz AMD Sempron processor and I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it and it ran alright but it froze a lot and ran very sluggish but I'm 100% sure it's because of my PC's spec's.

My question is does the Kubuntu 7.10 have lower system requirements than Ubuntu 7.10? I'm going to assume it doesn't since it's basically the same thing other than the environment, right?

If I am right could anyone suggest & link me to an older version of Ubuntu/Kubuntu that would run smoothly with my current specs? I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks

Re: System Requirements/Recommedation

Ubuntu System Requirements
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements
    Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)

On my other PC I have 512mb ram and a 1.8ghz AMD Sempron processor and I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it and it ran alright but it froze a lot and ran very sluggish but I'm 100% sure it's because of my PC's spec's.
    I have AMD 2500 (1.8 GHz) + 1 G memory and Kubuntu is running fine. I tried Compiz Fusion and Beryl in the Feisty (7.04) and with bells and whistles no problems =>

Recommended for Desktop Effects

Desktop Effects are an experimental feature which has been introduced with the release of Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn). Desktop Effects provide various special graphical effects for your desktop to make it look and feel more fun and easier to use. However, they require more resources than a standard Ubuntu desktop, and so you will need a more powerful computer in order to use them.

Desktop Effects can only be turned on if you have a graphics card which is supported. For a list of supported graphics cards, see DesktopEffects for more information.

*1.2 GHz x86 processor
    *256 MB of system memory (RAM)
    *8 GB of disk space
    *Supported graphics card (see DesktopEffects)
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by omgyjya

I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it and it ran alright but it froze a lot and ran very sluggish but I'm 100% sure it's because of my PC's spec's.
      I'm only 65% sure that it's a problem with your specs.

If you open a Konsole window, and enter "top" and just let it stay open for awhile, it will show you the process that is using the most resources. Sometimes a default installation sets up processes that aren't really needed (strigi-daemon, bluetooth, etc.). So it's possible that you can tweak that installation and it will run fine.

On the other hand, Firefox has been hanging up on my super-fast hardware and acting like it is on a P-II or something, so don't be too hasty to blame the hardware.

Comment

1. (Experimental) PIII/500/372 MB - will freeze every now and then - but only when doing many things at the same thing. (Well, many as in the view of my youngest granddaughter.)

2. Laptop - Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook, PIII mobile/500/256. Really no problems. (But this is built for work.)

3. Dual PIII/766/512. No problems so far.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Originally posted by omgyjya

I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it and it ran alright but it froze a lot and ran very sluggish but I'm 100% sure it's because of my PC's spec's.
          I'm only 65% sure that it's a problem with your specs.

If you open a Konsole window, and enter "top" and just let it stay open for awhile, it will show you the process that is using the most resources. Sometimes a default installation sets up processes that aren't really needed (strigi-daemon, bluetooth, etc.). So it's possible that you can tweak that installation and it will run fine.

On the other hand, Firefox has been hanging up on my super-fast hardware and acting like it is on a P-II or something, so don't be too hasty to blame the hardware.
          Yeah, I turned off all desktop effects and what not and it still acted sluggish.
          Can you tell me where to go to turn off processes? I'm new to Ubuntu, thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X