X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System requirements?

Hey,

I'm trying to revive some old 98SE PCs I have lying around my house, and I wanted to know what are the system requirements for using XFCE.

When I say that, I mean how much to get it and a few other apps (AbiwWord, Gaim, and Firefox are the first that come to mind) running together, without much lag.

I had a question about IceWM too, while I'm at it. Can there be desktop icons with IceWM?

Cheers,
    Joe.

Re: System requirements?

Originally posted by Jorophose
    I wanted to know what are the system requirements for using XFCE
    http://www.xubuntu.org/get#requirements

Comment

Thanks penguin.ch .

Time to make a quick trip to the local PC store then.

Comment

... or revert to some (even) more "light-weight" version of Linux, e.g. Damn Small or Puppy.

Comment

To be honest with you, Damn Small's WM (Is it Fluxbox?) wouldn't be a good idea to use. I'd prolly be fine with it, but my sisters are using it as well, and well they're not the most computer-literate people out there, and would probably freak out if they can't find a start menu.

I'll give dsl and puppy a shot anyways, it's always a good idea to experiment.

Comment

To be honest with you, Damn Small's WM (Is it Fluxbox?) wouldn't be a good idea to use. I'd prolly be fine with it, but my sisters are using it as well, and well they're not the most computer-literate people out there, and would probably freak out if they can't find a start menu.
            O.k. then, why not giving Xubuntu a try - provided your machine is able to boot from CD, for Xubuntu is a "real" live system ... however, Puppy should do the trick, even for your sisters.

HTH
            Birdy

Comment

I had a question about IceWM too, while I'm at it. Can there be desktop icons with IceWM?
              Yes. But you will need to use some "helper" program.

http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-9.html#ss9.6

BTW, I didn't find any big speed differences in old machines by using KDE or XFCE. IceWm in the other hand where much quicker loading apps. It's all about feelings, no true benchmark. And of course, talking about feeling YMWV.

Javier.

Comment

Thanks guys, once again, this is a huge help; just yesterday explorer panicked on me (suspecting foulplay >) and I couldn't boot up.

I was planning to bring out my backup PC to view the internet and download Damn Small, but oddly enough the moment my sister came on to go to FaceBook, Opera launched normally, and explorer didn't crash.

I'm not risking that again, so I'm burning a copy of dsl ASAP.

Oh, I can't run Xubuntu as a livecd on any PC except for one, and on that one it'd be too slow.

Comment

Working...
                X