Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog - how to fix?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog - how to fix?

Why do I always get:

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
    debconf: (Dialog frontend will not work on a dumb terminal, an emacs shell buffer, or without a controlling terminal.)
    debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline

i.e. how do I 'get' 'Dialog'?

Re: debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog - how to fix?

its more complicated than that.
    execute this command:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure debconf
    and choose kde, since you're on kubuntu/kde.
    <br />

Comment

Thanks.

But this begs the question ... since, as you noted, this is Kubuntu ... "Why doesn't it come that way?"

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedite
        its more complicated than that.
        Can you explain? From running the command you posted, I see Dialog is a full-screen text based method. It's curious that just installing a 'dialog' package isn't appropriate.

Granted, there are more graphical choices. But given the lack of 'dialog', one might think it should come defaulted to readline.

No?

Comment

i will explain. by more complicated than what you said in the first post, i meant its more complicated in principle, not practicality. before, without a debconf ui, (introduced recently), you had to configure certain packages and other things via command line interface (cli). if you ran a graphical package manager, it was a problem with those particular types of packages. (i.e. flash plugin & sun-java). (you'd get a broken/unconfigured package essentially, until you configured it via cli). now, with a debconf ui, it allows you to choose how to configure those types of packages. its pretty self explanatory from there....kde=use kde | gnome=use gnome | dialog=use cli | readline=don't ask to configure anything. (readline is not recommended for usual desktop use i would assume). (before the debconf ui i believe you could configure this use via editing a config file, i forget which one, and now this ui is just frontend/ui in effect to that config file).

Originally posted by bswitzer
          But this begs the question ... since, as you noted, this is Kubuntu ... "Why doesn't it come that way?"
          it does now by default i believe. you prolly upgraded to feisty from edgy like i did, right?
          <br />

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedite
            ... before, without a debconf ui, (introduced recently), ...
            Ah! Recent introduction, and this aspect fell through the cracks. OK.

Originally posted by bswitzer
            it does now by default i believe. you prolly upgraded to feisty from edgy like i did, right?
            (-: Good guess!

Thanks for passing on the wisdom.

Comment

no prob. thats one of the reasons this forum is here.
              <br />

Comment

Working...
              X