This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing a read only folder to XP users

I am seriously struggling to get a folder shared on my Kubuntu desktop to other windows users on my network. I want to make it so I can share the folder /home/james/Desktop/Share with read-only access to XP users that can supply a proper login and password. I've installed samba and have gone through the following process up until now.
    1) Went into the Sharing section of the System Settings menu, enabled Local Network file Sharing and set it to Advanced sharing (with Use Samba checked).
    2) I've added the appropriate folder and called the name of the share "SHARED".
    3) I've tried looking into the users section of the "More Samba Options" dialog, but I can't figure out how to set a password for the folder let alone a username.

Sorry if this is a rather basic request, but I've really tried to figure it out on my own by browsing around, but have yielded no helpful results.
    - James

Re: Sharing a read only folder to XP users

setting the password can be done from the command line with sudo smbpasswd USERNAME.
    adding a new user is smbpasswd -a USERNAME

take a peek at the man page for more details (in konqueror, go to man:smbpasswd)

I did my configuration from the manually by editing /etc/samba/smb.conf... there should be some examples in the file.

Comment

Re: Sharing a read only folder to XP users

Minimalistic approach: http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....ridge:smb_conf

Comment

Working...
      X